RIP Jessi Combs (1 Viewer)

I believe she was the Total Package. Cute, talented in welding, fabrication, spokesperson, TV personality, driver,
fun upbeat, and a truly great person. She went out doing what she loved.
RIP Jessi

After watching the news about this accident, it took me a while to see anything about the crash info.
I saw a clip of the speed record vehicle. Well it is the complete USAF F-104 fighter minus the wings, with tricycle gear attached.
This was a widowmaker when it was in active duty. Very fast time to climb. RIP

This news breaks my heart to read. For some probably selfish reason, now, after we lost Scott Kalitta - someone I knew personally and looked up to - now whenever I hear of ANY racing related tragedy.... it hits me like a ton of cinder blocks and brings back sad memories and feelings. I am so sorry for her family and friends. May God be with them.

The loss of Jessi Combs hit me and my wife pretty hard. Last weekend Jenifer was getting her injected nitro license and on the second pass missed getting the chutes on the first motion (chutes at 1200 ft, brakes at say 1400, same hand). Dark of night and, we didn't realize it at the time but track lights after the finish line not working right. Car hit the sand fast, swapped ends several times in the wet sand, rolled, etc. But for the bruises Jenifer is fine, and the car is already being repaired, but what if.....

Its hard to explain the spirit of a racer. They are driven by another force, and that same kind of person is all around us, but not in the majority. What's sad is to read the "why was she doing that" comments about Jessi's wreck.

Some of us stand outside the fire and watch, others have to be in there.....

Standing Outside the Fire

Garth Brooks

We call them cool
Those hearts who had no scars to show
The ones that never do let go
And risk the tables bein' turned

We call them fools
Who have to dance within the flame
Who chance the sorrow and the shame
That always comes with getting burned
But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

She died doing what she lived for. We can take solace in that. However, when you have a 50,000 horsepower jet strapped to your butt, you take your chances. I hope the Brits have success with Bloodhound SSC. They only have their own selves to beat. Andy Green already holds the record at 763mph. I also hear Craig Breedlove has something in the works. We'll see what happens.

I didn't know that jet cars did speed runs anywhere but the salt flats.. RIP.... :(
Bonneville is a salt and only has 7 miles of racing surface at the most and it has deteriorated over the years. Alvord Desert has 10 miles and is a playa, an alkaline dry lake bed. When the land speed record was set at 763mph, it was done at Black Rock Desert in Nevada, which had about 13 miles of racing surface and was also a dry lake bed. Unfortunately, the Burning Man thing has ruined that course. The same team will attempt to break their own record with Bloodhound SSC at a 12 mile dry lake bed in South Africa, but who knows when. They want to go 1000 mph, but I don't see that. Best of luck and be safe. That's all I can say.

After watching the news about this accident, it took me a while to see anything about the crash info.
I saw a clip of the speed record vehicle. Well it is the complete USAF F-104 fighter minus the wings, with tricycle gear attached.
This was a widowmaker when it was in active duty. Very fast time to climb. RIP

There is no way to tell if anything could have stayed in tact crashing at that speed, but the fact that this was like the above statement has some real concerns. There is a reason that these cars have to meet safety standards to run on the salt or any meet sanctioned by SCTA - BNI or FIA. There was no way to put an SFI approved cage in that modified airplane or do several other safety requirements. A plastic bubble and an aluminum skin is not a roll cage. It may or may not have made the difference, but I can tell you that the Salt (and in this case Dirt) is not as smooth or forgiving as it looks. It can litterly beat the Hell out of you at speed. I am surprised that an airplane could take that pounding and stay together on the ground for that many runs. I made one run at just over 300 in a streamliner with no suspension with solid wheels on the front instead of tires and thaught I was inside a steel drum being beat on by a bunch of hammers. As much as people complain about rules there really is a reason (and need) for them. By the way I got set down for doing that without approval and should have.

I sat at the track last night thinking about Jessi, she would stop in the last few years on Sunday to say hi before she got engulfed in SEMA where she was in high demand. That was our chance to catch up in person and I miss that. She was the VERY close friend that I didn't get to see very often, but that didn't diminish our friendship. I think we all have one or two of those. I loved getting a text when she had a personal or career success, and when I would send her a note about one of mine she was always enthusiastic about it. Last was just a couple of weeks before the accident when I sent her pics of my new custom bike and offered it up whenever she was in town. She said she might have to visit just to take it for a spin. I'll miss never seeing another Broadway Show with her cuz we saw a few, it was our "Thing" and I can't imagine ever finding another "Play Date" like Jessi.......

Alan

Alan like I said before, to a guy she would've been the catch of a lifetime.
The total package

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back