Rickie Smith Goes Turbo, Teams With Petty and Pro Line (1 Viewer)

Stevie Fast has been saying to anyone that listens that Pro Mod is going to be all turbo cars in 2 years. Rickie changing over is a BIG deal, and likely the first of several to make the change.

You are right Chris, it is a BIG deal! As Rickie points out in the article, unless the NHRA does something help the nitrous cars (reducing weight and/or increasing cubic inches), which they haven't, they will become a thing of the past in Pro Mod. And now with Rickie and Khalid running turbos, the only 2 nitrous cars left from last year are Chad Green and Bob Rahaim. Team Galot is now teaming up with Pro Line and Steve Petty, they are going to run Pro Chargers in their 2 cars in the Pro Boost class in the PDRA. I know that the NHRA is considering allowing them to run in 2020.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/galot-pro-line-team-for-procharger-pro-boost-effort-in-2019/

You are right Chris, it is a BIG deal! As Rickie points out in the article, unless the NHRA does something help the nitrous cars (reducing weight and/or increasing cubic inches), which they haven't, they will become a thing of the past in Pro Mod. And now with Rickie and Khalid running turbos, the only 2 nitrous cars left from last year are Chad Green and Bob Rahaim. Team Galot is now teaming up with Pro Line and Steve Petty, they are going to run Pro Chargers in their 2 cars in the Pro Boost class in the PDRA. I know that the NHRA is considering allowing them to run in 2020.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/galot-pro-line-team-for-procharger-pro-boost-effort-in-2019/

I don't think it is only nitrous cars making the change. You are going to see some blower cars make the change too. Once that starts happening, then it cascades into everyone running turbos in very short order, and a lot of cars sitting on the sidelines. Rickie said he is spending 100s of thousands of dollars to make the change, not everyone can do that.

I just can't get excited about drag racing cars with turbos. When the blown cars are gone then I will not be watching pro mod. :(

It’s going to be hard to reduce the weight on a nitrous car and increasing the engine size will help but more than anything they need to slow down the other combinations. The current nitrous combination is close to being maxed out performance wise. They just need to restrict the blower overdrive and turbos boost as needed to keep them in the high 5.60s, low 5.70s. This isn’t the first time that Ricky has purchased a turbo car. The last one was sold to Stevenson prior to it hitting the track. I also saw a rumor somewhere that Bob Rahaim might not be out as much this year or at all. That would leave just Chad Green as the lone nitrous regular. It will be interesting to see if the pro charger makes it way into the mix. That combination has some serious potential.

And there’s the inherent problem with having a headsup class made up of a variety of combinations. It’s the very nature of racing that everyone gravitates towards the most competitive combo available.

I just can't get excited about drag racing cars with turbos. When the blown cars are gone then I will not be watching pro mod. :(
And it's funny because I'm not really a fan of nitrous cars. (not that I don't like them, just not sad if they go). But then again, for some weird reason I like anything with a high pitched whine like blown alky, turbos and jets. Weird, I know.

Kind of ironic the ole Ricky was one of the guys to lead the charge against Buddy Ingersoll’s Turbo V6 in IHRA Pro Stock back in the day, now he’s making the switch to turbos in PM. Maybe not Ironic, but thought it was interesting at least.

Pro mod is my favorite class by far. However, if it goes all turbo or pro charger eventually I dont think that will continue. Just not a fan of the hair dryers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back