"RAISING THE ROOF" Challenge (1 Viewer)

Unk

Nitro Member
Rodger Brogdon and the RoofTec Racing team have thrown down the gauntlet to raise assistance for one of drag racings best, Lynn Nickerson. NHRA’s division 4 and national event announcer is once again dealing with cancer and Rodger Brogdon has issued a challenge to all of the racing community to answer the call. Brogdon’s RoofTec Racing team has anted up a $5000.00 initial contribution and challenges each and every one of the NHRA POWERade teams to meet or beat the team’s challenge.

Lynn Nickerson was diagnosed and treated for esophageal cancer in 2004.With the assistance of the late Shelly Howard, her husband Paul and their friend and associate Dr. Roger Sieman, treatment proved to be highly successful for Lynn during his stay in Oklahoma City.

Recently though, the self- employed Nickerson was greeted with the news that some spots were showing on his kidneys and he is now facing additional treatments to address these latest issues. Nickerson has been the NHRA Division 4 announcer for the last 10 years and considers each and every one of the division’s racers his personal friends. His employment as a courier takes him across the state of Texas each and every day, and allows him the opportunity to visit many of the division’s racers on a regular basis. His knowledge of their off track life adds extra dimension to his announcing on both the Lucas Oil Drag racing tour as well as his forays onto the national event announcing stage, and everyone has come to consider Lynn their close, personal friend.

At time like this though, is when we rally to help our friends, and RoofTec Racings challenge comes as the NHRA tour rolls into Lynn’s hometown for the O’Reilly Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex this weekend. Rodger Brogdon has started the ball rolling with the “RAISE THE ROOF” challenge, and looks to each and every one of the teams on the POWERade tour to answer the call for assistance. Donations this weekend can be handled at the track through Rodger Brogdon’s Comp eliminator team, Bob Unkefer in the sportsman pit area or Larry and Linda Smiley with Racers for Christ.

For those not able to be in Ennis, TX this weekend an account has been established for contributions. Donations can be sent to Lynn Nickerson, in care of,

STERLING BANK
Attn, Tamesha Smallwood
6333 FM 1960 W
Houston, TX, 77069

The challenge has been issued, let’s all work together to lend assistance to one of our own!

Unc - we're in! Competition Printing and PressLease will donate $250 each. I'll get in touch with the Smileys at RFC tomorrow to make sure we get the checks to the right place. Maters - step up and help! - Jim

Lynn had made some cameo appearances in the Erica Ender's movie.

He's one of D4's finest of the "Good guys"

I wish him much luck!

Thanks

Jim, Kelly, Jim,

appreciate the support, response @ the track has been great, and haven't gotten around to see half of the teams yet!

An yes Jenn, I am racing, even get a first round bye tomorrow, Fred Henson's awesome Hemi spun a bearing today.

For the many that don't know him, Lynn is a great guy, and needs everyone's support! Rodger got the ball rolling, we ALL need to keep it going.

Unk

Good Luck tomorrow. We had planned on going to Dallas but decided to skip it to attend a local racers funeral.

We are entered for Vegas but only two cars. Will you be there?

Vegas

Depends on Rodger Brogdon and the RoofTec team. There is no Comp @ the Vegas national, might/probably be @ the divisional & Pomona.

Sorry to hear about the funeral, my condolences to the family.

Unk

Back to the topic - Lynn is one of the genuinely nice guys in drag racing and his medical problems have not erased his big smile or dampened his enthusiasm. He calls everyone "Buddy" and means it.

He deserves our support and our prayers as he faces another big hurdle. I plan to do both.

- Larry

Unk - finally figured out how to fill out the check (duh) - it's on the way. I think I heard Lynn was in the tower with Alan today - probably the best medicine he could get!
Did you get an address (and maybe an email) for Lynn?

Sorry for the delay

I just despise it when work gets in the way of the racing world!

Talked to Lynn and he provided this address for anyone that wants to send cards or letters.

Lynn Nickerson
P O Box 7913
Fort Worth, TX 76111

Right now Lynn is awaiting the decision on treatment. Was supposed to know today, unfortunately as of 3:30 he was still awaiting the call from the Dr's office.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as I know.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Unk

I talked to Lynn yesterday (the 15th) and he was scheduled for another chemo treatment today. The latest test results showed some success in reducing the size of his tumors and the Dr's are encouraged by what they've seen.
Lynn still has a ways to go before he's out of the woods and everyones prayers would certainly still be appreciated.
His weight is holding steady at 115-120 pounds and for Lynn that's a good thing, he had been down below 100.
His battle has been tough, and Lynn sounded tired when we talked. He was upset about missing the weekends Lucas Oil event at Houston but said he would be back before we knew it.
I hope so, I miss my friend and announcing partner.

Unk

Thanks for the update Unk. I started thinking about him because of the LODRS race.

Are you going to be there? What's your race schedule lookin' like?

I'm in Houston announcing the event.
Also trying to get the handle on a H/SA 69 Camaro for this season.
Also doing PR for Rodger Brogdon new PS team, quite a lap today, huh?!

Unk

I think I saw a .59 or something around there?

We'll be in Chandler next weekend. Just two cars though.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back