Question for engineers (1 Viewer)

a couple of screenshots from an article published in march, 2023 by the brainerd dispatch.......a local paper who thinks people want to pay a fee
to read their drivel.......not me.......i looked this guy up. he's a doctor, which means when he says he lives 2miles as the crow flies, he lives on gull, or one of other
very close lakes to BIR, with all shoreline residences in upper 1%, not just a little wealthy, way wealthy. bitching about the racetrack that was there years before he
even considered living in brainerd, maybe even before he was born, yet he bitches about the sound, and his precious trees that the wind knocked over.
cry me a river you entitled son of a bitch. BIR property taxes can't be cheap either. thank goodness kristy has 28 weekends booked this summer, for a facility that
is frozen almost 1/2 the year ...... and now the crow wing sheriff's dept. has to get in the middle of this because local wealthy residents have enough money to pull
strings.......just like the $100k homes being built across hwy from bandimere.......sorry, i get that businesses have a life span, but when they are successful, yet forced
to change, move or close, because somebody decides for them......it makes me cringe.

Attachments

• BIR1.JPG
    BIR1.JPG
    679.9 KB · Views: 58
  • BIR2.JPG
    BIR2.JPG
    855.1 KB · Views: 59
I heard last year that Bandimere sold for $100 million. If you make $1 million a year profit and you can cash out for 100 years profit you can‘t blame them when they do it. I only hope they decide to relocate to continue the tradition.

Bandimere wasn't sold last year. This deal happened within the last few months.

Sound walls do a pretty good job. If you're in the pits at Pomona, you can't hear the sportsman cars going down the track. Englishtown also bought many years after constructing the sound walls. They certainly do knock down the decibels but the Nitro cars are so loud you can't ever contain all of that noise.

Alan

Alan
While it doesn’t make a difference in the end, I had a conversation with two gentlemen who work for a certain drag racing publication that has held races at Bandimere Speedway in the past and are close to the Bandimere family tell me that it was sold and it was a done deal. The deal may have been finalized recently, it has been in the works much longer. I reached out to Bandimere from the grandstands in Indy during the US Nationals about it. It’s dated September 2nd 2022.

Attachments

• 851271FC-F3F1-411D-B3B5-1ACDD28C6A28.jpeg
    851271FC-F3F1-411D-B3B5-1ACDD28C6A28.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 63
Sears Point is all natural.

let it be or get it in gear. Sad really. I worked in a shop on the grounds for a while. Beautiful

Sign me up for a house where you can hear racecars. Ever since I was a kid, I could hear racing from somewhere here in town when the wind blows just right.

Nothing like it, and you're broken if you think otherwise.

Chris,

Not arguing but the Bandimere's have had offers made to buy the land on a regular basis for years, and they always said no. This time it was yes.

Alan

Unfortunatly this conversation is what has become of the world today. In the past "you were here first, ran a legitimate business, did'nt bother anyone, even the cows,
A few years ago, Cecil County was sued by a nearby farmer who said his cows stopped producing milk because of the noise.

I admit some of those race track owners cashed out too.

Can't blame anyone for cashing out when they have the chance to get a lot of money for themselves and their families.

I live near Maple Grove and for years the people living in the same township paid no real estate tax because of how much money Maple Grove pulled in. I heard that may have changed in recent years. Unfortunately, I am just outside of that area to benefit but still enjoy hearing the track on occasion when louder classes are running.
One thing the former owners and managers at Maple Grove did was to maintain good relationships with the residents who lived nearby. The track respected the residents. During the nationals, the track never tried to prevent residents from making money from parking and RV parking. That's one reason Maple Grove could have people living directly across the street and not complain. I hope the Koretskys continue to do the same. There's no reason to believe they will not.

I live near National Trails, it gets loud at times and runs late sometimes. It doesn't bother me but I can see where some people closer may be annoyed.
And before anyone chimes in, my house was here 3 years BEFORE they broke ground to build the track.

I live near National Trails, it gets loud at times and runs late sometimes. It doesn't bother me but I can see where some people closer may be annoyed.
And before anyone chimes in, my house was here 3 years BEFORE they broke ground to build the track.

Wow you've been there a long time then.....did you know the Rader's?

I am a recording artist/record producer, and I have built a few recording studios. Sound control and sound proofing in a recording studio is everything. Think of sound-waves as rings in the water when you throw a rock into a lake. Those sound waves go on forever until they hit something to stop them, which usually means reflecting them back to where they started, or they hit something that absorbs them, and they stop and don't go back to their source. There are several issues to deal with when you have the intense volume and sound pressure level of nitro drag racing.

The best way in my opinion to control the sound volume of nitro drag racing would be to have an enclosed environment, but that would be impossible as you would have to build a quarter mile long enclosed building (dragstrip) with walls and a roof with sound absorption material. No way that is going to happen, plus you would need insane ventilation built for sound reduction, as well as climate control for comfort. Again that will never happen, but that would control a lot of the sound and volume to the outside world.

You can also build very high walls on either side of the dragstrip that have sound absorbing material on them, but they would also have to be a quarter mile long, both sides of the track, and behind the starting line. That would help some, but still some of the sound would go up above the dragstrip where there is no roof. I don't think any track owner is going to build two very tall quarter mile long walls.

They talk about slowing the cars down, develop a nitro muffler system that can handle 11,000 horsepower without causing so much back pressure that the engines blow up and you might be able to lower the decibels some to take the edge off. That could also slow the cars down a bit and might be worth looking into if it means tracks not closing because of neighbors complaining. The problem with that is that there is nothing on planet earth that sounds like a blown nitro motor, nothing. We don't want to lose one of the most important and powerful things in our sport that truly separates it from every other motorsport out there, but we want the sport to survive with neighbors. Challenging times we are in...

Among other AV related things, I design and sell acoustic control solutions, primarily in the commercial space... churches, auditoriums, gymnasiums, conference rooms, etc. I think Brian pretty well nails it here. In short, the answer to Eric's question is no.

Sound walls do a pretty good job. If you're in the pits at Pomona, you can't hear the sportsman cars going down the track. Englishtown also bought many years after constructing the sound walls. They certainly do knock down the decibels but the Nitro cars are so loud you can't ever contain all of that noise.

Alan

Walls are great at deflecting noise which is awesome until you have neighbors on all sides, lol!

As we have seen nearly a dozen times in Southern California, the worst enemy of a race track isn't a regulator, its a conservative capitalist.

As we have seen nearly a dozen times in Southern California, the worst enemy of a race track isn't a regulator, its a conservative capitalist.
Yes, developers, who are not all conservaties, are a problem for race tracks, but also local governments who wants grab the land and develope something to generate more tax revenue.
And lets not forget the climate crazies trying to do away with anything that uses fossil fuel.

Sears Point yellow flag alliance,what grape rancher?
This was usually at the LODRS events. There was an old lady up on the hill, who had a lot of influence with local government and she would call the track after reporting the violation and rant to the track manager about destroying her peace! I don't know her name.

This was several years ago. No LODRS there for the last two years!

No, it's opportunists regardless of their political persuasion, and track owners tired of fighting frivolous complaints. One track near me in SoCal was built in the mid-60s for maybe a few hundred thousand dollars. They sold the property in the 1990s for somewhere around $20M and leased it back and operated for a number of years until the area got built up in the 2000s and neighbors complained. So put yourself in the owner's shoes..... go from being a guy in debt paying off the mortgage on a dragstrip that is marginally profitable to a multi-millionaire overnight. While I'd like to think I'd be the guy who says, "No thanks, I'l keep running the track," that's a hard decision for anyone - especially in the face of pressure from local residents or government mandated "improvements" (like what happened at Fontana or Speedworld in AZ).

Last edited:
a couple of screenshots from an article published in march, 2023 by the brainerd dispatch.......a local paper who thinks people want to pay a fee
to read their drivel.......not me.......i looked this guy up. he's a doctor, which means when he says he lives 2miles as the crow flies, he lives on gull, or one of other
very close lakes to BIR, with all shoreline residences in upper 1%, not just a little wealthy, way wealthy. bitching about the racetrack that was there years before he
even considered living in brainerd, maybe even before he was born, yet he bitches about the sound, and his precious trees that the wind knocked over.
cry me a river you entitled son of a bitch. BIR property taxes can't be cheap either. thank goodness kristy has 28 weekends booked this summer, for a facility that
is frozen almost 1/2 the year ...... and now the crow wing sheriff's dept. has to get in the middle of this because local wealthy residents have enough money to pull
strings.......just like the $100k homes being built across hwy from bandimere.......sorry, i get that businesses have a life span, but when they are successful, yet forced
to change, move or close, because somebody decides for them......it makes me cringe.
Warning: I have an attitude towards entitled Johnny-come-lately narcissists. Opinions follow.

So the doctor is an anesthesiologist.... I'm sure he has something in his bag to help him sleep 😃

These whiny little bit**es should have been handed a disclosure before they bought their property that there is a drag strip nearby... sign off on it and get over it, or buy elsewhere. Entitled POS.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back