Question about the old Minnesota Dragways (1 Viewer)

grew up in twin cities till age of 3, never lucky enough to go to this dragstrip.

driving down i-35 into st. paul recently with folks and right around
vandais heights dad says, 'i remember in late 50's, early 60's right around
here was the edge of the suburbs....that's about 6-7 miles straight north from downtown st. paul
....MN dragway was about 20 miles out from the downtowns;
suppose back then never in their wildest dreams would anyone think urban
sprawl would take over..... damn near same difference @ BIR.
as late as late 80's there was large gap of no development between
brainerd and track.....not anymore.

grew up in twin cities till age of 3, never lucky enough to go to this dragstrip.

driving down i-35 into st. paul recently with folks and right around
vandais heights dad says, 'i remember in late 50's, early 60's right around
here was the edge of the suburbs....that's about 6-7 miles straight north from downtown st. paul
....MN dragway was about 20 miles out from the downtowns;
suppose back then never in their wildest dreams would anyone think urban
sprawl would take over..... damn near same difference @ BIR.
as late as late 80's there was large gap of no development between
brainerd and track.....not anymore.

You're so right about BIR, Mike. 20 years ago, there was almost nothing from where you turn off 210 to go north on 371 to the track. Now, there's nearly every corporate hotel/restaurant/retail chain represented in that 6 mile stretch.

I found this cool photo on Ky Michaelson's Rocketman website. I remember seeing some of his rocket cars (namely, the Pollution Packer) at Minnesota back in the mid 70's.

Minnsota_dragways_from_air.jpg

I recall that the tower was set forward from the stands, but I didn't remember the stands being back so far.

I'm pretty sure that place closed down before I was born, and by looking at that last picture It's hard to imagine that track was ever there.

I'm pretty sure that place closed down before I was born, and by looking at that last picture It's hard to imagine that track was ever there.

Paul, the track closed. I believe, in 1977. It was a great time growing up in the 70's. Close to Minnesota, we also had North Star Dragstrip over in Mounds View. That site is currently occupied by those new Medtronic buildings off 10 & 35W. Previously, that site had The Bridges golf course.

To drive by where Minnesota was located now makes me thing of the Frank Sinatra song "Once There Was A Ballpark".

Last edited:
I remember seeing some of his rocket cars (namely, the Pollution Packer) at Minnesota back in the mid 70's.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Pollution Packer was owned by Tony Fox..... he lived across the street from Ky. :)

Last edited:
Paul, the track closed. I believe, in 1977. It was a great time growing up in the 70's. Close to Minnesota, we also had North Star Dragstrip over in Mounds View. That site is currently occupied by those new Medtronic buildings off 10 & 35W. Previously, that site had The Bridges golf course.

To drive by where Minnesota was located now makes me thing of the Frank Sinatra song "Once There Was A Ballpark".

Hey Krogan's Heros, you saying were Old? Lmao....

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Pollution Packer was owned by Tony Fox..... he lived across the street from Ky. :)

I remember the name Brian, and I think you may be right. Looking at Ky's website, there's no mention of Tony Fox. Not that that means anything. Ky has a pretty neat website and it appears he's still involved with rocketry.

Hey Joe, here's an interesting bit of trivia for you (quoting Ky's website) "The fastest run that I know of was set by Vern Anderson on August 11, 1974 on a track in Albuquerque, New Mexico with a speed of 344.820 MPH in 4.62 seconds." This was regarding the Pollution Packer car. Jeez, talk about hauling the mail.

I remember the name Brian, and I think you may be right. Looking at Ky's website, there's no mention of Tony Fox. Not that that means anything. Ky has a pretty neat website and it appears he's still involved with rocketry.

Yeah, Ky is an interesting guy. I live less than a mile from him. When you drive by his house it's always fun to see the interesting things parked in the driveway.

Mark, What's happening with the new track being built in Minnesota ? Bee alot of talk for 4 years now, but havent seen any new news.

Mark, What's happening with the new track being built in Minnesota ? Bee alot of talk for 4 years now, but havent seen any new news.

If you're talking about this one, as I understand it, there was a group of investors attempting to build a new track south of the Twin Cities near Owatonna. They were going to resurrect the name "Minnesota Dragways". As so often seems the case these days, it met with a ton of opposition, the investors after so many losing battles, decided to scuttle the whole idea. They had a website (www.minnesotadragways.com) that had a bunch of cool pictures from the original track.

You're exactly right, Mark. They had options on at least one, possibly two parcels of land that would have put a 1/4 mile drag strip within less than an hour from the Twin Cities, and in both cases, the NIMBY's showed up in force and they were shot right out of the water. They finally got tired of beating their heads against the wall and gave up.:(

I wonder. Is it POSSIBLE to build a brand new drag strip anymore? :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back