ProStock Cylinder Heads presented by Alan Reinhart (1 Viewer)

I just happened to be looking at the 2020 NHRA Rules amendments. Looks like they are allowing billet heads in Pro Stock now(?) since the prohibited language has been lined through.

1591762271408.png

I don't know if/when that would've happened, but I can't imagine a reason not to allow billet. Once upon a time having castings with factory numbers on them may have meant something, but not anytime recent. If you talk to any of the prominent engine builders in this class, they'll all pretty much tell you these powerplants have long evolved from anything resembling something offered from the factories.

Another great video! Keep 'em coming, AR!

Sean D

Most likely Billet is a lot more money due to the CNC machining processes involved. Probably thing to keep the cost down in the class but, The cost thing went by the waist side a long time ago.

Billet heads retain their shape a lot better, are significantly stronger and can be easily repaired. That in the long run, just like carbon fiber bodies vs fiberglass in terms of strength and longevity, actually makes them less expensive in the long run. My opinion after having run both, YMMV.

Well, I learned something from this one as well. I was not aware that billet heads had been recently allowed. Spoke to Jason Line today and he said they don't use them. Called Jake at Elite and he hasn't got back to me yet. I haven't seen any in use, but someone is probably playing with them.

As for expense, the DRCE 3 raw casting is $1.600.00 and that raw casting and would need about the same amount of CNC work as a billet. I don't believe that you could run them in Pro Stock without water so that would be extra machining and welding.

When we get back to the track I will look into it further.

Alan

Hey Alan, How about one on Pro Stock car and motorcycle transmissions. I have a Drag Only modified trans. in my 4 wheel quad that I race on asphalt and dirt. They call it an "override" transmission where you don't need to use the clutch to shift and the other fact is you can shift while full throttle. I know how it works with the dogs on the gears ramped at a 45 degree angle and modified shift drum, etc. But many don't. That would be another good one for everyone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back