Pro Stock Reaction times????? (1 Viewer)

"Dr. Dirt"

Nitro Member
Us old-timers can remember a day when you had to cut a stellar light in order to stay in the Pro Stock game on Sunday.
Giving an .030 average advantage to your opponent can still net you a win these days? My, how things have changed. Oh, and could somebody please inform Mike Dunn that Connolly and Jeggie aren't always the "best leavers in the business?"
Dave left 1/2 a tenth on the table while Jeggie never won the battle of the tree today?

Doc, you're right! I couldn't believe how GA was running everyone down! It kinda reminded me of Glidden, WJ and RMS when they had a tenth on the field.

Us old-timers can remember a day when you had to cut a stellar light in order to stay in the Pro Stock game on Sunday.
Giving an .030 average advantage to your opponent can still net you a win these days? My, how things have changed. Oh, and could somebody please inform Mike Dunn that Connolly and Jeggie aren't always the "best leavers in the business?"
Dave left 1/2 a tenth on the table while Jeggie never won the battle of the tree today?

Richie with an .011, while Jeggie takes a nap at .046 - :D
Of course, if you're GA, reaction time is not a factor. Chase might just save PS race this year. With #1 falling on his face, GA could have wrapped it up long before Pomona!

At today's race, first round of Pro Stock, we saw three hole-shot wins, two red lights and three faster-car-wins. 2nd round, we say two hole-shot wins and two faster-car-wins. Sure seems like a driver's class to me?

Greg, and sometimes Jason, can win many rounds with a slower RT, thanks to faster cars. However, it appears to me that other than these two, it is a driver's class once again.

That being said, I agree with Jim that this year's Chase format may be the only thing preventing Greg from locking up the title by Indy.

And yet another round about slam at Greg & KB racing. Do you really think it's all about the money? Maybe they are just spending it differently..to their advantage! Do you think if anyone else had a blank check..they could still keep up?

Sure gets old.

Oh, and could somebody please inform Mike Dunn that Connolly and Jeggie aren't always the "best leavers in the business?"

Yeah, you're right, they aren't "always" the best, and things like what happened yesterday are going to happen, but on "average" they are two of the best out there. Just look at the averages over the past couple years and tell me what names you see at the top... Those two have made their careers based on their abilities to drive, so please don't try to discredit them because of one race...

The best leavers are prone to redlight too,see AJ first round yesterday. When you live by the tree,you die by the tree. You cannot go to the line trying for .000 RT and not have it bite you either. Say they have a .00 whatever in rd 1,you don't think the next rd they have it in the back of their mind,WOW,I was so close to redlighting,I need to be very carefull next rd. I was standing next to the line when KJ ran DC yesterday,KJ took all of the 7 seconds of the autostart,I really thought he was going to be timed out but he wasn't and I think that'd hurt DC. Has anybody noticed that WJ has picked it up in the RT department?

I know this about r/t but what abut the flames in the shut down. Nobody else was doing it. Ive be racing for years and have never done that....

I know this about r/t but what abut the flames in the shut down. Nobody else was doing it. Ive be racing for years and have never done that....

I couldn't help wondering about those also--I'm trying not to think bad thoughts here, but does anyone out there have any insight about those persistent )and rather large) flames from the GA car in various places in the shutdown area yesterday? Inquiring minds want to know!

When you shut off a Pro Stocker "Clean" sometimes it leaves some unburned (in the engine) fuel in the headers that will then be burning in the pipes, when you start the engine again to blow the fire out, it flames up. Nothing sinister at all. It has happened to every Pro Stock car out there at one time or another. I don't know if Greg had anything different on the car this weekend, but when I was with Nickens, we had one set of Headers that always seemed to want to lite up. Don't know why, but that set of pipes would be burning about half the time, on two different cars and many different engines. And you have to know that if any of the other guys thought that something was up, they would be screaming about it.

Alan

When you shut off a Pro Stocker "Clean" sometimes it leaves some unburned (in the engine) fuel in the headers that will then be burning in the pipes, when you start the engine again to blow the fire out, it flames up. Nothing sinister at all. It has happened to every Pro Stock car out there at one time or another. I don't know if Greg had anything different on the car this weekend, but when I was with Nickens, we had one set of Headers that always seemed to want to lite up. Don't know why, but that set of pipes would be burning about half the time, on two different cars and many different engines. And you have to know that if any of the other guys thought that something was up, they would be screaming about it.

Alan

Alan,

Quit confusing us with the facts-next thing you'll be doing is telling us Lee Harvey oswald killed Kennedy!

Alan

Thanks, Alan. I appreciate the explanation--thought it might be something like that. And, like you said, if it wasn't readily explainable, there would have been some real noise made. Thanks for chiming in. By the way, did you catch Karen Stoffer giving you partial "credit" for her second win? She's a class act and I'm guessing she's just as classy in person as on tv.

Yeah, you're right, they aren't "always" the best, and things like what happened yesterday are going to happen, but on "average" they are two of the best out there. Just look at the averages over the past couple years and tell me what names you see at the top... Those two have made their careers based on their abilities to drive, so please don't try to discredit them because of one race...

Amen, brother!

Everyone has a bad race now and then, but like Tim said, look at the averages. These two are the best in the business, period.

Sean D

And yet another round about slam at Greg & KB racing. Do you really think it's all about the money? Maybe they are just spending it differently..to their advantage! Do you think if anyone else had a blank check..they could still keep up?

Sure gets old.

David, do you sit at your keyboard, waiting to pounce on anyone who says anything a little left or right of center?

I didn't hear anyone say anything about GA and Line having more money and thats why they were dominating? But in PS, the more you have the better R&D you can do and likewise, increase performance.

Here, jump on this........Team Summit has unlimited resources and can outgun almost anyone due to their ability to have a full staff working constantly back at the engine shop finding HP. I don't think the "low-buck" teams can afford that and last time I check, neithe rcan WJ.

Bobby, I think it interesting you bring this subject up b/c Sun I was watching the race and thinking to myself, these guys are late as day today. I dont know what the deal was, it just seemed that most of the drivers were off Sunday or something. When Greg had that .103 or whatever in the semi's against KJ I thougth for sure he was done but hell he passed KJ before the 330. Not sure what happened but I assume KJ had to have major tire spin for that to happen.

Bobby, I think it interesting you bring this subject up b/c Sun I was watching the race and thinking to myself, these guys are late as day today. I dont know what the deal was, it just seemed that most of the drivers were off Sunday or something. When Greg had that .103 or whatever in the semi's against KJ I thougth for sure he was done but hell he passed KJ before the 330. Not sure what happened but I assume KJ had to have major tire spin for that to happen.
I don't think it was what KJ had going that made the difference, i.e. tire spin. His times were commensurate with all other top performing cars. I believe it what his opponent didn't have going that made the difference in this case.

I don't think it was what KJ had going that made the difference, i.e. tire spin. His times were commensurate with all other top performing cars. I believe it what his opponent didn't have going that made the difference in this case.

On that run between KJ/GA,if KJ had any kind of car,he'd won the round and it would have been him and WJ in the final. KJ's car was spinning the tires big time and they were to stay and test for 2 days to try and find the problem. That run right there tells the story,GA gets drilled and KJ's car goes south,GA is getting the breaks too and that's hard to overcome. I was against the new points system but it's the only chance anybody has to win it after the start GA has had. Hopefully he'll struggle the last half and somebody can capatalize. WJ/KJ moved up to 5th & 7th and that's a good move for one race,they just gotta keep it up.

David, do you sit at your keyboard, waiting to pounce on anyone who says anything a little left or right of center?

I didn't hear anyone say anything about GA and Line having more money and thats why they were dominating? But in PS, the more you have the better R&D you can do and likewise, increase performance.

Here, jump on this........Team Summit has unlimited resources and can outgun almost anyone due to their ability to have a full staff working constantly back at the engine shop finding HP. I don't think the "low-buck" teams can afford that and last time I check, neithe rcan WJ.
No pouncing going on here, Pete.

I'm just not thoroughly convinced it's all about the quantity of bucks..and I'm not a real big KB racing fan..I just happen to believe they may be spending their money in areas others aren't. Their 60ft times are from a different orbit..and now their mph's are matching. So what are they doing that the others aren't?

Didn't mean to come across as such a defender of the 'machine'. I'm a fairly neutral guy..;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back