POMONA - Today is Cancelled! (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
Today’s activities for all of the Sportsman and Professional classes have been cancelled, due to continuing rain.

While tomorrow’s weather is still doubtful, the current plan is to continue Sportsman eliminations and Professional qualifying starting at 8:15AM tomorrow morning.

While tomorrow’s weather is still doubtful, the current plan is to continue Sportsman eliminations and Professional qualifying starting at 8:15AM tomorrow morning.

That should be interesting racing on a 40 degree track...:eek:

If you're gonna hold an outdoor event in southern California in February, you'd best have a rainout contingency plan. Pomona has had years where over 80% of their annual rainfall occurred in February, far and away SoCal's wettest month.

That should be interesting racing on a 40 degree track...:eek:

If you're gonna hold an outdoor event in southern California in February, you'd best have a rainout contingency plan. Pomona has had years where over 80% of their annual rainfall occurred in February, far and away SoCal's wettest month.

Really. After the fiascoes of the last couple years, I looked it up. If they moved it into mid-March, they'd cut the rain likelihood in half, as I recall.

I have attended this race every year since '93! And when NHRA left the race in the first weekend in Feb like they did prior to around 2005, they rarely lost more than one day at any race! Once NHRA started moving it later it has been a disaster, 3 of the last 5 Winternatl's have lost at least one whole day due to Rain! NHRA is gonna lose a TON of $$$ once again...:mad:

From Wunderground (for Pomona):

rainfall.jpg

Couldn't pick a worse time to have this race if they tried.

From Wunderground (for Pomona):

rainfall.jpg

Couldn't pick a worse time to have this race if they tried.

Well, according to this graph, the best bet for the Winternationals would be July 4th or so....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As much as I've pleaded in recent years to move the Winters to Vegas, you just can't 'predict' the weather in So Cal from Nov - March. It's gonna be a crap shoot anyway you plan it.

But notice the slope of that curve. The race at this time is at the absolute worst time of the year, and every week later dramatically reduces the odds. Seems to me that's worth considering.

Well, according to this graph, the best bet for the Winternationals would be July 4th or so....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As much as I've pleaded in recent years to move the Winters to Vegas, you just can't 'predict' the weather in So Cal from Nov - March. It's gonna be a crap shoot anyway you plan it.

Tim,
That's not true, I predict I'll be wearing shorts again tomorrow for whatever weather we get:D

The weather is crap right now in Vegas too ... and will likely be crap until Sunday ... just like Pomona.

And while that graph looks quite dramatic, notice that on the left-hand side of the graph that it PEAKS at a tenth of an inch. It's not like we are talking about a monsoon season here folks ...

Years of note - Pomona, CA rainfall - Month of February
(Total average annual rainfall is 15.74 inches)
Source - National Weather Service

1926-9.03"
1940-12.42"
1943-8.45"
1961-11.57
1968- Jan+Feb 22.97" :eek:
1979-12.75"
1998-13.68"
2004-11.02" (Jan+Feb 20.32")

I live in north central Texas. We've had less than one inch of precipitation in the last 6 months. We do have a nice track not too far from here...:D (Texas Motorplex)

Last edited:
And while that graph looks quite dramatic, notice that on the left-hand side of the graph that it PEAKS at a tenth of an inch. It's not like we are talking about a monsoon season here folks ...

I noticed that too, Chris, and I'm not quite sure we're understanding it correctly. Or perhaps they meant to say "furlong" instead of "in".

You can see by my post above it's a LOT more than 1/10 of an inch.

Well I think it would have been a good idea to do the race next weekend there seems to be lot better temps between 65 and 70, clear skies, chamber of commerce weather

They would be better off running it in January here in LA when sometimesthe weather is so nice, I have drive around with AC on. I can remember when I was a kid the last time it snowed at the Winternational in '78.

But just think of al the nice pictures they'll have with snow on the mountains.

Gino,

If memory serves me right for long time the Finals were in October and the Winternational race was in the latter part of January

They would be better off running it in January here in LA when sometimesthe weather is so nice, I have drive around with AC on. I can remember when I was a kid the last time it snowed at the Winternational in '78.

But just think of al the nice pictures they'll have with snow on the mountains.

January - Financial suicide!

NFL playoffs!

So, your point is What? There ain't an NFL Team in SoCal... Spent every weekend in January growing up at Some SoCal track, watching Nitro...

If 22 guys shoving each other around for an hour is your idea of a fun time... more power to ya... same reason I don't watch 18 guys swinging wooden sticks, or 10 guys trying to put a ball through a hoop mounted on a pole...

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back