Pictures from my 2022 Gatornationals weekend. (1 Viewer)

Nice helping of photos Sam!

I always thought you were an old guy (i.e my age) - I thought you used to post about Connecticut Dragway.....I guess I'm losing it.

Nice helping of photos Sam!

I always thought you were an old guy (i.e my age) - I thought you used to post about Connecticut Dragway.....I guess I'm losing it.
You must be thinking of when I posted photos of when my dad used to race at Englishtown.

Back in the 70's and early 80's. Raced a 1970 Chevelle in "Heavy eliminator."
ah - a bit before my time - my dad went every year once they started hosting the summernationals - i started going around 82 or 83, but was way too young to know all that was going on - the first one i remember for sure was 1986 - went pretty much every year until 2010.

Mike: hands down best pic is the nova wagon......i wanna' say 66'? could be 67'? ........thumbs up sam :cool:

Yes Mike, that's a '66 Nova wagon for sure. I know cause I had one. Actually, I bought a '67 and changed the front fenders, grille and bezels into a '66. I wanted a '66 but both year wagons were virtually impossible to find. So when I spotted an older gentleman driving a beater on the streets I asked him if he'd sell it to me. Within a month he did and a very slow restoration process began in 1976. Mine began as a tan '67 w/ a straight 6 and Powerglide. My brother's mechanic pal swapped in a mild 327 + Turbo 400 trans. I jacked up the rear by adding a second leaf to the OEM singles. The interior was redone, the body repainted to Honda Accord metallic blue (very similar to Chevrolet's Marina blue which I didn't realize was obtainable!). I also ordered every SS badge to make an "SS Nova wagon" that Chevy never offered. The wagon also featured some of the earliest Centerline wheels seen on the streets of SoCal. Many people, even non-car folks, used to ask me about the revolutionary wheels (no one was used to seeing mags w/o holes!).

My inspiration for the wagon had many roots. I'd been driving a Vega GT wagon but like so many, the aluminum motor was burning oil. My mechanic wanted to make a V8 swap. I would've done so but I needed more space to haul around a pair of JBL PA cabinets for my band (I was a drummer in a R&B/Disco group). Those cabinets were the size of 2 washing machines! I chose the Nova wagon based upon the several SS/K and SS/J drag cars I'd seen in CC and SS&DI. I thought that body style w/ Centerlines (or Super Tricks) was a cool look. My other inspiration was one of my biggest FC heroes, Jungle Jim Liberman. I wanted JJ's first FC look—his '66 AWB Nova in Marina blue—on my wagon. I will end w/ the craziest detail of all. A few years after my car was completed I learned that the upholsterer who did my Nova was the notorious Hillside Strangler murderer, Angelo Buono! (and thanks Sam, for the cool photos!)

Attachments

• J.Ibusuki's Nova Wgn.jpeg
    J.Ibusuki's Nova Wgn.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
James, what a story about your '66. thank you for sharing. do you still have the car?

James, what a story about your '66. thank you for sharing. do you still have the car?
Hi Mike,
No, sadly the Nova wagon is no more. I stupidly wrecked it in a mild street skirmish in '86. As I ended my street encounter I got off the gas but didn't realize one
rear tire hit some drain water. I spun out and smacked a huge palm tree. Since the cowl was ruined the body couldn't be saved (like a fender replacement). I parted it
out and junked the hulk. But even that unfortunate accident has an amusing story. At the time I was right in the middle of painting the movie poster for Warner Brothers' "Little Shop of Horrors." The very large painting, 40" x 60", was in the back of the Nova wagon (since I was returning home from the ad agency). The painting was about 80% complete when I crashed. Miraculously the painting survived---I can't imagine what would've happened if it was damaged beyond repair! :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back