Phil Burkart... (1 Viewer)

yankee

Nitro Member
I'm still in shock at hearing about Phil being released from Worsham Racing. Here are some facts that are in the current issue of National Dragster...

Phil
Toyo Nationals Won
Winternationals Ru
CSK Nationals Ru
#1 for reaction time .067
#3 for M.P.H. 317.84
2-2 against Force
4-2 against Hight
1-1 against Capps
2-2 against Medlin
1-0 against T. Pedregon
2-0 against T. Johnson
0-3 against Scelzi
3-1 against Bazemore
1-1 against C. Pedregon

Del
Super Nationals 2005 Won
U.S. Nationals 2005 Won
Southern Nationals Semis
Lucas Oil Nationals Semis
#6 for M.P.H. 317.43
#6 for E.T. 4.847

Jeff
Hasn't won since 1995

Why would anyone relea$e $omeone with Phil$ record for $omeone who ha$ no winning$ to $peak of ????? I ju$t don't under$tand....

Del went through a costly year and Jeff brings $$$$$. Jeff is a good driver and will do fine next year. It's a bad deal for Phil but Del had to do what's best for him.

Umm...Jeff's not bringing a whole lot of money to the table.....

Well, its obvious that he's bringing more than Phil. I hate seeing Phil go too, but you can throw all the number up you want, the only one that points at the driver only is reaction time, holeshot wins and recovery wins (ie., tiresmokers).

Jeff brings a lot of experience with him and will make the transition smooth for the team. He may not have won since 1995, but has he been in a completely competitive car since then? The CMKX car ran well, but never got the breaks....even his win in 1995, he got the breaks on his side of the ladder and then in the finals he slapped a light on T-Ped and held it in his lane on a green track...Whereas T-Ped couldn't.

Go Get 'Em Jeff!!!

Last edited:
I'm still in shock at hearing about Phil being released from Worsham Racing. Here are some facts that are in the current issue of National Dragster...

Phil
Toyo Nationals Won
Winternationals Ru
CSK Nationals Ru
#1 for reaction time .067
#3 for M.P.H. 317.84
2-2 against Force
4-2 against Hight
1-1 against Capps
2-2 against Medlin
1-0 against T. Pedregon
2-0 against T. Johnson
0-3 against Scelzi
3-1 against Bazemore
1-1 against C. Pedregon

Del
Super Nationals 2005 Won
U.S. Nationals 2005 Won
Southern Nationals Semis
Lucas Oil Nationals Semis
#6 for M.P.H. 317.43
#6 for E.T. 4.847

Jeff
Hasn't won since 1995

Why would anyone relea$e $omeone with Phil$ record for $omeone who ha$ no winning$ to $peak of ????? I ju$t don't under$tand....

Get over it!!!!

frank has a good point. when looking at problems with the team's performance, all del needed was a mirror. phil provided the only few bright spots of the year for that team (unless you count crashes as bright spots.)

frank has a good point. when looking at problems with the team's performance, all del needed was a mirror. phil provided the only few bright spots of the year for that team (unless you count crashes as bright spots.)

I don't remember any of this being due to performance. Also everyone seems to keep bringing up that Del had a bad year....and? He owns the team, so are you suggesting he let go of himself and keep Phil?:p Now that is funny....

Nothing against Phil...good driver for sure. But why bad mouth Jeff? Last I knew, he had the quickest average reaction time...has been in a few cars that probably weren't capable of winning...and he is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I think he will show everyone next year that he is more than capable and deserving of the ride. Too bad it has to be this way, I like both guys. But give credit where credit is due. It's just the way big time motor racing is these days. Don't be surprised to see Phil in a top notch ride soon. Congrats Jeff, I'll bring the Pop Tarts if you supply the beer.;)

I just want to make it clear that in no way was I throwing Jeff under the bus. I'm sure Del thought long and hard about releasing Phil. It's just that why would you let a proven driver go and replace him with someone who brings in a bit of money. It's almost as if Jeff "bought" his ride, which I'm sure is not what happened. But one can't help but wonder ......

Both Jeff and Phil are 2 of the nicest guys in drag racing you will ever meet! It is a shame that both are caught up in such drama at the moment. I hope th e fans out there will still back these 2 great drivers and direct there anger towards the source of the madness...Del himself!!! What a crappy way of letting someone go by telling him AFTER the season is over with hardly any chance of finding a ride for 07 this late in the year!!! What a sorry a$$ way of doing business!
Good luck in 07 Jeff and Phil!!!(hopefully)

First off - this is all about money. Period. It's been that way in our great sport for quite a while now. Less proven or talented drivers are hired all the time because they can bring money to the team. Don't believe me? Ask Mike Dunn - I bet he'll tell ya. Is someone going to try to tell me Andrew Cowin was/is more talented than Mike Dunn? Good luck getting me to agree. Darrell Gwynn needed money to race and Andrew provided it where Mike couldn't, plain and simple. And I've got nothing against Andrew - he had money, he got the ride - he played by the unwritten rules our sport has established in the margins of the rulebook. I hope he lands another deal soon, it's great having him out there.

And for the record - I'm not suggesting Jeff Arend is not talented either. In fact, he's another in the line of potentially great drivers who have never caught the right break at the right time - I hope this is that break for him. How long did Dave Grubnic bounce around before he was hired by the Kalitta's? Plenty of guys/gals are loaded with the natural ability to pilot a fuel car but they lack financing to get a foot in the door. Where was MelanieTroxel two years ago? Plenty of talent - no money. Thanks to DSR & Evan Knoll, she's out there where she belongs now. Cory Mac is loaded with talent, but he's sat out a few times for lack of funding. The list goes on and on.

Phil is a great Funny Car pilot, but he can't bring money to the table so he's stuck searching for a ride during the off-season. And I would contend that being let go at the end of the season certainly sucks, but it sure beats being let go after the first race of the season - then there really are NO rides available.:eek:

And with the rising costs associated with running a fuel team these days, I don't see the rules of engagement changing anytime soon. Hopefully Dan Olson will be able to bring the cost back under control...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back