Perkins scores semifinal finish in Fallon (1 Viewer)

Perkins scores semifinal finish in Fallon

FALLON, Nev. - Twenty year old NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster rookie Cody "the Flash" Perkins scored a semifinal finish during this past weekend's NHRA Division 7 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon, Nev. Perkins, who is still riding the high from winning his first ever event just three weeks ago in Acton, Mont., cut the tree a little too close, redlighting by .002 of a second in the semifinals.

Perkins, a full time college student from Bluffdale, Utah, qualified his family owned 'Blown Chances' Blown Alcohol Dragster sixth in the field with a 5.986 second pass at 242.88 mph at the high altitude track. In round one, he played the role of spoiler once again, putting a dent in Sean O'Bannon's title hopes by defeating him in round one with a 5.910 at 241.53 mph. Perkins was once again sharp on the tree with a .009 reaction time. In his semifinal bout with defending Division 7 Champ Chris Demke, Perkins pulled the trigger .002 of a second too soon, resulting in an instant disqualification.

"With the tricky track surface, we struggled with getting the car just right," said Perkins. "I knew I was going to have to be sharp on the tree Sunday. Unfortunately, I cut it a little too hard against Demke in the second round."

"Our goal this year is to try to make the top five in Division 7," Perkins added. "We didn't get a chance to get the pulleys to take advantage of NHRA's new blower overdrive rule, but we'll have them on when we head to Medford in a few weeks. We don't have the budget some of our competitors do, but we're just trying to make the most of it. I really have to thank my Mom [Trudy] and Dad [Bob] for giving me the opportunity to drive the car this year. We're working hard to find some sponsors so we can run a full schedule next year."

The next race for the "Blown Chances" team will be at the Division 6 closer in Medford, Ore., Sept. 21-24.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back