Payout Change (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I read that the payouts for the top 10 from 3-10 is increasing by $51,000 along with 2,000 a race for the top 10 program. What is it now? I know 1st and 2nd are 500,000 and 100,000.

Also, for win, ru, semi, 2nd, first...does the event purse change?

didn't i read somewhere recently that the two nhra nitro classes will pay 19th and 20th Q this year?

when you go a whole year with 14-16 cars adding a payout for 19 & 20 does not mean much.

I believe the goal of adding payouts for 19 & 20 were to entice more cars to show up, rather than those cars not even bothering to show up knowing that the odds were against them to get in the money. If it works, fantastic! At least give the NHRA props for trying instead of immediately bashing the idea!

The only way I see a payout actually helping the #19 and #20 qualifiers is if those teams take the fuel motor out of the car and drop a stock 454 in it. That way the biggest expense becomes the fuel to get to the track. Make one 10.50 pass, qualify 19th in a 19-car field, collect a check, load up and head for the house. Why not? Last-place NASCAR qualifiers used to do it more often than you'd think...qualify 43rd (or 40th now), run one lap, drop out because of a 'vibration' before there's time for a mechanical failure or a wreck, collect last-place money and wind up making a decent living with a non-competitive car.
Yes, I'm being facetious, but not about the NASCAR scenario.

There have been some rumors I even read here about some teams just taking the 10k and not even showing up or "break" for rd. 1. Can anyone provide that payout info? Thanks.

Last edited:
Not bashing but in reality if 14 or 15 cars are registered you can show up be qualified 16 AND get to run 1st round.
Teams were not even doing this, what makes you think they will show up to qualify 19th get a check and go home.
For what it costs to get to the track, make a pass, maybe have to make several, and then get home it is not worth it.
IMO it has gotten so expensive to compete most have flat out given up.
Heck for the "small" guy even if he qualified and got lucky and won the event he is going home losing a fair chunk of money.

I was joking about buying an old PS car, following them around and "qualifying" every event because the fields were always short.

While it’ll never be enough, more money is always a good thing, especially for non-qualifiers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back