No Touchy Touchy (2 Viewers)

Was thinking, if I were a "fly on the wall". might have seen all this. Then again, could have been squished. heh

If you had told me beforehand that one of the McPhillips drivers would get in a fight, there is one other name that would come to mind before Matt...

The drivers named were not the ones involved. It was team personnel, but NHRA can only name/fine/punish the drivers.

I heard there were several altercations and punches were thrown. It was talked about on several podcast but they didn’t mentions names. I thought it was a result from first round but they didn’t run each other.

Last edited:
I heard there were several altercations and punches were thrown. It was talked about on several podcast but they didn’t mentions names. I thought it was a result from first round but they didn’t run each other.
The only time they were paired up was in the final Q session. Matt had a small fuel leak on the burnout, they got it fixed.
Maybe hung out Taylor an extra 50 seconds to a minute at the most. Matt ran 5.29 Taylor, tire shake at the hit.
Did see Rich Sr. talking to one of the guys from the Taylor team, they walked out of view. And then a couple of the starting
line officials started running towards the staging lanes. Found this on NHRA.TV and watched it. After that who knows?

If you have NHRA.TV go to Saturday Norwalk and start at 5:38

Last edited:
The only time they were paired up was in the final Q session. Matt had a small fuel leak on the burnout, they got it fixed.
Maybe hung out Taylor an extra 50 seconds to a minute at the most. Matt ran 5.29 Taylor, tire shake at the hit.
Did see Rich Sr. talking to one of the guys from the Taylor team, they walked out of few. And then a couple of the starting
line officials started running towards the staging lanes. Found this on NHRA.TV and watched it. After that who knows?

Thanks. I didn’t know the parties involved originally and went back and watched round 1. The Fricke team seemed to be waiting a long time for Cummings team but there didn’t seem to be an issue with it. The McPhillips team had another incident this year in qualifying at Pomona. Salinas was driving and they were paired up with Johnny Ahten. Ahten either had some issues or was slow to stage and teams exchanged words and a middle finger. Lol.

When u think about it, of all the head to head sports competition around, Drag racing is one that, in theory, should never have any beefs or fights. consider your opponent has his own lane his own timing system, his own side of the tree and has absolutely no effect on your performance. when you lose any given race, the reason is always the other guy simply did a better job. There's no 'defense' in Drag racing. If they simply put a timer on the prestage process, in other words when the first car stages the second one has x amount of time to prestage also, or else is disqualified. this way the computer takes over and no one can 'hang' anyone out or delay the start of the race

Did see Rich Sr. talking to one of the guys from the Taylor team, they walked out of few. And then a couple of the starting

50-60 seconds is a long time!

When u think about it, of all the head to head sports competition around, Drag racing is one that, in theory, should never have any beefs or fights. consider your opponent has his own lane his own timing system, his own side of the tree and has absolutely no effect on your performance. when you lose any given race, the reason is always the other guy simply did a better job. There's no 'defense' in Drag racing. If they simply put a timer on the prestage process, in other words when the first car stages the second one has x amount of time to prestage also, or else is disqualified. this way the computer takes over and no one can 'hang' anyone out or delay the start of the race

"In theory" is a great theory. Part of drag racing is living rent free in your opponents head. In many cases the dynamics of the race starts well before the cars are started. ;)

Did see Rich Sr. talking to one of the guys from the Taylor team, they walked out of view. And then a couple of the starting

I don't see fault or a reason for fisticuffs involving either of those teams, at least as far as that Q pass. Sounds like Taylor graciously waited for Matt's team to fix their fuel leak....that team wasn't purposely hanging Taylor out....the starter was OK with the 50-60 seconds to repair the leak....Taylor could have been a d**k, staged, and not allowed Matt the extra time (which might have caused a dustup) but he didn't...it was a Q session, not eliminations....my completely uneducated guess says it was something else that got tempers flaring. Maybe somebody on one of the teams was gawking at one of the other team members' old lady. LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back