Nitro Parity (1 Viewer)

Just limit the size of the fuel tank to ???? 8 or 10 or 12 (pick a number) gallons with the warning of further reductions each year as performance catches up and increases.

Leave the fuel tank alone and simply reduce the I.D. of the supply line from the tank to the pump. All teams could afford this.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the secret sauce is the clutch. You can make a lot of power, but if you can't apply it smoothly, all is for naught.

Isn't this what Lee Beard's new position is all about, anyway?

There really is parity, the biggest reason is that the rules don't allow much innovation anymore. Lots of people complain about that, but if it was still wide open, how fast and expensive would it be? 330MPH in the 1/8, $5MIL per car/yr? The sport has matured. It's been around over SIXTY YEARS. We cannot compare fuel racing now to 2-3-4 decades ago. Oh and you know what's funny about the parity thing? Did everyone hate drag racing when the Snake won all but one national event in a season? Or when Glidden had a similar streak of dominance? Those were the "Golden Years", but it wasn't easy for the average guy to win back then either.
Bottom line, we're in a totally different world now, and for Pro Drag Racing, or a "big show" to survive, and thrive, the powers that be have to have the balls to know when things need to be overhauled. Would completely changing the rules to create a more affordable, slightly slower, and more entertaining fuel car that can run 1320 feet really be that hard? I mean, for the existing teams, the big money is in the infrastructure, the cars and engines are dispensable. As for Pro Stock, IMO that needs a rewrite. This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the factory musclecar wars. I mean, that should be a priority, the time is now! Who are you going to piss off by rebooting the current PS rules? It's more of a rich guy's hobby class than even the fuel cars. Nobody's going to quit, but I'll bet you would attract a lot of new blood. Simply put, here's what needs to happen, IMO:
1. Operating budgets have to come WAY down. Looking for 7 figure sponsors is like looking for unicorns.
2. The same rules that bring down costs would slow down the cars, get them back to 1320 ft., and lengthen the fuse.
3. For PS, create a class that takes advantage of the current crop of factory muscle.

These changes would greatly improve the show, create a whole new buzz about the sport, and, bring in badly needed new blood. We need new pro teams.

There really is parity, the biggest reason is that the rules don't allow much innovation anymore. Lots of people complain about that, but if it was still wide open, how fast and expensive would it be? 330MPH in the 1/8, $5MIL per car/yr? The sport has matured. It's been around over SIXTY YEARS. We cannot compare fuel racing now to 2-3-4 decades ago. Oh and you know what's funny about the parity thing? Did everyone hate drag racing when the Snake won all but one national event in a season? Or when Glidden had a similar streak of dominance? Those were the "Golden Years", but it wasn't easy for the average guy to win back then either.
Bottom line, we're in a totally different world now, and for Pro Drag Racing, or a "big show" to survive, and thrive, the powers that be have to have the balls to know when things need to be overhauled. Would completely changing the rules to create a more affordable, slightly slower, and more entertaining fuel car that can run 1320 feet really be that hard? I mean, for the existing teams, the big money is in the infrastructure, the cars and engines are dispensable. As for Pro Stock, IMO that needs a rewrite. This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the factory musclecar wars. I mean, that should be a priority, the time is now! Who are you going to piss off by rebooting the current PS rules? It's more of a rich guy's hobby class than even the fuel cars. Nobody's going to quit, but I'll bet you would attract a lot of new blood. Simply put, here's what needs to happen, IMO:
1. Operating budgets have to come WAY down. Looking for 7 figure sponsors is like looking for unicorns.
2. The same rules that bring down costs would slow down the cars, get them back to 1320 ft., and lengthen the fuse.
3. For PS, create a class that takes advantage of the current crop of factory muscle.

These changes would greatly improve the show, create a whole new buzz about the sport, and, bring in badly needed new blood. We need new pro teams.

You know it man.................and yes we were gunning for Snake for three straight years, our best was 7 runner ups to him atW WCS races.

For those who don't know what WWCS means, it stood for " Winston World Championship Series", the divisional events in between the national events......................The races we won in 72' to win the Championship, and winning the world finals in Amarilo.

Drag racing is great just like it is...............need I say more?

Last edited:
Nitro Top Fuel and Funny Car have never been about "parity". It has always been about biggest,badest fastest. Get to the finish line first or go home. If you want parity go with the soccer Moms and get in line because everyone gets a ribbon.

WHAT HE SAID!!! Wanting parity in drag racing is like wanting parity in a gunfight.... Those with the balls enough to stand up there and do it want none of that malarkey, and those on the sidelines need to keep their traps shut about it and watch the show.

Two trains of thought here: There are those that watch drag racing, are fans and need the entertainment machine of sponsored cars and events, great television coverage and a hero/goat scenario to envision the continuation of the sport.

Then there are those that build machines. Those that have been to the local bracket race in their area and recognize some of the local hitters. Those that are perfectly fine with maybe catching one national event a year. Those that know that not all nitro teams race on Sunday 25 times a year. Those that know if NHRA were to stop today, drag racing would continue on without as much as a bump in their lives.

Actually, having competition pay the entry fee and show up will make a racing series viable. Again, the idea that the sport will die because a few millionaires decide that they no longer wish to participate is ludicrous- the sport as we know it, with its super-haulers and t-shirt cannons, will dissipate as rapidly as they appeared, and the sport will continue on with the purity, and grittiness, that it began with. The need to believe that drag racing should be on the same flag staff as football, or even college sports, is the reason it will meet its grand demise. Only then will its seven-plus decade foundation shine through and show what kind of staying power the sport actually has.

Actually, having competition pay the entry fee and show up will make a racing series viable. Again, the idea that the sport will die because a few millionaires decide that they no longer wish to participate is ludicrous- the sport as we know it, with its super-haulers and t-shirt cannons, will dissipate as rapidly as they appeared, and the sport will continue on with the purity, and grittiness, that it began with. The need to believe that drag racing should be on the same flag staff as football, or even college sports, is the reason it will meet its grand demise. Only then will its seven-plus decade foundation shine through and show what kind of staying power the sport actually has.

Martin,I was just about to say that very thing.

I would also add that ticket sales do not generate race series' people who have the competitive drive to spend countless hours building tuning and driving race cars pushing the limits of themselves and they're equipment to beat the guy in the other lane do that.

And Darr, there are tickets in street racing, and they cost a whole hell of a lot more than attending an nhra race, they also can confiscate you're car and crush it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back