NHRA Rejects Camrie Caruso’s Intake Manifold (1 Viewer)

I'd put most of the blame on the manufacturers. I was around at the beginning of the class, and as you mentioned it was heaven for a street rat to once and for all see which engines had the most potential - and the factories were serious about proving they had the best engineers and products.

But the world changed. I'm not sure if it was always that way but when I was heavily involved in the class all the factory budgets were funded by the ad/promotion groups of a given make and model. They had been budgeted money to promote a car model and occasionally would see drag racing as a good investment for part of that money. It's exactly why an Olds Cutlass became the focus of GM's efforts and how Pro Stock Trucks came to be (in this case with a LOT of lobbying/pressure from chassis builders). But soon after, the bottom line mentality changed everything.

They always wanted to present their cars in the best possible light. But that had morphed into pushing rule changes if you were getting your doors blown off instead of funding more R&D from your engineers. Add in new cores being built with foundry costs and there was no comparison in what it might cost to be able to catch up to the competition. It's been many years since I participated but even back then the factory reps were openly stating that if they couldn't win with their current parts they weren't going to play.

So that door was opened and as my hero Asher wrote, the Harley deal was the next step. The Factory Stock fiasco followed. And now we have gas powered funny cars with doors that open and a rear suspension.

Of course, this is simply my opinion of how we got to where we are, but it's been formed by many off the record conversations with the people in a position of power.

A good friend and mentor who owned the shifter kart road racing world told me once that spec classes were the most expensive to compete in. He was right. As Pro Camaro grows their rulebook, one has to believe the expense of chasing, finding and hiding all those dozens of tiny innovations that fit the parts and rules really wacks the wallet. The karting world is highly spec'd, yet the stories abound of the well financed teams buying and testing 100's of pieces to find the one that was made by a person who gave a crap that particular day. One would suspect the denizens of Pro Camaro are even more determined.

And NHRA, how about tossing Alan Prusinski 500 rpm. Hasn't he demonstrated he is sincere?

And NHRA, how about tossing Alan Prusinski 500 rpm. Hasn't he demonstrated he is sincere?
Look at historical data from Allen & Roy during the first year of Fuel Injection and tell me why the Mopars need another 500 rpm?

I'm a Mopar guy through and through, but the 500 rpm isn't the problem.

Give me the early days of the class.
When Pro Stock began, it was a true representation of the original intentions for the class; to showcase each manufacturer's factory hot rod(s) on an equal footing. Bill Jenkins won the first race in the class, then the Mopars took over for a couple of years. While only NHRA knows what went on behind the scenes in meetings with the other manufacturers, they saw fit to effectively legislate the Hemis out of the class. Instead of telling GM and Ford they needed to work to improve their own products, NHRA penalized the Mopars. Chrysler pulled their factory support of racers after that.
In a complete break from the original plans for the class, NHRA now allows any engine in any car. What we ended up with is GM engines in every car, which just happens to be all Camaros. Sure, there might be a Mustang or two, but they are still GM powered.
That's why the stands empty out when it's time for the Pro Camaros to begin eliminations.
As far as Factory Stock, it is quickly becoming all Camaros. In 2018, I said the worst thing that could have happened at the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals was the all Mopar final in the Factory Stock class. The Mopars were penalized before the week was out and they were no longer as competitive.
Long story short, as nice as it would be to see more Mopars and Fords in Pro Stock, you're not going to get those manufacturers to invest heavily in R&D.
Why should they?
As history has shown, NHRA will always penalize the Fords and Mopars in order to get the GM cars back into the winner's circle.
Yeah, that lasted up until about 1972 when the Vegas and Pintos came in, and screwed with the concept of the class.

Here's a bit of research of where Pro Stock went wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back