NHRA Norwalk Qualifying Report (1 Viewer)

DSR logo.jpg
NHRA Norwalk Nationals
Event No. 7 of 21
Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park
Norwalk, Ohio
June 25-27, 2021

DSR Friday Qualifying Highlights:
Ron Capps powers the NAPA Dodge to the provisional Funny Car No. 1 spot
Capps was awarded three bonus points for running low E.T. of Q1; Matt Hagan banked one bonus point for clocking the third-quickest run of the Funny Car session
All four DSR nitro entries earned provisional qualifying positions in the top half of the field in their respective categories

Ron Capps Captures Provisional Pole at NHRA Norwalk Nationals
Aboard the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat, 2016 NHRA Norwalk Nationals champion Ron Capps clocked a blistering 3.888-second E.T. to earn the provisional No. 1 spot after day one of qualifying at the 2021 Norwalk, Ohio event.
While the NAPA team’s top-seeded run was welcome, it certainly was not unexpected. Capps, who earned his 26th No. 1 qualifier at the season-opener in Gainesville, Fla., has an excellent qualifying record through the first six races of the year, with his ‘worst’ effort yielding a No. 5 starting position. Capps, who qualified second at the most recent event in Epping, N.H., will make two more runs tomorrow as he battles to fend off his competitors who are vying for his position at the top of the ladder.
“You always want to take full advantage of the conditions during these Friday night sessions, but it was a little strange today with the weather,” explained Capps referring to the day’s on-and-off rain showers. “We know that the weather tomorrow might be similar, so by no means is that run ‘safe’ in the No. 1 spot. This track will hold whatever you throw at it; it’s a great race track.
“I’m so happy for ‘Guido’ (Dean Antonelli), John (Medlen), and the whole NAPA AutoCare team; they gave me a great race car,” he added of his Q1 pass, which ended with Capps stopping just short of the sand trap after his parachutes failed to deploy. “Thank goodness I have NAPA Brakes on my car because I was headed straight for the sand. I gave the lever a couple of pushes, and luckily, it stopped a few feet shy of the beach.”
If he is able to maintain his No. 1 position, it will be his 27th pole and second of the season. Capps, a two-time winner in 2020, is seeking his first victory of the year and second Norwalk ‘ice cream scoop’ trophy.
“We’ve been qualifying well; we just haven’t had the breaks that result with ending our weekend in the winner’s circle,” said No. 6 ranked Capps. “Funny Car is as tough as it’s ever been, and I know I say that every year, but it truly is.”
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 1
The Results:
Q1: 3.888 E.T. at 329.34 MPH
Bonus Points: Three
Capps 2.jpg

ANTRON BROWN: Driver of the Matco Tools Toyota Top Fuel Dragster
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 5
The Results:
Q1: 3.790 E.T. at 317.87 MPH
Brown 2.jpg

LEAH PRUETT: Driver of the Mopar Dodge//SRT Top Fuel Dragster
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 7
The Results:
Q1: 3.835 E.T. at 311.34 MPH
Pruett 3.jpg

MATT HAGAN: Driver of the Mopar Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 3
The Results:
Q1: 3.899 E.T. at 327.82 MPH
Bonus Points: One
Hagan 2.jpg

MARK PAWUK: Driver of the Empaco Equipment Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 21
The Results:
Q1: 8.209 E.T. at 170.69 MPH
Pawuk 2.jpg

LEAH PRUETT: Driver of the Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak
Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 15
The Results:
Q1: 8.017 E.T. at 172.87 MPH
Pruett 4.jpg

About Don Schumacher Racing:
Established in 1998 as a single-car Top Fuel team, Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) has grown to become the winningest organization in NHRA Drag Racing history, and further cemented its position as one of motorsports’ elite teams when it surpassed the ‘350 wins’ milestone during the 2020 season. DSR owns 18 world championships in three different NHRA categories, and including hall-of-fame team owner Don Schumacher’s five NHRA Funny Car triumphs from the 1970s, DSR has been successful in capturing 359 national event victories overall.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields four professional teams competing in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series. Three-time world champion Antron Brown, and double-duty driver Leah Pruett headline DSR’s Top Fuel dragster team. DSR’s two Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Funny Cars are driven by 2016 Funny Car world champion Ron Capps, and Matt Hagan, who earned his third NHRA series title in 2020.
DSR also campaigns two entries in the Factory Stock Showdown Series. The duo of DSR Dodge Drag Paks is piloted by Pruett, the 2018 series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
For more information, visit shoeracing.com, or Follow Us @shoeracing on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back