NHRA CREATES OIL-FREE AWARD PROGRAM AS INCENTIVE FOR NITRO TEAMS TO ELIMINATE OILDOWNS (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NHRA Media Center Online: http://media.nhra.com

NHRA CREATES OIL-FREE AWARD PROGRAM AS INCENTIVE FOR NITRO TEAMS TO ELIMINATE OILDOWNS

POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 6, 2015) – NHRA today announced an incentive program that will reward individual Top Fuel and Funny Car teams who make it through the 2015 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season without an oildown.

A bonus fund of $50,000 will be divided among the top 10 nitro race teams with the greatest number of oil-free runs at season’s end.

In 2014, 27 nitro teams out of a total of 74 raced all season without an oil violation. John Force had the most oil-free runs in Funny Car with 160 and Shawn Langdon made the most Top Fuel oil-free runs with 154.

Last week NHRA announced increased fines and points penalties for Top Fuel and Funny Car teams who deposit oil on the racetrack surface during NHRA Mello Yello Series events. An oildown violation is defined as any incident requiring the use of NHRA Safety Safari equipment to cleanup an oil spill.

Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. NHRA presents 24 national events featuring the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series. NHRA provides competition opportunities for drivers of all levels in the NHRA Summit Racing Series and the NHRA Drags: Street Legal Style presented by AAA. NHRA also offers the NHRA Jr. Street program and the Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League for youth ages 5 to 17. In addition, NHRA owns and operates five racing facilities: Atlanta Dragway in Georgia; Auto-Plus Raceway at Gainesville in Florida; National Trail Raceway in Ohio; Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis; and Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in Southern California. For more information, log on to NHRA.com, or visit the official NHRA pages on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Heard Jack Beckman scored the 1st oil down of the season, not qualified, out $1000.00, and is sitting with -5 points.

Probably the one that MAKES the oil would be my bet....

Why Martin....whom could that be? Oh I don't know....maybe

SNL_0963_08_Church_Chat.png

LUCAS.jpg

The way the penalties are set up (to fail) the team that wins the bonus of $50K will likely have still been fined twice that much during the year. Kinda like a ponzi scheme, except you pay to win 1/2 your money back.

The way the penalties are set up (to fail) the team that wins the bonus of $50K will likely have still been fined twice that much during the year. Kinda like a ponzi scheme, except you pay to win 1/2 your money back.

In 2014, 27 nitro teams out of a total of 74 raced all season without an oil violation. John Force had the most oil-free runs in Funny Car with 160 and Shawn Langdon made the most Top Fuel oil-free runs with 154.

How do you figure that Randy ... Based on the stats quoted in the press release, over a third (36%) of the Nitro teams didn't spill a drop last season. Sounds to me like the team that gets the $50k will have done their best to earn it. That is if the same holds true in 2015.

Not one team gets the 50K ... the 50K is divided (it doesn't say how) among the top 10 oil free teams. If it is divided equally, 5K is not much incentive to not drop oil for the whole season, avoiding the fines and point penalties is a MUCH bigger deal.

This is exactly how one of my life insurance policies works, the remaining living get about half of their term premiums back each year that no too many of us die.

Do the teams need more incentive not to drop oil? I thought the cost of the engine damage was enough incentive already.

Do the teams need more incentive not to drop oil? I thought the cost of the engine damage was enough incentive already.
No kiddin', Ted.

In an already "beyond sustainable economical environment".. to penalize beyond their engine damage is beyond me.

Prock was saying bad luck with a few parts breaking, etc..lead to their not qualifying.

Jimmy is one of the top chiefs out there..coupled with Medlin..I would suspect Phoenix will be a different story..plus going forward.

Jack is in good hands.

Not one team gets the 50K ... the 50K is divided (it doesn't say how) among the top 10 oil free teams. If it is divided equally, 5K is not much incentive to not drop oil for the whole season, avoiding the fines and point penalties is a MUCH bigger deal.

Yer right Chris, that's the way I took it. 50K divided between the top 10 fewest oil down teams combined FC & Dragster. $5,000 each.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back