• Pure Heaven - Leon Fitzgerald
• Pure Hell - Rich Guasco
• High Heaven - Hughie Callen
• Sullivan Racing - Mike Sullivan
• The Tramp - Bryan Hall
• Iron Mistress - Brent Henry
• George Doty - Rodney Flournoy
• Bad News Fiat - Kurt Cruse

We were there yesterday racing and Densham was already on the property with several others waiting to go through the gate for some TnT today.

I understand Steve Gibbs resigned from the CHHR after new and uncalled for regulations were imposed on the attendees. I was unable to attend this year but I'm told there was a near revolution and many long time attendees are threatening to find a new venue or never go back. If true then it's a real shame and another indicator of NHRA's failure to consider the people who make it possible.

I was looking for an official entry list before the event to confirm our entry. They ran the credit card for fees, but no confirmation. No answers to calls or emails. We just wanted to know if we showed up that we could race. Finally had to use behind the scenes personal contacts to confirm our entry.

Rumors were rampant about Steve, he retired, he quit, or he was told to leave. I don't really know what happened.

The mysterious insurance representative story was given for the many changes in cackle car agenda. Cars being towed from across the country that had been accepted for the official cackle fest received calls on Wednesday that they were no longer included. NHRA was limiting the time for start ups in the pits, only two hours on Thursday. I attended the impromptu meeting in the stands and listened to the BS reasons being given. Rules were no fire ups in pits for the weekend, limited push starts and must be done on drag strip, only 40 cars for cackle fest. After listening to the car owners opinions on Thursday, magically the insurance company relented and Friday morning it was announced that you could start cars in the pits at any time.

I believe the make up of this event has grown to the point that a decision has to be made on whether it is a reunion for cackle cars or a racing event. There are too many entries on both sides for it to be both.

And what ever happens in the future, the event definitely needs more/better management and organization.

I loved all the old and new cars, brought back many memories, loved the track, it was always prepared well, and loved the competition. The winners earned their wins and all should be very proud of their accomplishments.

I've always felt it should be about the "back in the day" cars and people, after all it's called a reunion not a nostalgia or heritage race. I have no objection to the heritage racing and in fact I enjoy it but that's not why I've gone to several reunions in both Bakersfield and Bowling Green. I would not travel 1500 miles to attend a heritage race. It now sounds like I've seen my last reunion..

What once was a fun neat deal is at a crossroads. As the popularity has grown people's idea of what nostalgia should be, has altered over the years and the blame can be put right back on the racers themselves. NHRA just looks the other way.

We never have supported the Heritage Series and quite frankly nether has NHRA. I wouldn't even know who to call at NHRA to ask questions.With the exception of collecting money, tally points, make rules (they don't enforce) and hand out trophies what does NHRA do for the heritage Series? Not a damn thing.

With the Goodguys running under the tight VRA rules, you knew what to expect. But as egos, modern technology and money came in, the cost has risen tremendously while the competition has dwindled. In the class we racing A/G with our stock bodied '57 Chevy, we have to race against Pro Mod cars and others who race their cars with all the gadgets that Top Sportsman use. Things like adjustable restrictor plate take out the skill of tuning a carburetor. Use to be with the VRA if your car didn't pass their tech inspection it was, "Sorry fellas get that fix and bring it to the next race."

That is why places like Eagle Field and Kingdon Dragway are becoming more popular. It's because the money and politics have been taken out and the fun put in. Word from the the guys at Famoso Speed Shop is they are looking to bring back their Drag Fest n 2017. Not at Famoso, but at the Shafter Airport about 5 miles Southwest of the track in an effort to get away from NHRA and the big money guys. The Santa Maria Airport will open their auxiliary runway for an 1/8th mile track as they do now for Auto Cross. Could be others in the works too.

I have never had nor do I still have a problem supporting the NHRA Museum. Mr. Gibbs leaving has sadden me, but the museum means much more to those who built the sport of drag racing. NHRA Corporate has many problems and it is time to get out of the nostalgia racing business and considerate saving itself.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back