New TF/FC Rules (1 Viewer)

RMS

Nitro Member
From Competition Plus:
Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - NHRA IMPLEMENTS NEW SAFETY RULES

NHRA has mandated the following rule changes in the Top Fuel and/or Funny Car categories:

* Additional padding in the driver cockpit area in both Top Fuel and Funny Car, already in effect..
* A roll cage/helmet shroud, similar to those installed on Top Fuel cars, will be mandatory in Funny Car no later than the O'Reilly NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals in Bristol, Tenn.
* A seven-point driver restraint system will replace the current five-point systems in Funny Car no later than the O'Reilly NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals in Bristol, Tenn., and in Top Fuel by the O'Reilly NHRA Summer Nationals in Topeka, Kan. Along with the new restraints, NHRA has mandated stricter installation requirements, making sure that teams install the restraints according to manufacturer recommendations.

Last edited:
“We've learned something from Eric's incident that we've never witnessed before, that being an extreme oscillation or vibration,”

Anyone that remembers Eddie Hills crash at Sears Point in 1996 could have seen this coming. Ive watched it in slow motion the harmonic vibration was VIOLENT.

Now I know this is probably apples and oranges, but the writing was on the wall.

Too bad it took losing Eric 11 years later to realize it. :(

i think everyone kinda saw this coming as soon as Force said it helped....the only thing i dont get is why T/F gets an extra event to put the 7 pt harness in???? :confused:

the only thing i dont get is why T/F gets an extra event to put the 7 pt harness in???? :confused:

The seven-point is not available in large quantities from Impact yet and Simpson Safety will ship 7 to 10 days from the date of order, according to Simpson each one is made to order - then you need to multiply that supply by some fifty Top Fuelers & Funny Cars that need to install them now!

Seven Point Restraint System

The seven-point is not available in large quantities from Impact yet and Simpson Safety will ship 7 to 10 days from the date of order, according to Simpson each one is made to order - then you need to multiply that supply by some fifty Top Fuelers & Funny Cars that need to install them now!

Seven Point Restraint System

i figured that was probably the reason, but then why not give them both till topeka?

David...yes the rules mean bring more money w/out a promise of safety or mechanical success...

David...yes the rules mean bring more money w/out a promise of safety or mechanical success...

Terry - a very perceptive take on this. Putting the shield on FC cages can't hurt. But . . . more padding and a more restrictive harness may cause drivers to lose the "feel" they are used to, with no proof that any of this will help.
And - no standard on Head and Neck Restraints? The Hutchens (sp?) Hybrid is clearly a huge improvement in lateral protection. As usual, more questions than answers!

Terry - a very perceptive take on this. Putting the shield on FC cages can't hurt. But . . . more padding and a more restrictive harness may cause drivers to lose the "feel" they are used to, with no proof that any of this will help.
And - no standard on Head and Neck Restraints? The Hutchens (sp?) Hybrid is clearly a huge improvement in lateral protection. As usual, more questions than answers!

there will always be more questions than answers....there are circumstances that can cause injury to a driver that are not even imaginable, such as we learned through Eric's passing....all the NHRA can do as a sanctioning body is try and make strides towards greater safety as they see appropriate....is it possible to prevent a driver death from ever occurring again?? absolutely not, but to jump on them for trying to make improvements seems irresponsible IMHO....it's true that there is no proof that these changes will help, but isnt it also true that there is not any proof that they won't? To me it seems like this changes are the signal of a complete change to the structure of the cars, and this is just the first step

my $.02...take it or leave it

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back