New respect for TV effort (1 Viewer)

Kansas Stan

Nitro Member
stumbled into the NHRA today shooting and was definately impressed by the effort it takes to put that show together. If you haven't seen one of these in person, do so and I'm pretty sure the petty *****ing about inadequacies and such will drop considerably. My favorite off camera lines of the day had to do with Yonke's flight to Dallas to see his son graduate. Reif made mention of Dunn being 22 when he graduated from high school and Mike didn't miss a beat....turned around to the crowd with a smile and said, " yeah, but I could buy beer."

I have never knocked the effort it takes on location to get what's on the track to my living room. The ESPN staff are good at that part.

The problem comes from the announcer's booth every time Page opens his yap, and in the production trailer when it is deemed we need 15 replays of every run, no matter how pedestrian.

The NHRA TV program could be the best example of addition by subtraction, cut Page and cut an hour out of the show and you would have a much better TV package. Don't believe me? Watch the Pro Mod and Sportsman shows and get back to me. They are much more entertaining.

Thank God for the DVR ...

Why does every ESPN thread turn into a "let's bash Paul Page" fest? It's getting old, sure he flubs sometimes here and there but he's been getting better.

I actually think he's doing a good job. He's catching his now few gaffs and corrects them immediately.

No matter what you think of him he's still one of the most recognized voices in motorsports. With Keith Obermann's falling ratings on MSNBC, ESPN could have stuck us with him. Then I'd become a soccer fan.

I actually think he's doing a good job. He's catching his now few gaffs and corrects them immediately.

No matter what you think of him he's still one of the most recognized voices in motorsports. With Keith Obermann's falling ratings on MSNBC, ESPN could have stuck us with him. Then I'd become a soccer fan.
True-true-true.

The IndyCar series couldn't wait to get rid of that recognizable voice. So much so they took the drag racing guy (Marty Reid) and a recently retired NASCAR driver (Rusty Wallace).

Olbermann works for NBC ... how could ESPN stick us with him? He hasn't been on ESPN in a loooonnng time. No matter your politic ... Olbermann was fantastic on Sportscenter and does well on Sunday night football and he knows just as much about drag racing as Paul Page does.

But you guys are right ... complaining about Page is getting old. I am grateful for same day qualifying and races BUT I am more grateful for my DVR.

You wzz looking good too big guy !!!
Glad to see my man Yonke and the Grays hangin too !
All and all fresh faces and cars winnin Pro Stock is a good thing !
That Edwards is something else though !
Fans can never ever have a clue of the hard work it takes to be a contender in Pro Stock !

After reading the following, over on Competition Plus, I'll NEVER utter another bad word about Paul Page.

PAUL PAGE: BEFORE HE WAS A PROFESSIONAL VOICE
Written by Bobby Bennett Monday, 31 May 2010 08:50

Paul Page has been long known as the voice of the Indianapolis 500 and now calls the NHRA Drag Races for ESPN2.

What is not largely known is the iconic voice served his country in a different capacity during the Vietnam War from 1965 – 1971.

“I still argue with the government that I had twenty years of service as a military brat,” Page joked. ‘I grew up around the military and my stepfather was in the Army … infantry. I grew up on military bases but the government won’t count that. I changed schools twelve times from the first grade and graduation.”

The military rearing only inspired Page to become a member of the National Guard assigned to the 38th infantry before going full-time with the Army.

Page did two tours in Vietnam where his primary assignment was “trail watching”.

“We would go as deep as we could within enemy territory and set up near a choke point, or regular point they’d be passing like a bridge, where they’d be passing material and manpower through,” Page explained.

There was no middle ground for Page’s assignment.

“There were times of sheer terror and there were others where you were just counting things and taking an occasional picture. You’d report what you see and stuff like that. Our job was to be there without being seen.”

The scary moments for Page, came when his unit would go in support of someone else carrying out a mission.

“If you had a pilot who punched out, we had to go find him and drag him out,” Page said. “Some of those put us in contact. But, I was really good at running.”

Page wasn’t a track star but his motto was always, “I only had to be faster than the guy behind me. We were also running in full gear. We were trained to do it, it was our job.”

Page was assigned to Second Field Force and to Thompson Airbase. His unit also did time in Hue during the Tet Offensive in 1968. They also worked the rivers in the northern part of South Vietnam.

The river assignment revealed to Page his deathly fear of snakes.

“I was scared to death of snakes,” Page admitted. “There were a lot of them too. I’m still scared of snakes. Back in my training, everywhere we went we had to deal with snakes and even the worst, when I was in jungle warfare training in Panama, we had to eat one.”

Of his six years in serving his country, Page believes the best part of his service was his fellow soldiers.

“I really enjoyed those who I served with,” Page said. “You really always remember the fun stuff. I told a friend I believed basic training was fun, so I guess I’m really screwed up.”

stumbled into the NHRA today shooting and was definately impressed by the effort it takes to put that show together. If you haven't seen one of these in person, do so and I'm pretty sure the petty *****ing about inadequacies and such will drop considerably. My favorite off camera lines of the day had to do with Yonke's flight to Dallas to see his son graduate. Reif made mention of Dunn being 22 when he graduated from high school and Mike didn't miss a beat....turned around to the crowd with a smile and said, " yeah, but I could buy beer."

I'VE BEEN ENDORSING DUNN & REIF RIGHT ALONG, ALONG WITH GARY GERALD (sp?), and BOB FREY.

NUFF SAID!!!

There's a heck of alot of people involved in the show that you never even thnk of or see. Just like the unsung, road-weary nitro truckers who are on the road 200+ days a year to get from track to track, the TV girls & guys are right there with them. My favorite is the audio & camera guys who scour the pits on Sundays in the heat. Those guys weave through the masses, get off & on thier golf carts alot, lugging thier gear, for a 30 second shot..... all at the complete direction of someone barking orders at them over the radio. They get pretty intense for the semi's.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back