New Championship Format (1 Viewer)

Sully

Nitro Member
Just in - a gauranteed thriller that will go down to the last run of the last race.

No countdown.

Following the final round of the Finals, #1 and #2 will square off for the championship. Put it all on the line, one shot, winner take all.

Now that's dramatic, thrilling, exciting, bold, and different. All the things the current manipulation sought to be and failed.

Why don't they do a Chicago Style Deal? That the top 8 in pionts at the World Finals and let 'er rip.

Dave

Just in from my fevered brain, of course. You don't think NHRA would come up with anything that silly, do you?

Well, us old farts get criticized for not accepting the countdown format as the future of NHRA, so I thought I'd offer something that takes the drama and excitement to a new high and guarantees a suspense-filled final round to close out the season.

I could accept that more than the countdown. One race for all the marbles or only allow people who have won a race during the season to compete at a special race for the title. They all would suck but it'd be much better than the countdown and everybody would see it for what it is then.

I hope for the days when we can return to competition

I think we say this in PSM. One race for all the marbles. Meaning no disrespect to Chip Ellis, I'm glad Matt Smith won. No way should a multi-time event winner lose the championship to someone who would've won only 1 race. I'm not happy the way the countdown went for Greg Anderson. If Matt Smith lost, it really would've stunk. FWIW, I would make the following changes for next year:

- Eliminate the "countdown to one" cut: 2 races is too few to decide a championship

- More points for race wins: Winning a race should count for more than just another round win. Also, racers moving on to the next "countdown" stage should have bonus points for race wins transfer with them.

- Move all "countdown" racers to their own bracket

- All "countdown" racers should get guaranteed qualifying position: you want people to plan on traveling to these races? Make sure their favorite teams will be running on Sunday. Give them negative points if they would've DNQ'd but don't send them home.

Oh, and to anyone complaining about "countdown whining," now is exactly when we should be talking about it. Now we've seen a full "countdown" run its course and can decide what worked and what didn't. My two cents...

Well, us old farts get criticized for not accepting the countdown format as the future of NHRA, so I thought I'd offer something that takes the drama and excitement to a new high and guarantees a suspense-filled final round to close out the season.

Larry, I'm still waiting for them to go back to starting with flags...!!!! :D:D:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back