National Event Track Food Vendors (1 Viewer)

LoPony

Nitro Member
Wondering what others’ experiences were these days. Track food used to be dynamite at Indy, Memphis, Atlanta, Bristol and Pomona. Wondering how it is on the national event trails these days? Good tracks? Bad ones? Does everyone have access to the independent food vendors (I.e pit and spectator side?). Never mind price - we expect it to be pricy. Not sure I ever trusted track-owned concessions unless they looked really good and had more stuff than just burgers, dogs and fries.

Memorable items:
Atlanta, ½ lb hmburgers on a giant grill behind the pit side stands. Polish sausage sandwiches.
Memphis, apple dumplings with cinnamon syrup and ice cream
Pomona, BBQ, burritos, Korean tacos.

Anyone else? Do they still have those independent food vendors? That was one of the main reasons for going to the track (unless you were in TEC in Pomona, which I did for two events and it was completely worth it).

Wondering what others’ experiences were these days. Track food used to be dynamite at Indy, Memphis, Atlanta, Bristol and Pomona. Wondering how it is on the national event trails these days? Good tracks? Bad ones? Does everyone have access to the independent food vendors (I.e pit and spectator side?). Never mind price - we expect it to be pricy. Not sure I ever trusted track-owned concessions unless they looked really good and had more stuff than just burgers, dogs and fries.

Memorable items:
Atlanta, ½ lb hmburgers on a giant grill behind the pit side stands. Polish sausage sandwiches.
Memphis, apple dumplings with cinnamon syrup and ice cream
Pomona, BBQ, burritos, Korean tacos.

Anyone else? Do they still have those independent food vendors? That was one of the main reasons for going to the track (unless you were in TEC in Pomona, which I did for two events and it was completely worth it).
I can absolutly guarentee you that you will get an In-N-Out burger at Pomona! They are the event sponsors.:cool:

pomona has always had allot of great vendors, like pinks, now with in-n-out its even better. what is nice is in-n-out doesnt rise their prices allot,

Just always enjoyed the festival atmosphere and lots of variety food vendors at events. I’m hoping it’s still similar.

EVer since koretskys took over maple grove the food vendor johnnys pizza isnt there anymore,that was some great pizza,brimg them back!!

I mentioned above - one memory is the Italian sausage sandwiches loaded with onions, peppers and mustard. Tomato sauce if you want it (although I did not opt for that). Anyone seen those anywhere? If you do, get one.

One thing I remember very dearly was Huntsville Dragway, Alabama. The track owner used to be Roy Burchel, who also owned all the KFC franchises in N. Alabama. Every Saturday in the late 80’s, he would have his Decatur, AL location make a couple hundred KFC chicken sandwiches and wrap them up. He would bring them to the track and sell them in the concession stand for the same price (or less) than the restaurant. KFC got onto him for that and he couldn’t do it anymore.

Those things were good! They had good hotdogs too. Maybe everything tastes good when you’re at the track and really hungry!

That was an all concrete ⅛ mile, and that man loved drag racing. Really miss him.

The program was bracket racing and an occasional heads up Fast-8 group. People turned out in droves for the drags.

CHeers!

Sometimes the track food in the Old Daze 'weren't that great". Drag Dawgs would kinda do you in sometimes. I seem to remember San Fernando had good food. At least I never got sick from it. heh

Johnnys pizza maple grove,pls comeback lol

Attachments

• IMAG0808.jpg
    IMAG0808.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
I used to love the meat loaf sandwiches on garlic bread at Pomona from a vendor who's trailer was parked behind the pit grandstands..
That’s exactly the type of item I’m talking about! When do you remember that? Sounds delicious! I didn’t see it last time I was there (which was 2011).

Can't say that i've had any decent food at any track i've been to. And i'll include the barely edible food in the top eliminator club in Pomona and Gainesville.

Can't say that i've had any decent food at any track i've been to. And i'll include the barely edible food in the top eliminator club in Pomona and Gainesville.
That’s terrible! I thought the food at Pomona in top eliminator was pretty good, but not the unique specialty items from independent vendors that I was really soliciting for here. I ate there at TEC because it was included with the tickets. Not four-star, Michelin restaurant or anything, but certainly passable. Sorry you had a terrible experience.

Last edited:
There was a food truck that would show up to the Phoenix races that I would always grab nachos from because it was a generous helping and was pretty moderate in price but I had not seen them in recent years. When I was in high school our school's YoungLife group manned a concession stand at the nationals and I actually got in for free for a few years because I would carpool some of the group to the track. Ended up helping cover midday breaks too since I had a foodhandlers card at the time and they had a good bratwurst.

There was a stand that had in Sonoma that had a really good cheeseburger, cant remember the name but I remember they were behind the nitro pits. In Pomona I generally never ate at the concession stands because I would grab a breakfast burrito at El Merendaro behind the track and that lasted me for the day until I could bum a hotdog from Scott Palmer's guys.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back