Name Exemptions (1 Viewer)

johnny

Nitro Member
Identity Exemptions

Should there be a real name exemption for known and, or verifiable insiders? Theoretically J-Rod or Shannon could handle individual requests and use their discretion to accommodate. The exemption could be revoked at the first sign of provocation. A real sounding name (ex. Dan McGill) could be used.

Is this a good idea?

Last edited:
Heck, if Don Schumacher can come in here with his real name I think anybody can.

I happen to believe that you shouldn't say anything bad about someone while you're still working for them, anyways.

Apparently, people here don't want anything negative said about anyone even if you DO know it, so that's what I think we should give them since it's their board. I know it sounds ugly and not right but, if that's what will attract "names" back to this board and that's the greater good, then I think we should all try to do it.

Heck, if Don Schumacher can come in here with his real name I think anybody can.

I have seen more than my share of corporate scandals over the years and drag racing is no different than any other business. If someone loves Chevrolets but works for Ford, and are just somewhat visible via their "real name", then many comments could be easily construed as un-befitting an employee.

There are so many reasons today for any company to take issue with employees based on web statements or even by finding out that someone posted during working hours, that I would simply comment that if some sort of verifiable exception could be made on a case by case basis, and adequately monitored, that it would likely be helpful to all concerned.

The problem with idea is that this is actually quite a large industry... Perhaps a spokesperson from Cooper Industries (Mickey Thompson) wanted to participate? Perhaps a well know Brut marketing rep? Names that may not be on the tip of the tongue to some of us, but very visible within industry segments nonetheless... If the owners established a limited membership for insiders in a simplistic and easy to manage way and none of us except the moderators were aware, then it could work quite well and add some excitement to the board.

I'm not a big "love fest" guy. I do my best to think the best of everyone and I tend to hold back on any barbs, but when it is appropriate and warranted I am fine with jumping into some controversy and I do not mind putting my head on the block every once in awhile; It tends to keep me realistsic.

Great idea. :)

Last edited:
Ted, eloquent presentation.

I think it's important with regards to the health of the board. I'm no advocate of these individuals existing here unchecked, however, their presence is necessary. The Old Mater was a source of information. I can't tell you (Bobby Bennett probably can) how many significant sensitive stories broke early and accurately.

Ron, my opinion is, posting "something bad" is far from why these individuals need protection. They aren't all bad (most aren't).

I'm surprised (appalled?) at the lack of opinion.

Last edited:
Just an opinion.. but since the change everyone is like walking in ice.. & going over the top to be PC.. Not that I'm advocating bashing!

I thought I heard a verse or two of "Kum-bay-yah" It's politically correct... and wont offend anyone...

Again just an opinion.. look at the titles of some of the threads in the NHRA section... 1/2 are not really Drag related & belong over here in the lounge..

I can name 4 or 5 right off the top of my head. but
But WON'T
because it might be offensive or might be considered "Bashing the person who started the thread...

I see no reason why they can't pass the information on to another party to be posted here? We've seen it done before. "I have this on good authority from an insider who works for....blah blah blah."

If they REALLY want this information to be seen on the Mater I don't think they'll have any trouble getting it posted on here.

I see no reason why they can't pass the information on to another party to be posted here? We've seen it done before. "I have this on good authority from an insider who works for....blah blah blah."

If they REALLY want this information to be seen on the Mater I don't think they'll have any trouble getting it posted on here.

You are 100% correct... however whoever posts it might get a slap on the wrist for posting "Bad Rumors" or Bashing..."Example" I am a crew member for Michele's Pro Stock Team... I KNOW there are personality problems between 2 other crew members...I post Problems on Michele's Team.. Crew cant get along!
Now a moderator asks me how I know this... I say CANT reveal my "Inside source" ya know like the NY TIMES Reporters do when they post stuff that is either spiteful or just hateful toward the Bush administration...

And, they can also send it to Bobby Bennett to post in his 'Dirt' column. When someone sees it, they can post a link to it over here.

The only porblem I see is that most people have a life after the internet. I have been involved with computers back when a 2400 baud modem was expensive and a great many people see a message board or forum as a place to unwind once in awhile. maybe I am naive, but I wager the majority of crew people, workers, wannabees, and associated business types would just rather be comfortable posting than wondering if their boss mught read what they said.

I am not advocating "user names" as I think the team here did an outstanding job in making the real name choice and I want to see how it plays out after all the hoopala fades away.

However I know plenty of people who have lost their jobs or simply not been hired because of what they posted on the internet and that trend is going to infest all walks of life whether we like it, hate it, or protest against it.

For most insiders whith a lot to lose to feel comfortable, they need a way to be free to post yet also be held accountable by the moderator staff. From a message board perspective there are many invisible ways this may be accomplished if it is a direction the owners want to try.

All i am saying is that some night, for example, you are sitting around after dinner with a glass of wine and post something you shouldn't and three weeks later your employer says "hey... whats this I hear about....".

In regards to having other people post or using a different medium, frankly i don't think that people wait around all day just to post somethingup here. maybe I am misreading the general public, but as much as I may watch the news every night I would never think about having someone watch it and report back to me. of course, maybe I just haven't climbed high enough on the corpotrate ladder for that to happen. :D

First hand information is always better than second hand. If the moderators know, and have approved the personalities, there is still a system of accountability.
If I were an insider I wouldn't consider passing the information to Bennett or Hawthorne necessarily confidential. Again, in the 'Mater' past, stories have broken here long before Hawthorne or Bennett have disclosed. An example, the Brut pit fight. Another, Capps vs. Baze. Another, we were debating the Cagnazzi/Enders scenario on this board a month before it became public. These are just recent examples.

I have seen more than my share of corporate scandals over the years and drag racing is no different than any other business. If someone loves Chevrolets but works for Ford, and are just somewhat visible via their "real name", then many comments could be easily construed as un-befitting an employee.

There are so many reasons today for any company to take issue with employees based on web statements or even by finding out that someone posted during working hours, that I would simply comment that if some sort of verifiable exception could be made on a case by case basis, and adequately monitored, that it would likely be helpful to all concerned.

The problem with idea is that this is actually quite a large industry... Perhaps a spokesperson from Cooper Industries (Mickey Thompson) wanted to participate? Perhaps a well know Brut marketing rep? Names that may not be on the tip of the tongue to some of us, but very visible within industry segments nonetheless... If the owners established a limited membership for insiders in a simplistic and easy to manage way and none of us except the moderators were aware, then it could work quite well and add some excitement to the board.

I'm not a big "love fest" guy. I do my best to think the best of everyone and I tend to hold back on any barbs, but when it is appropriate and warranted I am fine with jumping into some controversy and I do not mind putting my head on the block every once in awhile; It tends to keep me realistsic.

Great idea. :)

You know? With as litigious and legally nitpicky as our society has become/is becoming, it wouldn't surprise me if someday you see employees/associates signing agreements pertaining to internet posting similar to non-compete agreements.

If I were the employer, I can't say I'd be against it, either. If the information is generated due to my company's business practices and the people work for me, it seems like I should be able to have the right to control it as long as I thought to require such an agreement BEFORE they started working for me. Seems like it would fit the definition of proprietary information.

You know? With as litigious and legally nitpicky as our society has become/is becoming, it wouldn't surprise me if someday you see employees/associates signing agreements pertaining to internet posting similar to non-compete agreements.

If I were the employer, I can't say I'd be against it, either. If the information is generated due to my company's business practices and the people work for me, it seems like I should be able to have the right to control it as long as I thought to require such an agreement BEFORE they started working for me. Seems like it would fit the definition of proprietary information.

It is already in many employee handbooks as part of their communications policies.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back