Monster Truck Backflip!!! WOW (1 Viewer)

Heh Brian, do you think they practiced that at all. I`m wondering how they knew how to build the ramp, what degree, or what ever. Definately not what I was expecting. That was awesome. Thanks.

Those trucks have been through so many improvements and design changes since the 80's, it's crazy. Dare I say, one of the most evolved forms of motorsports in that timeframe? Think back to Bob Chandler, who built the 1st Bigfoot... that thing had off-the shelf semi-truck leaf spring suspension, which he heated up and put a little more bend in them, with planetary axles and farm equipment supply store-bought terra tires. All on a factory production frame and body, with a souped-up tunnel ram gas engine. The trucks of today are NOTHING of the sorts. And that's only been since... what? 1980 or so. Don't get me wrong; it's entertaining as hell to this day.... but nowadays, they've bastadized it so much with "Monster Jam"that I think sometimes people forget just how much has changed with these machines - in not too long of a time.

Chris,
I agree completely, I was at Chandler's shop a few years back, and got a closeup of one of the Bigfoot trucks nekkid. They are works of art, and safe as anything. The fact that the drivers compartment didn't collapse on Pastrana's Backflip "Attempt" should speak to the safety of the trucks.

I'd bet the driver's body would give out waaaay before the truck ever did!

I have great childhood memories of watching those trucks perform car crushes in the arena shows. Remeber though, back then it was about the show, not about racing. It was about guys coming out and showing off their works of art. Kinda like a show and shine competition, or a car show. It wasnt till they started racing when they started migrating away from trucks to what they are now. The trucks of today have their place, but it would be nice to have the ushra include a nostalgia series to go around... maybe include truck and tractor pulling too.. and have the show in the arenas like they did back in the day. Maybe theres no market for it but I'd enjoy it.

Thankfully I lived in Detroit, because the Pontiac Silverdome was (what I consider) the epi-center of monster truck action in the 80's. There were some fabulous events held there. Bob Chandler always gave the fans thier money's worth.

Thankfully I lived in Detroit, because the Pontiac Silverdome was (what I consider) the epi-center of monster truck action in the 80's. There were some fabulous events held there. Bob Chandler always gave the fans thier money's worth.

the monster truck show at the Dome was the must see event every winter, that and the truck/tractor pulls. My dad and I used those as a midwinter load engine noise therapy sessions to helps us make it until the track opened

Everybody that's doing monster trucks today..owes it to Chandler..period!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back