mike salinas buying famoso race track???? (1 Viewer)

roscoe37

Nitro Member
this came up on another tread on the site.but just got lost, any new news on this,love this track and the way its run and i think mike would keep it about the same.i would like to see arna add nitro classes.maybe its a insurance thing . cannt want for the march meet.

Mike buying the lease is the rumor I heard, but have not heard anything official. ANRA success is because it stays true to the sportsman racers and keeps cost to a minimal.

If the nitro racers want to have a race, they'll have to figure it out on their own.

ANRA's insurance is for 7:50 ET and above. That is why they don't have 7:0 Pro and quicker or other classes and run all the classes @ X:60 and above. Any insurance that lets you run below that is double the amount and the cost of operation goes way up as well as the down time.
Haven't heard anything more about Mike, but he was at Tom Shelar's Memorial along with the Bowsers. Don't know if he was friend or not.

Mike is friends with the Bowsers. HIm buying the track, I have no idea and I'm pretty sure my life will go on no mater if he buys it or not. Rumors, let it go till.

Roger, no 7.0 pro at ANRA because lack of support

I've been told the best part about the March Meet is the people. Also, the place is basically empty of spectators on Sunday.

With the exception of guys like Mike English, most everyone has to go back to work on Monday. So as soon as you're knocked out it's time to pack up and head home. Some competitors may still live in California, but still have an 8 hour tow to go home. The other thing is that as much as Famoso and Bakersfield has a certain charm about it, 5 days there is just too much.

We haven't raced the March Meet in about five years, but may decide to go this year as it looking like it will be our last year racing our '57. We're all getting too old and last year was a disaster for us and took a financial and physical toll on us. Then again, who knows, we may get re energized and run two cars at the ANRA events.

With the exception of guys like Mike English, most everyone has to go back to work on Monday. So as soon as you're knocked out it's time to pack up and head home. Some competitors may still live in California, but still have an 8 hour tow to go home. The other thing is that as much as Famoso and Bakersfield has a certain charm about it, 5 days there is just too much.

We haven't raced the March Meet in about five years, but may decide to go this year as it looking like it will be our last year racing our '57. We're all getting too old and last year was a disaster for us and took a financial and physical toll on us. Then again, who knows, we may get re energized and run two cars at the ANRA events.

It's not te racer's I'm talking about. Most people go for the people and couldn't care less about the racing.

Maybe his daughter will finally get a handle on that bike now? I don't understand how they let her out there with seasoned professionals when she's not just a rookie to NHRA, she's a rookie to riding period. It's dangerous and I'm worried that she's going to end up getting herself or someone else severely hurt or killed.

I mean, look at Troy Jr. He was having problems keeping his TF dragster straight and he chose to step down to a slower car and get more seat time in the sportsman ranks. Perfect example of how it should be done. Instead, she keeps on struggling to control the bike, going from the center line one run to the wall on the next. Seems like every run, she's leaning off the bike as far as possible in an attempt to get it to go where she wants. Is she just so new that she doesn't realize how dangerous she is? Is her father's ego so big he won't let her step down and learn to ride? I don't understand how the higher-ups haven't stepped in yet. Maybe if they did buy this track, she'll take some time and learn to actually ride that bike. She really needs to before the start of the season, IMHO.

So,1st of all The County Of Kern owns the land that Famoso Raceway is on. The NHRA leases The Track from Kern County when they lease it it's either 20 or 25 year lease, The NHRA then turns around and sub-leases the Track To John and Blake Bowser. They have done a great job running the track and have put a WHOLE lot of money upgrading the Facilities. The Fire that burned down the Starting Line Tower a few years ago set them back a bit . So If Mike Salinas would have to buy The Bowsers out of there lease and then it would have to be approved by The NHRA and the County Of Kern.

Maybe his daughter will finally get a handle on that bike now? I don't understand how they let her out there with seasoned professionals when she's not just a rookie to NHRA, she's a rookie to riding period. It's dangerous and I'm worried that she's going to end up getting herself or someone else severely hurt or killed.

I mean, look at Troy Jr. He was having problems keeping his TF dragster straight and he chose to step down to a slower car and get more seat time in the sportsman ranks. Perfect example of how it should be done. Instead, she keeps on struggling to control the bike, going from the center line one run to the wall on the next. Seems like every run, she's leaning off the bike as far as possible in an attempt to get it to go where she wants. Is she just so new that she doesn't realize how dangerous she is? Is her father's ego so big he won't let her step down and learn to ride? I don't understand how the higher-ups haven't stepped in yet. Maybe if they did buy this track, she'll take some time and learn to actually ride that bike. She really needs to before the start of the season, IMHO.
Im thinking that is why her bike is so detuned,to get her to get comfy?

So,1st of all The County Of Kern owns the land that Famoso Raceway is on. The NHRA leases The Track from Kern County when they lease it it's either 20 or 25 year lease, The NHRA then turns around and sub-leases the Track To John and Blake Bowser. They have done a great job running the track and have put a WHOLE lot of money upgrading the Facilities. The Fire that burned down the Starting Line Tower a few years ago set them back a bit . So If Mike Salinas would have to buy The Bowsers out of there lease and then it would have to be approved by The NHRA and the County Of Kern.

This all correct Mike, except for the last line. I believe, unless there is a clause in the agreement, the county would not have any say as to who the sub-leaser is. NHRA would buy out the Bowsers contract and turn the lease over to Salinas (where the money comes from). keep in mind that the property is more than just the track. It includes the runway to the east and the land that has all the piles of manure on it. The rumor also has it that a road race course will be put over there as well as other types of tracks.

Right now this is all rumors, but it may come to light after the first of the year.

Famoso has a mystique all of it's own. I've been going since the early '60's with my dad to the last many with my son. I might be done this year cause like Larry my health is failing.
The Bowsers have brought it back to where it was prior the Good Guys that didn't help the history. It's a fantastic race and car show and a people watching event. I've seen a lot of great changes in the last few years, and yes, I have a brick on that wall. If I can't make it this year you can bet I will be glued to the computer watching. The old Hay Hauler just might be retired.

That's Correct Gino I grew up 10 miles from there in Wasco That land has a lot of history behind it. It was originally an auxiliary landing strip for The Army Air Corps during World War 2 for Minter Field at Lerdo Hwy and Hwy 99. Where lucky it's still around as Gardner Field by Taft is gone the kids from Taft used to race there. and I think Wasco airport and Lost Hills airport are the only two auxiliary runways left. I was a very lucky kid (did not realize it at the time) to be able to watch so many of Drag Racing legends At Famoso in the late 60's and 70's. I remember when it rained during the March Meet and watching the crop dusting Helicopters hovering over the track trying to dry it! That was old school at it's best. I've heard nothing but good things about Mike Salinas. But I hope The Bowsers keep it a few more years Because it's nice to have a local connection still running the Track. Just my 2 cents

Thanks Mike, I couldn't agree more. Whatever the future holds for Famoso, I sincerely hope that it is able to retain it character and vibe. Even though we are two hours to the south, we consider Famoso are home track and will continue to offer our support.

18121300_1383859561677131_7799821824184074839_o.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back