Matt Smith (1 Viewer)

He keeps switching bikes mid race. I think the bigger complaint isn't just switching bikes but that it's completely different brand. Rather than rolling out a new chassis, it's like a Pro Mod driver packing up the Nitrous car and pulling out a Turbo one mid race.
What Matt is doing is fully within the rules, but seems to be pushing the intent of the rule. I would imagine a rule change will be coming.
This also makes it harder money wise for teams. You not only tune for the track but now have different types of bikes/cars based on the conditions. I guess a benefit of being a pro driver over the hobbyist. :) (sorry couldn't resist)

He has two bikes in his trailer, a Buell and a Suzuki. He's swapped between the two all year long, sometimes in between races, sometimes during the race itself, based on which combination he feels is better suited to the track, weather, and other factors.

Some people say this is unfair, but he has never broken a rule during any of this. You're allowed to change vehicles once per weekend. So what he's doing isn't illegal, but you could say he is abusing the rule. The one change per weekend rule is there so that in the event of a crash, or other major damage that can't be repaired at the track, the competitor can keep racing. But the rule doesn't say you have to crash your primary car to go to a backup, so again, Matt isn't breaking any rules here. Some also say that he (or anyone else) shouldn't be allowed to swap brands during the weekend. As far as I'm concerned, if NHRA didn't want people doing that, they would have written a rule against it.

He keeps switching bikes mid race. I think the bigger complaint isn't just switching bikes but that it's completely different brand. Rather than rolling out a new chassis, it's like a Pro Mod driver packing up the Nitrous car and pulling out a Turbo one mid race.
What Matt is doing is fully within the rules, but seems to be pushing the intent of the rule. I would imagine a rule change will be coming.
This also makes it harder money wise for teams. You not only tune for the track but now have different types of bikes/cars based on the conditions. I guess a benefit of being a pro driver over the hobbyist. :) (sorry couldn't resist)
Thanks for the reply.

He has two bikes in his trailer, a Buell and a Suzuki. He's swapped between the two all year long, sometimes in between races, sometimes during the race itself, based on which combination he feels is better suited to the track, weather, and other factors.

Some people say this is unfair, but he has never broken a rule during any of this. You're allowed to change vehicles once per weekend. So what he's doing isn't illegal, but you could say he is abusing the rule. The one change per weekend rule is there so that in the event of a crash, or other major damage that can't be repaired at the track, the competitor can keep racing. But the rule doesn't say you have to crash your primary car to go to a backup, so again, Matt isn't breaking any rules here. Some also say that he (or anyone else) shouldn't be allowed to swap brands during the weekend. As far as I'm concerned, if NHRA didn't want people doing that, they would have written a rule against it.
Thank you for the reply

FWIW, I do believe there is a rule change coming over the winter. Matt has already mentioned it in an interview. Racing is expensive enough so what if it became the norm to need two different Bikes/Cars to be competitive. We would end up with lesser racers or bikes, not more.

I always wondered why the fuel classed didn't have a cool weather car and a hot weather car. 🤷‍♂️ lol

Tom Conway once switched from TAD to A/FD and back during the same race. But he did it with the same car. He changed engine, driveline, even the fuel tank and lines so as not to have any chance of fuel contamination with the TAD

Alan
Wow! That’s crazy!

Pro Comp used to have the class of the week. Ken Veney ran all kinds of classes depending on the weight break. That was a fun class to watch.

Pro Comp used to have the class of the week. Ken Veney ran all kinds of classes depending on the weight break. That was a fun class to watch.
Pro Comp was a special class, and I loved the variety of cars. As a kid, I became a huge fan of Dale Armstrong after he won Pro Comp at Indy in '74 driving a AA/A on alky. He started the year winning Pomona in an injected nitro Chevy dragster, beating teammate Ken Veney's BB/FC. The problem with classes that have such variety, is creating parity with so many combos. The other problem is, racers over time will eventually end up running the fastest most consistent combination, and that's what pretty much led Pro Comp to evolve into TAD and TAFC. And those same issues exist today with classes like Pro Mod, PSB, etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back