Matt Smith Shows His Talent Once Again In Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Matt Smith Shows His Talent Once Again In Sonoma

Coming off rather frustrating qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday, Smith was not so sure about how his outcome would be on Sunday.

“We ran terrible in qualifying,” said Smith. “We couldn’t get off the line to save our lives. We never once made a good run. I have changed everything under the sun, even the motor. Guess we will see what happens.”

Wanting to not only gain ground in the points, but to win at the track his dad (Rickie Smith) won his first NHRA Wally on, Smith hunkered on and remained focus even with his Torco Buell not running up to par.

Qualifying in the eighth spot and having to run his Torco teammate, Chris Rivas first round was not how Smith wanted his raceday to start. Both riders left the line with stellar reaction times and were dead even when they came by the tree, but Smith’s bike was able to hold on for the win.

Making many necessary changes in the pits to his Buell after the round, Smith was unsure about what to expect second round against Shawn Gann. Cutting another good light and running somewhat quicker than the round before, Smith would go into the semi-finals.

Facing off against red-hot Peggy Llewellyn in the semis, Smith knew he would have to be great on the tree. Leaving on her over five hundredths, Smith would go onto his seventh final of the year, in just nine short races.

Knowing the emotion that could take over with all the incredible memories at the beautiful Sonoma track, Smith forced himself to remain calm and cool as he pulled up to the line. Leaving on first time finalist Eddie Krawiec and never looking back, Smith would go on to win his third race of the year at the place that is so very dear to his heart.

“Last year Eric Medlen wanted to play the guitar they give you,” said Smith. “But he didn’t have a pick. I got one out of my Oakley shoes and gave it to Eric so that he could play. He gave it back to me about 30 minutes later. I knew right then and there that there was something special about him. Eric was one in a million and I will forever remember that moment. It is great to be able to share the winner’s circle with such an incredible group that knew he so well.”

“And to win at the track my dad won on in 1993 is just surreal. To have Latrell Preston from Torco here was awesome. We love having our sponsors at the track, especially when we run well. Torco, Mac Tools, Red Line Oil, Mark Stockseth what can I say I wouldn’t be here without them.” said Smith.

Smith extended his points lead by a whooping 179 points over Angelle Sampey. The Pro Stock Motorcycle’s will be back at it again in two weeks at Brainerd International Raceway, August 9-12.

Evan Knoll, founder of Knoll Gas-Torco Racing Fuels and a major sponsor of motorsports, has dedicated himself to bringing high quality racing fuel to every aspect of motorsports. When Evan is not spending time with his daughters you will find him following one of his many-sponsored race teams. Evan is a loyal family man and an avid drag racing fan.

The company also offers commercial and racing oils and lubes; SKULL Shine, a complete line of car care products; SKULL Gear, a complete line of apparel, traction compound, and racing-related accessories.

For more information on Torco Racing Fuels, SKULL Shine Car Care Products and SKULL Gear apparel, please visit: www.torcoracefuels.com or www.torco.com.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back