"Marquee Matchup" - what the...... (1 Viewer)

epper

Nitro Member
I've been an avid drag race fan for almost 50 years and watch ESPN's coverage regularly. I'm so glad that Paul Page has been replaced by Dave Rieff.
QUESTION: Where the heck did this term "marquee matchup" suddenly come from? It wasn't only Dave saying it (repeatedly), it was the Mike and the pit reporter too. I realize that probably I sound kinda petty - but I found it to be weird and annoying. It sounded like it was pre-arranged to be a part of the narrative. Just plain goofy sounding when you hear it over and over and over.

I hope they cut it out soon.

Dale

I've been an avid drag race fan for almost 50 years and watch ESPN's coverage regularly. I'm so glad that Paul Page has been replaced by Dave Rieff.
QUESTION: Where the heck did this term "marquee matchup" suddenly come from? It wasn't only Dave saying it (repeatedly), it was the Mike and the pit reporter too. I realize that probably I sound kinda petty - but I found it to be weird and annoying. It sounded like it was pre-arranged to be a part of the narrative. Just plain goofy sounding when you hear it over and over and over.

I hope they cut it out soon.

Dale

Main Card at a Boxing or Wrestling show...
d'kid

edit:11:35 pm 18 March 2013

mar·quee
[mahr-kee] Show IPA
noun
a tall rooflike projection above a theater entrance, usually containing the name of a currently featured play or film and its stars.
a rooflike shelter, as of glass, projecting above an outer door and over a sidewalk or a terrace.
Also, marquess, marquise. British . a large tent or tentlike shelter with open sides, especially one for temporary use in outdoor entertainments, receptions, etc.
adjective
superlative; headlining: a marquee basketball player.
Origin:
1680–90; assumed singular of marquise, taken as plural

Can be confused: marque, marquee, marquess, marquis, marquise.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.

Therefore, there can be only one marquee match up per event/show

Last edited:
They used 'marquee matchup' last year too. Not sure why a Bernstein/Dixon race early in the season is any more of a big deal than anyone else, but oh well. No big thing, I wasn't offended and it did turn out to be the best pedalfest of the day.

Nice spin. Not to mention the attention to the Marquee Matchup paid off in the form of an upset. Nice job of ESPN of the broadcasts.

I find the whole thing a little contrived. To me, every run in eliminations is a "marquee matchup," you lose you go home. No 2nd chances.

I thought it was overused too. I can see when a first round matchup has two heavyweights such as Massey/Langdon this week, But the nature of the whole 1 on 1 event is that every matchup is marquee

Dear God, please make it stop! Between qualifying last night and racing today I can't count the number of times I've heard this dumb phrase.

I find the whole thing a little contrived. To me, every run in eliminations is a "marquee matchup," you lose you go home. No 2nd chances.

Good point Sam. I agree with you. As tight as all the fields are these days, nobody is guaranteed a win, especially when track conditions are a little iffy. Every run is critical, and no one wants to Go Home in the 1st Rd. Look who did today!

It was good to see you again, however briefly it turned out to be. I missed the Gator's last year (no money) so wasn't going to let it be two years in a row. My newbie friend WAS impressed by the ground pounding, stands rattling, nitro Top Fuelers & Funny Cars. He's watched them on TV for years but had never experienced it and now understands how it does not translate or come across on TV like in person.

Last edited:
I thought they meant too guys named Markey.................(drum Roll) bada bing-bada boom. .......................P'leeeeeeze.

what about "sweep the swing".
That phrase is uttered every 15 seconds during the western swing !!

That's always been my nemesis! Sweep the Swing, sweep the swing....(ad infinitum) UGH let's face it, Anything repeated too often loses anything it once possessed in way of "cool" factor or emotional punch. You can basically blame dorky out-of-touch producers and the "suits" for most of the crummy ideas in media. (there's someone in an announcer's ear at all times). They rule the roost, ramrodding bad idea after bad idea, and like most industries, it still succeeds in spite of management, therefore, they mistakenly think that's validation.

I thought they meant too guys named Markey.................(drum Roll) bada bing-bada boom. .......................P'leeeeeeze.

lol I thought I was the only one that thought I needed a permanent guy with a snare drum following me around for the "rimshots"

what about "sweep the swing".
That phrase is uttered every 15 seconds during the western swing !!

"Sweeping the Swing" might mean something if there was a $$$$$$ Bonus for doing it, say an extra 50 points per race (150 total) and an additional $100 grand.:rolleyes: :cool:

d'kid

"Sweeping the Swing" might mean something if there was a $$$$$$ Bonus for doing it, say an extra 50 points per race (150 total) and an additional $100 grand.:rolleyes: :cool:

d'kid

The only time it ever "meant" anything was when there was a less cluttered schedule, and the western swing was considered a hardcore set of three weekends back to back. Now it's SOP as most all races on the schedule are back to back.

Yeah I don't get the whole Western Swing being a big deal. Same as any 3 win streak. This isn't back in the day. These teams haul with everything they need and more.

Yeah I don't get the whole Western Swing being a big deal. Same as any 3 win streak. This isn't back in the day. These teams haul with everything they need and more.

Apply this to Clermont, IN and I would agree 100%. It is just another race at sub standard facilities.

It's not just because of it being 3 weekends in a row! A lot of the difficulty relates to the fact that those three races consist of dramatically different conditions. When you start out at Bandimere, with the altitude affecting tune ups and aerodynamics, then move on to Sonoma at sea level, and then onto Seattle with some of the best air due to all of the trees around.....that's unlike any other 3 races that are back-to-back-to-back.

It's even more difficult for those teams that are based on the East coast, i.e. Cagnazzi, KB, Tasca. Those teams can encounter some major hurdles if they have too much parts breakage, which Denver seems to deliver.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back