Little Issues Limit Perkins to Semi-Final Finish in Seattle (1 Viewer)

Kent, Wash. - Cody Perkins had a few issues this last weekend at the O'Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Northwest Nationals in Seattle. The issue he is most proud of was running his career best time of 5.326 @ 264.86. The other little issues would have more of an effect on his plans to win the race.
It was during Friday’s qualifying that Perkins, piloting his 801 Racing Dragster, ran his big number to put him in the number three qualifying position. The whole team was excited with the 5.326 run and wanted more.

“I really wanted to run a twenty, said Perkins. “We were comfortable with our set-up and we were ready to set it on kill”

Unfortunately, the third qualifying session on Saturday was cancelled due to the small car count and other conditions. Cody and the team were really looking forward to the opportunity to step up their game and go for the top qualifying spot. They would have to wait another day to go down the track.

On Sunday, during first round action, Cody got out of the gate first with a .018 light and took the win with a stellar 5.336@ 263.77 to beat James Butler. The 801 Racing team was fired up and looking forward to another round. This was when the first little issue was noticed. A spark plug tube had come loose. It was not a big deal because it had happened right at the end of the run. The team moved forward and prepared for their next round.

In the semi-finals, Cody faced Joey Severance. This was when that little issue from the last round popped up. The spark plug tube came loose again this time earlier in the run and caused some loss of traction. Cody gave it all he could, but Severance took the win light. On the bright side, the engine was fine, just a little dirty.

“I hate losing, said Perkins. “In fact, I’m not a good loser, but I’m happy for Joey since he went on to win the race.”

The semi-final loss spelled the end of the weekend for the 801 Racing Dragster, but Cody and his family will deal with those issues for their next race in Brainerd, MN. Cody will be taking a little chip on his shoulder to the Minnesota race, and is planning on giving the other teams some issues.

Attachments

• cody_perkins_NHRA_staged.jpg
    cody_perkins_NHRA_staged.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 31
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back