Leno rides along with Bob Riggle (Hemi Under Glass) (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Not sure if this is old news, it was just posted a few days ago.

Wild ride! Glad neither were injured.

Man, Riggle looked shocked once it was all over with. Bummer that he scratched up such a nice car.

the glass survived because it is plexi (although I once clobbered a tempered rear hatch on an Omni with a sledge over and over with no result!) and Riggle said it was going to need a body.

It was only his second crash in his career.....caused by the banking on the Irwindale track....

I'd be real surprised if Jay did not step up with a lot of support to help get car back up to great shape

The first thing that got me nervous was before they even started the run seeing Jay Leno with his arm leaning on the window frame and his hand on the roof !!!!

I told my son that is not a good idea!!

I started to have flash backs of all the guy's in sprint cars and midgets who broke their arms and hands years ago before the day's of arm restrains when their cars rolled and their arms came flying out only to have their land on top of them.

Jay Leno sure showed his sense of humor after the roll over and his a very funny guy for sure.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

They discussed this and played the clip on a morning talk radio show here today. The "DJ" described Riggle as an "80 year old stunt driver" LOL It's a show I listen too every morning and it was cool hearing a blown hemi this morning!

not plexiglass(acrylic), it is polycarbonate......not thought thru very well doing this at irwindale as they did; practice probably worked fine without jay's added weight; glad they were both ok, especially leno's arms.....looks like jay had the sense to keep his arms as tight as he could inside. saw this making the morning news reels earlier today too.

Looks like the back end was hoping over some uneven asphalt which could have caused them to carry too much speed to the embankment. Why they didn't do this stunt on the 1/8th mile drag strip is a more interesting question.

Chances are the car will be covered under the production company's insurance policy.

Still can't understand why they did this in the infield of the circle track when the dragstrip is right next door. Or the large parking lot.

Still can't understand why they did this in the infield of the circle track when the dragstrip is right next door. Or the large parking lot.

I think I have the answer to the question both you and I posed. The car is not NHRA approved and there for could not be allowed on the strip. Regarding the parking lot, don't know other than no outer safety barriers.

Wasn't all the Hemi Under Glass cars going up on auction later this year?

Bernard, the shop supervisor over at Jay's Big Dog garage. races a side hack road race motorcycle. That is the kind where the Monkey" climbs all over it to counterbalance it in the turns. Bernard stopped by the shop one evening and said they were up here at the track filming for the show, and Jay rode as the monkey on the hack. Don't know when that one will air.

not plexiglass(acrylic), it is polycarbonate......not thought thru very well doing this at irwindale as they did; practice probably worked fine without jay's added weight; glad they were both ok, especially leno's arms.....looks like jay had the sense to keep his arms as tight as he could inside. saw this making the morning news reels earlier today too.

plexi was easier to type than polycarbonate (and in case you are wondering, I copied and pasted "polycarbonate" 2X from your post because I still didn't feel like typing it) :D

What's the problem with having your hand outside of the car? Wild Willie did it on every run. Of course, there was no top and car usually was at a 45 degree angle with the wheels up! - :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back