Larry Morgan running comp (1 Viewer)

squid

Nitro Member
:confused:
HEBRON, Ohio - Order after one round of qualifying in Competition Eliminator at the NHRA, Third annual Jeg's Northern SPORTSnationals:

Psn--Num--Class-Driver, Home Town, Machine-----------------ET---Index---(+/-)

1 351 B/A Larry Morgan, Newark OH, '06 Stratus 6.998 7.67 -0.672
2 3 E/SM Jeff Taylor, Floyds Kobb IN, '07 Cobalt 8.508 9.16 -0.652
3 5250 B/SR Todd Patterson, Augusta KS, '34 Chevy 7.890 8.53 -0.640
4 3000 G/ED Jerry Arnold, Kalamazoo MI, Kustoms-Chevy 8.046 8.66 -0.614
5 3427 D/ED Jesse Plant, Terre Haute IN, Plant-Chevy 7.389 7.99 -0.601
6 1160 F/D Al Ackerman, Saddle Brook NJ, ProStart-Che 8.092 8.69 -0.598
7 330 D/D Brian Browell, Lafayette IN, McKinney-Chevy 7.240 7.82 -0.580
8 4 A/EA David Rampy, Piedmont AL, '32 Bantam 7.324 7.90 -0.576
9 1 AA/SM Bo Butner, Floyds Knobs IN, '07 Cobalt 7.163 7.71 -0.547
10 2 I/AA Sal Biondo, Maspeth NY, '93 Beretta 8.317 8.85 -0.533
11 373 D/ED Ray Vierheller, Barberton OH, McKinney-Che 7.463 7.99 -0.527
12 358 A/EA David Billingsley, Decatur IL, '93 Cutlass 7.377 7.90 -0.523
13 143Y F/ED Doug Doll Jr., Lititz PA, N&P-Pontiac 8.407 8.90 -0.493
14 394 C/ED Greg Kamplain, Brownsburg IN, Spitzer-Chevy 7.380 7.87 -0.490
15 3068 J/AA Steve Ambrose, Woodhaven MI, '23-T Ford 7.928 8.40 -0.472
16 3316 B/A Mike Hazlett, Indianapolis IN, '97 Cutlass 7.204 7.67 -0.466
17 3505 D/A Mike Graves, Newark IL, '06 GTO 7.939 8.36 -0.421
18 1892 C/D Chris Bozic, Pittsburgh PA, ChasCraft-Chevy 7.147 7.54 -0.393
19 300 C/D Mauri Rose, Warren MI, Spitzer-Chevy 7.265 7.54 -0.275
20 1170 AA/AM Steve Levine, New Windsor NY, '23-T Ford 6.850 7.11 -0.260
21 3121 J/AA Jim Browder, New Albzny OH, '23-T Ford 8.194 8.40 -0.206
22 3606 J/AA John Peto, Burton OH, '32 Bantam 8.259 8.40 -0.141
23 301 A/D Bob Book, Frankfort IL, Pro Start-Olds 7.266 7.04 0.226
24 388 B/AA Brian Stufflebeam, Peoria IL, '23-T Ford 7.877 7.65 0.227
25 308R B/AA Jeff Wright, Glenford OH, '04 Cavalier 7.951 7.65 0.301
26 1784 A/ED Scott Talarowski, Blue Anchor NJ, Dragster 10.268 7.22 3.048
27 357 B/TA Rick Brown, Lebanon OH, '00 S-10 13.527 8.93 4.597
From drag race central

Glad i refreshed the page,. i was just about to post that! It's not like he hasn't run as a Sportsman before but i wonder what the deal is?

Just called Larry to find out how he was doing it. He simply put a short crank in one of his HEMIs and is having fun. He said that the car is 2400 lbs. and the engine is 446 ci. and it is hauling.

Best of luck Larry!

Alan

P.S. I think that's the first ever 6 second run by a B/A

Last edited:
Thanks Alan!

That is pretty stout considering guys have been thrashing on combinations for years to run 7.0's.

Thanks Alan....I thought somebody already went a 6 in B/A

Sean Dodd ran a 6.99 in B/AA earlier this year-I'll have to check out Nitro Joe's stats to see about B/A.

BTW, I hope Larry doesn't smack the B/A index. He is a fan of comp-remember reading that in either Drag Racer or Drag Racing Action. Ed Bennett III used to run B/A in a neon and would test carbs for Larry.

As for why he's doing it besides having fun, remember that he is sponsored by Lucas and Lucas also sponsors the Sportsmen Series, so its another way to plug his sponsor. Also, maybe he's trying to get someone to buy a motor-the short stroke, light weight combo strikes me as the best way to go in B/A. I hope he does well at this race, but I'm pulling for a car with a considerably smaller motor than Larry's and only half the cylinders.

Well, it's nice to see that the Pro's have another sandbox to stir up, when they get bored. :rolleyes: This is sure to bring more little guys into the Sportsmans Comp. Elim. I know, I know, don't get me started. Nevermind.....

WOW! I was kinda pulling for Tom Huggins to be the first in B/A. He was the record holder with a 7.02, but that's cool for Larry!

Jean,

If you are complaining about the high-dollar racers coming into Comp and making life difficult for the backyard racers, you are several years too late for that.

- Larry

You don't have to tell me Larry. :D I know it, all to well. That's why I said nevermind. It's just more old news to me. :D It would have been nice to see a Comp racer be first in the 6's though. I know I'd have been pissed, if a PRO had stepped in and beat my first run in the 8's, many years ago.

I don't see a problem with Larry Morgan running in comp,he was a sportsman racer for many many years before he went pro.To me Larry running comp acknowledges that he hasn't forgotten his roots in the sport.

I don't see anyone complaining when Jeg Coughlin runs in S/S or S/G.

I don't see a problem with Larry Morgan running in comp,he was a sportsman racer for many many years before he went pro.To me Larry running comp acknowledges that he hasn't forgotten his roots in the sport.

Chris, I agree with one exception. In S/S or S/G you don't have the capability of hurting a regular's index. If he earns B/A a permanent index hit, he's not going to make many new friends.

I agree, I think that it is great to see competition. Comp has always been a favorite class and I think that it is great that Larry has not forgotten his roots. I wonder if he has a secret "Castrol" decal on the car just for old time sake.

Jean,

If you are complaining about the high-dollar racers coming into Comp and making life difficult for the backyard racers, you are several years too late for that.

- Larry

Wasn't it Bob Frey who said Competition Eliminator is God's way of telling you that you have too much money? :)

Except for that word "was" isn't "is". Also S/C* and S/G aren't about records and points.

Don't get me wrong, I like Larry and love to see a good race, but what about the B/A's that are still sportsman, not PRO's, that were knocking on the six second door. The chance to be the first is gone. It was done, Not by a Sportsman car, but a Pro car. Shouldn't happen IMO.

* I've corrected the S/C, as I had typed S/S in error, sorry.:eek:

Last edited:
Jean,so they kick him out and tell him he can't race??

I also don't see where Larry is bombing the class.And the other comp racers could have used the same combo Larry has.Can't and shouldn't penalize or criticise him for coming up with it.If another comp racer used Larry's car with this combo,would it be Ok then??

Chris, I guess we'll just have to agree that we disagree. In my world NHRA Sportsman racing and classes, are made up and raced by non-professional racers. The Pro cars and drivers need Pro licenses and run in the Pro catagories.

I happen to think Larry is a Professional now, no longer a Sportsman. They are two different levels in this sport. He has the Pro money, pro engines, shares information with his other teams. Why come into the Sportsman group and take away a chance for the little guy, who is trying to work his way up, as Larry has.

It's just my opinion, but this is just another of many reasons Comp has gotten so damn high priced. What I see happening is what's happened in the Pro deals. Bigger teams, more cars and larger amounts of money needed to compete. Well, so much for the little guys coming on board. How is Comp to grow, if the big fish keep feeding on the young?

I guess I should have stuck with "nevermind". You all have your opinions and it's good the speak them. I'm just sharing mine. I guess it's just "been there, done that" Thanks for listening. :cool:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back