Largest in-person crowd in drag racing history (2 Viewers)

Mike

Nitro Member
Does anyone have thoughts about when, where, and how many in attendance for the largest crowd in drag racing history?

Does anyone have thoughts about when, where, and how many in attendance for the largest crowd in drag racing history?

Good question. Since NHRA never releases or discusses attendance figures, I'd wager that for a one-day event it would be either Chicago or Charlotte, since they have newer facilities with obviously much more seating. For an entire event, I'd say those two would have an advantage as well, also Indy any given year since it's so many days.

I read that in 1972, when National Trail hosted the SpringNationals for the first time, they had 40k there on Sunday and countless people turned away at the gate since it was sold out.

Sadly it does seem attendance the past few years, at least at the events we've been to, on Sundays (Monday at Indy), the crowds are down some. But I will say that Sunday at Norwalk this year did seem to have more folks in the seats than past years.

that's a good question......for one day only, i'd have to guess somewhere in the past. what about the nitro olympics at hockenheim?

Last edited:
One day, after a bunch of major delays..... a race I won't forget. Check out the crowd estimates....
FORCE WINS KEYSTONE NATIONAL TITLE
September 17, 1990 at 4:00 a.m.

Would you have wagered a substantial sum that funny car pilot John Force could win his seventh Winston Drag Series event of the season, better his cross-lane competition for the second time in as many meetings, and wrap up his second consecutive Sunoco Keystone Nationals dragster title yesterday at Maple Grove Raceway?

The odds had to to be stacked pretty high against a three-peat for the 41-year-old Yorba Linda, Calif., driver, but in 1990, the “Force is with him.”

Last night, in the Sunoco Keystone Nationals delayed for nearly five hours because of rain and a wet track, Force drove his Castrol GTX Olds Cutlass to a final round victory over Mark Oswald of Cincinnati in 5.331 seconds or 271.32 miles per hour to continue a winning streak that has set the National Hot Rod Association on its ear. Force pocketed $25,000 for his 12th career win.

Force remains unbeaten in final round competition this year, having reached and won seven. He has also reached the finals in two specialty races this season, making him nine for nine in ’90.

Force was one of three top qualifiers to win yesterday as Gary Ormsby took the Top Fuel category and Darrell Alderman won the Pro Stock.

The seven Winston Series wins ties the 1976 seasonal mark of Don “The Snake” Prudhomme.

Force also bettered Oswald back in June during the Le Grandnational in Canada. Force finished second to Oswald in the 1987 Sunoco Nationals.

Ormsby, the NHRA Winston Series Top Fuel defending champ, took his Castrol GTX machine (294.97 mph) to his sixth victory of the season by thumping Gene Snow. It was the driver’s first Keystone title and also worth $25,000.

Alderman, an Illinois native, powered his Dodge Daytona (188.36 mph) to his third win of the 1990 calender in five tries by bettering defending Winston NHRA Pro Stock champ Bob Glidden.

Joe Amato of Old Forge burned an exhaust valve in his semifinal run and had to retire for the day. He has never won a top fuel race at Maple Grove.

Yesterday’s show, despite the rain and long wait, was run in front of a record crowd at Maple Grove. For the second time in as many years, a best-ever audience of 48,000 was on hand to see the drag racing event. The weekend attendance was also estimated at 88,000, up from 76,000 a year ago.

Even with the rain, few of the near 50,000 in the stands left before the final race was run and the skies opened again as the top three categories were completed.

One day? I would guess the 1965 Winternationals, it rained Friday and Saturday. It turned into a one-day
wonder on Sunday, I believe they had over 60,000 fans on Sunday and if I remember right, and that's
a big if! They opened the gates at Midnight on Saturday and by 4am the place was almost "Filled to the brim"

Last edited:
I believe the Texas Motorplex hosted 30,000+ fans on Sunday at its inaugural 1986 race. I know it was so crowded you couldn't drive a 10-penny nail between the people wandering around in the pit area. It was a looooooong race day, one that Big Daddy finally won in spite of Darrell Gwynn setting all the records. I've attended all but two national events there; we prefer Friday in order to see the evening qualifying. It's always fun to take a newbie to see the flames and hear the whacks.

I don't think you mean NHRA only event or national event.

Night of Fire in Norwalk regularly bills itself as the biggest one-day race. Maybe it's just marketing but most years the place is packed and Bader puts on an great show. Hoping to make it down this weekend for it.

Don’t know the numbers but many of my years at Norwalk the stands are shoulder to shoulder(guy next to me bought two seats for himself every year) and the fence 3 or 4 deep.

I am a veteran attendee of the Indy 500, but when it comes to the Biggest drag as far as attendance is concerned I have been to was Norwalk's night of fire I went to a couple of years ago.

Gainesville has the most seats.
And let's not forget how many times they've shut down because they've reached capacity (I speak from experience). It's popular race due to being schedule around the Daytona 500.

I believe the Texas Motorplex hosted 30,000+ fans on Sunday at its inaugural 1986 race. I know it was so crowded you couldn't drive a 10-penny nail between the people wandering around in the pit area. It was a looooooong race day, one that Big Daddy finally won in spite of Darrell Gwynn setting all the records. I've attended all but two national events there; we prefer Friday in order to see the evening qualifying. It's always fun to take a newbie to see the flames and hear the whacks.
Do you have any pictures from 1988?

don't know about seats at indy, especially before the bleachers were replaced on east side, but last night had an nhra race pop up on
youtube, the 2005 nationals. ........ stands were packed both sides, west side was the new bleachers with suites on top, and the car counts were unbelievable.
(27) TF ...... (25) FC ..... (34) PS ..... (29) PSB ...... it's hard to believe that was 19 years ago already. seems like yesterday.

I don't know the answer but I can tell you the most people I've ever seen at a racetrack. The 2008 ADRL race in Baytown by far. They had to shut the gates and not allow anymore people in. They ran out of almost everything. Traffic was backed up miles and miles. I've been to almost every national event at Baytown and Ennis thru the years and none of them came close to that day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back