Langdon fired-up about Phoenix drag race (1 Viewer)

PHOENIX (Feb. 17) -- A successful drag racing season is often measured with small steps and small victories that take place along the way during the 10-month-long season.

Heading into this weekend's 26th annual Arizona NHRA Nationals, Shawn Langdon, sophomore driver of the Lucas Oil/Speedco dragster Top Fuel dragster, has been happy with his progress so far, even there's just been one race to date.

Langdon made it to the quarterfinal round of last weekend's season-opening 50th annual Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals, and he said he left historic Auto Club Raceway in Pomona with a positive feeling about his John Stewart-led group.

"We have the capabilities to run with anyone and at the same time we don't want to beat ourselves and give things away," Langdon said. "I think we showed everyone we are for real in Pomona. The car ran well, we qualified in the top half of the field, and I was first off the line both races on Sunday. The best thing was we didn't make any mistakes. We just got beat by a better car.

"We made progress from one year ago, we're already in the top five in points, and we're looking forward to a solid run in the Lucas Oil/Speedco dragster this weekend in Phoenix. I fully expect for that to happen."

Firebird Internationals Raceway holds a special place in Langdon's heart; it's where he earned his Top Fuel license 12 months ago.

"Phoenix is the place where my Top Fuel dream started," said Langdon, a three-time world champion in the junior and sportsman ranks. "I look back and think of how far I've come since getting my license. Wow, it's been a heckuva year. Saying it now, it seems like the last 12 months have just flown by in the blink of an eye. It's been crazy.

"I'm excited to get back to the track. I just love drag racing. I'd go every weekend if we could. The car is running well against the top teams and my crew is really working hard. I think we've got real good chance to make a deep run this weekend."

The Arizona NHRA Nationals run from Friday-Sunday at Firebird International Raceway.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back