Langdon an intriguing bet, Lucas a longshot, in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]LAS VEGAS (Oct. 31) -- Team Lucas racers Shawn Langdon and Morgan Lucas will both race for the Top Fuel title of the ninth annual Las Vegas NHRA Nationals, although local sports books will most likely post very different odds for the two drag racers.

Rookie-of-the-year candidate Langdon will certainly be one of the favorites after posting an impressive string of four 3.8-second passes in his Lucas Oil/Dixie Chopper dragster. Aside from his 3.855 at 313.29 mph, which placed him seventh on the grid, Langdon also posted two 3.87s and a 3.88 in qualifying, proving he has one of the most consistent cars in the class.

"We got our racecar back," Langdon said. "To run four great passes like that gives you so much confidence. You know you've got a racecar that is running well and the team in the other lane knows you're most likely going from A-to-B so that plays into your favor also. I might just have to place a bet on myself when I get back to the Palms."

Langdon will open eliminations against No. 10 qualifier Spencer Massey, who clicked off a 3.864 at 313.66 mph. Langdon has dropped both of his previous races with Massey.

On the other end of the spectrum from Langdon, team owner/driver Lucas has made only one full pass down the strip in his GEICO Powersports/Lucas Oil dragster and it was labored as his engine was running on just seven cylinders for most of the 1,000-foot course. His 3.978 at 298.01 mph left him in the 16th and final spot and sets up a first-round match-up with top qualifier Larry Dixon (3.805 at 318.24 mph), who he's beaten two times in five meetings this season.

"We're having some problems but we're still going to charge into race day and do everything we can to beat Larry and whoever else so we can win another race," Lucas said. "The way this car is capable of running, we've already shown we can beat anyone. We might be a really good sleeper pick.

"I know Larry is right there fighting for the championship so he'll be ready to go but these guys on this GEICO team know how to make this dragster run so we'll just hope our little issues are behind us, keep a positive attitude, and race."

Eliminations begin at 11 a.m.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back