Lamb Components dual caliper carbon brakes (1 Viewer)

backattack

Nitro Member
Lamb Components dual caliper ( per side) carbon brakes

I just wanted to pass along some information I just received yesterday regarding braking systems now available. They may have been out longer, I dont know.

Apparently Lamb Components has recently developed ( Nov 2009) a dual caliper carbon brake setup ( per side) with a rotor that appears to be almost an inch thick as compared to roughly 3/8" on the traditional setup we've all seen on alcohol and fuel cars. Ive seen the pictures of this setup and they are definitely a step in the right direction.

They are a bit pricey ( around 10k) but in light of what has just happened to our dear friend Mark, I felt it was imperative to pass along this info about these brakes. No amount of money is worth losing a dear friend and Ive lost plenty enough already.

And yes I do realize there were likely many contributing factors and possibly the brakes were only one part of this tragedy. So please receive this info as intended and that is to offer my fellow racers an option to improve their odds of survival should a chute failure occur.

I am hopeful many positive changes in the name of safety will arise from this moment and the braking system is only 1 element of better driver safety which I am all for.

Alan Bradshaw

Last edited:
You would think that at least up front improved brakes would work to slow the car significantly (at speed while there is still downforce). How do you keep the car from bouncing once the speed drops though?

How long after crossing the line does a driver hit the brakes? Does he wait for the chutes to slow the car down for while first?

It is my personal opinion that a driver should always be in panic stop mode until he know's that everything is working properly. If the chutes are late or don't open he is already on the brakes as hard as he can and has not wasted any shutoff area.

Last edited:
Thanks, Alan. We have Lamb carbons and it stops on a Mercury Dime. I don't even know why there would need to be a rule requiring them. No brainer.

I saw Shelly Anderson run 298 at Pomona (700' shorter than Seattle) back during her abbreviated top fuel career and when 1,320 was the finish line. The chutes never opened and she was still able to make the turn with carbon rear brakes. A little fast but not out of control. Brad is tight with the Lamb's so I'm sure it was their product on the car. Whatever the cost they paid for themselves on that one run.

RG

How long after crossing the line does a driver hit the brakes? Does he wait for the chutes to slow the car down for while first?

A lot depends on when the driver throws the chutes. As you notice a lot of P/S racers drop the load before the line. There are other things to remember, like pushing in the clutch or going to neutral, etc. Depends on the car and the class they run. Some drop just at or after the line. Some racers do what is called "drving into the chutes", which is throwing the chutes while still in the throttle. Then lift and begin to apply the brakes. Not sure what Hawley or other instructors teach in the classes, but I'm sure each driver does it a little differently.

Personally at 160-170 I don't need the chute on each run. I have thrown the chutes late 1-2 times when I went to the brakes a little to hard at the lites and the car began to bounce a little...I let the chutes catch it and I let it roll out further to keep control of the car. (my car is solid, no suspension) Just my 2 cents.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back