Kalitta ready for some redemption in Gainesville (1 Viewer)

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (March 14, 2013) - Doug Kalitta, a 48-year old resident of Ann Arbor, Mich., is the driver of the Mac Tools Top Fuel Dragster. Kalitta added to his already legendary career in the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series’ last event in Phoenix, and this weekend looks to take on the NHRA Gatornationals at the NHRA Raceway at Gainesville, Fla.

Kalitta had a historic weekend in Phoenix, site of the NHRA Arizona Nationals. He earned six bonus points in qualifying, and earned most of those on a blistering pass in the final qualifying session that allowed him to claim his 33rd career No. 1 qualifying position. The 3.733-second pass at 329.02 mph set both ends of the track record and gave him the eighth best pass in NHRA history. Although he qualified No. 1, his matchup in round one was a formidable one in Don Schumacher Racing’s Spencer Massey. Massey knew he had to go at the starting line to have a chance to beat Kalitta, and unfortunately he was able to get by him in the early round.

Although that was not the result the Mac Tools team was looking for, Kalitta and the crew remained solidly in the top ten in points flipping positions with teammate David Grubnic and starting Gainesville in the seventh position. Kalitta has been very successful in Gainesville. He qualified No. 1 in 2003, and raced to pick up the Wally trophy in 2000 and 2005.

“I always look forward to the Gators,” said Kalitta. “My Mac Tools guys, led by Jim O (Oberhofer) and Troy (Fasching) really have my car running well. I am looking forward to another great qualifying effort and hopefully four rounds on Sunday!”

Kalitta has amassed 32 NHRA Top Fuel title trophies in 64 final-round appearances. He has finished in the top ten in Full Throttle championship points in every season of his 16-year straight-line career. He was the 1994 USAC National Sprint Car champion.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back