Junior Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

I like it. Sounds neat. Stock looking body without a hood scoop instead of these morphed egg shaped things they are running now. They ought to limit them to a 12 or 14 inch wide tire too. Only thing I'm not too sure I like is the small block limit.

NHRA had plans for that many moons ago. They dropped it, then it came back up in discussions and became pro stock truck.
I worry about the traction control issues that will arise with computer controlled injection, and engine management.
But sure would be a cool class.

and does ihra think this will raise the titanic. if so i see the ship sink into the depths even faster than it already is. factory hot rod bombed back in the 90's and pro stock truck caused way more trouble for nhra than it was worth. do people really want to watch mid 7 second heads up racing sandwiched in between top fuel and pro mod? i seriously doubt it.

NHRA had plans for that many moons ago. They dropped it, then it came back up in discussions and became pro stock truck.
I worry about the traction control issues that will arise with computer controlled injection, and engine management.
But sure would be a cool class.

I think they should encourage it... let the technology, engineering, and ingenuity of the current day run wild. While they're at it they should allow different engine combinations as well... you know, like Hemi vs. LS vs. Modular but that apparently isn't part of the plan. Appears to be a spec head is on tap for the class.

This is a bad idea if they are entertaining it. Will never happen in today's climate. Has anyone checked the car count lately in comp? Will not work for reasons I could list but won't.

This is a bad idea if they are entertaining it. Will never happen in today's climate. Has anyone checked the car count lately in comp? Will not work for reasons I could list but won't.
IHRA is definitely entertaining the idea and with a great degree of seriousness. Please... list your reasons.

I think the idea has some merit as long as the cars remain competly stock appearing and launch like a SS/A ! :D

Who's going to jump into this experiment? What do you think the current MM PS drivers will think? Doing this now is just bad timing.

The reasons that I see that this is bad timing for this idea is three fold;
1) The class will be run off of factory backing for body designs, engine combinations, etc. And the facories are cutting back as much as possible right now. Do we think they are going to get behind this while cutting out of both sanctioning bodies pro stock and nascar?
2) With the current economic platform, there will not be a lot of individuals with the spendable money to jump to a new class such as this.
3) After pro stock truck, there are quite a few that are worried about jumping to a new class that may not have a lasting future.

There is rumor that this is a done deal. The class is supposedly to run as spec pushrod motors with EFI. I still find this hard to believe,but nevertheless.

Last edited:
There is rumor that this is a done deal. The class is supposedly to run as spec pushrod motors with EFI. I still find this hard to believe,but nevertheless.
They're saying spec heads, not a spec motor. Here's a post from another board from Taylor Lastor of TRE racing engines concerning this subjest:

Ive talked to the money man and motivation in this deal and also the IHRA today and its a real deal, I think everyone will be able to see the rules and layout by next week. I think its a great place for guys who cannot afford NHRA pro stock to run who want to run heads up racing. The head deal is only spec as far as one design base head, you can port it however youd like and do alot with it from there. The way the engine rules read it will keep it from ever being as expensive as Pro Stock is now, and there is plenty of flexibility to improve on parts and to build the engine the way you want to build your combination. I think as long as we get some kind of parameters on the EFI system where it is not totally unlimited on EFI getting a spec box or brand, the costs will be similar to running Comp. The engine will be the same for all bodies, and there is no "template" body rules, but discretion will be final on bodies by IHRA. It seems nostalgia bodies are going to be legal, I think thats great for fan support. If they can get the fans behind this deal, it may have a good chance to fly. No matter what it needs a fan following with some type of nitch to get them invloved. Creating a Small Block Pro Stock website, with every driver having Facebook (currently over 110,000,000 members and growing by 20,000 a week, is great exposure) or similar type blogs for info, updates and results. Keeping people interested in what we are doing will get this thing big quickly. We placed orders for cranks and other hard to get parts today in preperation. After doing the Pro Stock Truck deal and finishing in the top five the final season, we learned a few things. Data between another team, staying between us only is unbeatable, TRE would like to align our engine shop/race team with another highly motivated to win race team for this deal. Ten customers running your engines wont get you to the top, to much time elapses to keep everyones stuff top notch. But a couple like minded racers will dominate much as Anderson has done we think. If anyones interested please give us a call, and lets hope this class takes off!! TRE 281-593-1440

The reasons that I see that this is bad timing for this idea is three fold;
1) The class will be run off of factory backing for body designs, engine combinations, etc. And the facories are cutting back as much as possible right now. Do we think they are going to get behind this while cutting out of both sanctioning bodies pro stock and nascar?
2) With the current economic platform, there will not be a lot of individuals with the spendable money to jump to a new class such as this.
3) After pro stock truck, there are quite a few that are worried about jumping to a new class that may not have a lasting future.

You are right on all three reasons. Your second reason the strongest, thats why car count is down in Comp, and probably SS next. Indy will be strong but that probably the only one.

They're saying spec heads, not a spec motor. Here's a post from another board from Taylor Lastor of TRE racing engines concerning this subjest:

Doesn't Taylor say "the engine will be the same for all bodies" That sounds like one GM style block with one other supplier for the SBC style head.:confused: So you end up with Ford, Mopar or GM chassis Comp car with a 355 EFI SBC/hybrid? Sounds like a cross between B/A and Australian Pro Stock with EFI.
I can't see how this is going to be on par with Comp Elim car costs.

Last edited:
IHRA had a Jr. Pro Stock class back in the 80's. As I recall a lot of NHRA */EA cars could/did/try to run the class. I think it was single 4 bbl carb with automatic trans. with the same cu in/wt as a C/EA or close to it. It didn't last long. This will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back