Johnson Holds Grip on No. 6 Spot Heading into Eliminations at NHRA Las Vegas National (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Las Vegas, Nev. (Oct. 31, 2009) – Team Mopar® NHRA Full Throttle Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson maintained his No. 6 position after the final two sessions of qualifying today at the NHRA Las Vegas Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Johnson will face off with No. 11 qualifier Jeg Coughlin in eliminations tomorrow.

Johnson’s Mopar HEMI®-powered Dodge lost power shortly after take-off during the first qualifying session today, and the Team Mopar veteran’s final qualifying run resulted in a 6.739-second/204.29 mph pass. The Mopar/J&J Racing Dodge Stratus R/T driver’s qualifying run yesterday of 6.679/206.61 was good enough to hold the No. 6 spot, as warmer temperatures today contributed to no movement in the Pro Stock top twelve qualifiers.

The berth in the top half of the Pro Stock field was a welcome rebound for Johnson after suffering a hard-luck Did Not Qualify (DNQ) at the previous NHRA event in Richmond.

“After Richmond, to be No. 6 is encouraging,” said Johnson. “But we still haven’t made a good run at this event yet. I’m not happy with our performance.”

Johnson will square off with 2008 Pro Stock champ Coughlin in the first round.

“He’s always tough,” said Johnson of Coughlin. “But if I can go up there and do my job, and the car can do its job, we can beat him, just like anybody else out there. We’ve got to get on our game here.”

Vinnie Deceglie, competing with a Mopar HEMI engine prepped by Allen Johnson’s father and J&J Racing engine builder Roy Johnson, secured the No. 2 spot, a career best start. Deceglie will face No. 15 qualifier and fellow Mopar-powered driver Rickie Jones.

“It’s great for those guys,” said Allen Johnson of Deceglie and his team. “They work hard. If Vinnie gets on his game, he can go some rounds. It just shows what great work Dad is doing with our HEMI engines.”

Mopar-fueled driver Larry Morgan (No. 8 qualifier) will battle Jason Line in the opening stanza, while Johnny Gray (No. 5 qualifier) will match his Mopar HEMI-powered Dodge against Greg Stanfield.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back