Jim McKay gone (1 Viewer)

murf

Nitro Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad News - Jim McKay: Jim McKay, 86, a longtime television sports journalist, has died of natural causes in Maryland, according to a statement from the McKay family. McKay is best known for hosting "ABC's Wide World of Sports" and 12 Olympic Games. McKay won numerous awards for journalism, including the George Polk Memorial Award and two Emmys -- one for his sports coverage, the other for his news reporting -- for his work at the 1972 Munich Olympics, which were tragically affected by the Black September terrorists' attack on the Israeli athletes in the Olympic Village. In 1988, McKay was inducted into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame. In 1968, McKay won the first of his 13 Emmy Awards, becoming the first sports commentator to receive that honor. McKay was the first American network sports commentator to visit mainland China. In 1991, he visited Cuba to interview Fidel Castro. McKay was with "ABC's Wide World of Sports" since its inception in April 1961. Jim McManus (McKay's real name) was born in Philadelphia on September 24, 1921, and moved to Baltimore when he was 15.(ESPN.com)(6-7-2008)

This is sad news. I remember being a kid growing up in So Cal, watching Wide World of Sports with my Dad, and also Jim Mckay hosting the NHRA Drag Racing coverage on ABC, as well as his coverage of the INDY 500 and many olympic games!

God Speed Mr. McManus!

McKay was a fixture among the finest of broadcasters in all of sports. I'll probably remember "The agony of defeat" as much as his thousands of memorable broadcasts. You know, I'll bet even he had his Paul Page moments and one day, our kids will remember Paul Page as one of the motorsport greats. Hopefully they won't be reading historical Mater entries to spoil it?

Thanks for the memories Jim!

Jim was a legend in sports reporting and I always loved hearing his voice as a kid when Wide World of Sports came on the tube. RIP, Jim. :(

Bobby, I agree with you about Paul Page. I don't know why he gets on the nerves of some people here so badly. He's not perfect, nobody is, but I regard him as a legend of motorsports broadcasting. Even now when I hear his voice it brings back memories of the Indy 500 broadcasts.

I grew up with Jim McKay.

I will miss him..they don't make 'em like that anymore.

He was also the original host for "The American Sportsman"....man, I miss that show. There were some classic get togethers on that thing. RIP Jim.

Late.............Mitch

After giving this more thought.

There are just a few announcers that touch a chord..I'm not sure if any up and coming announcers have that ability..I hope so for the younger crowd.

For me..there was really only ABC growing up..CBS had the football thing..which is another story. Wide World, American Sportsman was basically the deal. Jim McKay was the master of all of them.

From The agony of da' feet..hehe to the tragedy at the Olympic Games in Munich..Jim was the Man. I'll never forget sitting at the TV watching in '72..waiting for some explanation..and Jim McKay provided it. Came on looking all frazzled and did his best to explain the unexplainable.

Just a few people can be that way (to me). Dave Mac is one..walking into a National event and hearing him on the PA...comfort. Steve Evans..hearing him anywhere..comfort.

RIP Jim KcKay

For me, his defining moment was transcending sports to news with a simple sentence he had to communicate to us all from the 1972 Olympic games in Munich.

“They’re all gone".

While we all cried, he had to remain composed and stoic best he could.

Last edited:
Jim McKay was a class act through and through. When you think of ABC WWoS that is the only voice you hear. It was indeed a pleasure to listen to Mr. McKay.

Rest in peace sir!

He was the voice of the Wide World of Sports!
He was the narrator of a hunting show I loved to watch I forget the name of the show.
This is very sad news indeed!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back