Jim Epler / first 300mph F/C on Jeopardy! (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
i'm sitting here browsing the 'mater with jeopardy on and a question comes up - jim epler became the first over 300mph in this type of drag racing car?

what is a funny car. yes one guy got it immediately....I 'm rooting for him now to win the game...

they showed a picture of the rug doctor car while the question was being asked....very cool

Man, I love that show.... Usually any drag racing answers they give have the word "Shirley" in the question...:D ... Good to see them spread out a bit. Maybe for next XMas, I'll send Trebeck a copy of Post's book! :p

It was a magical and historic weekend at Heartland Park Topeka...the first 4-second flopper and first 300 mph pass happened that weekend. I forget the exact year.

That was the same track that held Gary Ormsby's 4.88 as the top pass for quite some time. The main road in is named 'Gary Ormsby Drive'. In it's day, Topeka was THE track.

It was a magical and historic weekend at Heartland Park Topeka...the first 4-second flopper and first 300 mph pass happened that weekend. I forget the exact year.

That was the same track that held Gary Ormsby's 4.88 as the top pass for quite some time. The main road in is named 'Gary Ormsby Drive'. In it's day, Topeka was THE track.

1993 i believe....i was but a wee little one...7 years old in fact

i'm sitting here browsing the 'mater with jeopardy on and a question comes up - jim epler became the first over 300mph in this type of drag racing car?

what is a funny car. yes one guy got it immediately....I 'm rooting for him now to win the game...

they showed a picture of the rug doctor car while the question was being asked....very cool

the picture being the key element in his knowing the answer.
love that jeopardy show.

I saw that last night too. It's always exciting to know one of the $2,000 questions in Double Jeopardy.

Last edited:
And who was the first FC in the 4's at that Topeka race? I have the framed autographed hero card right here on my office wall.. No cheating.... :D

That day was abit of an embarrisment for john force who before they started racing on the day had offered to give $25,000 to the first funny car into the 4's thinking he would be the first , then when it went to run his front left brake caliper broke and locked up the wheel . Coil had to shut the car off then etchells did his run and went 4.987 right afterwards taking the cash .

That day was abit of an embarrisment for john force who before they started racing on the day had offered to give $25,000 to the first funny car into the 4's thinking he would be the first , then when it went to run his front left brake caliper broke and locked up the wheel . Coil had to shut the car off then etchells did his run and went 4.987 right afterwards taking the cash .

William...you are sooo right! The bounty John put up, as the ultimate showman, wound up with Etchells in a starting line presentation on Sunday morning of that event. It was some really cool drama waiting for the big numbers that weekend. We all knew it would happen...back then the track was as good as any in the country, and the weather was perfect. It was cool watching history develop.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back