JFR Yellow Chutes - safety step? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
I remember seeing JFR cars with one standard chute and one yellow one a few weeks ago. Believe there was a mention that they were testing a new fire resistant (Nomex?) unit from Bill Simpson. Robert had two yellow ones today.
Is JFR quietly doing something else to improve safety
- instead of NHRA . . again?

Hight was the first to test them in Denver, and Neff had one soon after. Now a lot of teams have them that I see, but most use 1 and 1. I think Hight is the only one going dual yellow.

Its interesting to note that JFR has gone to using IMPACT safety gear instead of SIMPSON , I know both companies were started by the same person but I still find it interesting.

Bill Simpson sold the company with his name, then started Impact. (The story's more complicated than that, but...) Many of the teams have loyalty to Bill and followed him.

Its interesting to note that JFR has gone to using IMPACT safety gear instead of SIMPSON , I know both companies were started by the same person but I still find it interesting.

A lot of people ditched Simpson and went with Impact when Bill started it up. I went with them immediately for the stuff I needed to replace at the time. He was doing great deals on belt re-webbing, etc. This was all direct fallout from the Dale Earnardt accident when NASCAR and The Simpson Co. threw him under the bus for things he had nothing to do with. Bill is a standup guy and his best revenge was to keep quiet, start a new company, and kick their @$$. Which he is doing.

The yellow chutes are kevlar. They are much more resistant to fire. They may become mandatory at some point, but right now they are being tested by a number of teams.

Alan

if you look at the chutes.....about the first 5 feet of shroud lines are wrapped in a silver ballistic covering that is flame retardant

earlier this year i caught my fuel altered on fire and it burnt everything canpoy and ropes (theres a real name for them i like ropes). all that was left was a pile of melted hard fabric and a spring. but let me tell you from the fire fighter side of things nothing is fire proof everything will burn at there only timing. the bunker gear a fire fighter wears starts smoking and then flashes. even the air packs say on them dont expose to heat or flames. look at the space shuttle it still burns off alittle on re-entry. all im trying to say is you can make things safe but you will still have problem and its something every driver knows climbing in the car. you just can slow issuses down and hope to not have to use it.

earlier this year i caught my fuel altered on fire and it burnt everything canpoy and ropes (theres a real name for them i like ropes). all that was left was a pile of melted hard fabric and a spring. but let me tell you from the fire fighter side of things nothing is fire proof everything will burn at there only timing. the bunker gear a fire fighter wears starts smoking and then flashes. even the air packs say on them dont expose to heat or flames. look at the space shuttle it still burns off alittle on re-entry. all im trying to say is you can make things safe but you will still have problem and its something every driver knows climbing in the car. you just can slow issuses down and hope to not have to use it.

Absolutely correct. But a few seconds of delaying combustion could make a huge difference. When we were discussing how to slow cars down, Joe made a point that we weren't addressing stopping issues. If this works, it could eliminate one problem. Next - better braking?

im not saying better brakes are bad but the problem is if you mess with them to much they can be to touchy and you could lock them up on accident other times running. that could cause other issues i do know one thing when you are running and you throw 2 chutes and you dont feel them pop you start grabbing awhole lot of break real fast

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back