JFR NHRA Qualifying Report: Courtney Force Qualifies #3 (1 Viewer)

CHANDLER, Ariz. (February 22, 2013) – Coming off a victory at the O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals last weekend, Courtney Force continued her success today at the 29th annual NHRA Arizona Nationals at Firebird Raceway. Force finished the day strong and settled into No. 3 spot. Being the current Mello Yello points leader in the Funny Car category, the 24-year-old ran her first qualifying session of the weekend in the last pair of Funny Cars alongside Ron Capps. Force’s Traxxas Ford Mustang put down too much power and shook at about 100 feet off the starting line.

“Coming out here to Phoenix we knew we had a fresh start to work with including new challenges that come with a different track than what we won on last weekend. We couldn’t get down the race track on the first pass. I think we may have had it on over-kill. It’s a different track and the weather conditions are really different over here. It’s a lot for our team to adjust to. Our Traxxas Ford Mustang just shook really hard and blew the tires off,” said Force.

In the second qualifying session, Force made a near-perfect pass and shot right to the top of the field. She posted a 4.064 ET at 315.71 mph, a track speed record and picked up a bonus point for qualifying No. 3 for the day.

“We fixed our car and on the second pass we got it going straight on down there. We went to the top spot and even managed to run the track speed record at over 315 mph. Then, the temperature started to cool down and the cars started to run quicker. We’re happy with a 4.06. It’s a great way to start the weekend and tomorrow we’re just going to try to build on that good run,” said Force.

Robert Hight and the Auto Club Ford Mustang made progress but not the major performance advances the team was looking for. The 2012 Arizona Nationals winner has the No. 9 provisional time, 4.321 seconds a scant one one-thousandth of a second quicker than 2012 Funny Car champion Jack Beckman. Hight will be positioned to move up the qualified field tomorrow with two sessions scheduled.

The winningest Funny Car driver in Firebird International Raceway, eight-time winner John Force took out some timing cones on his second qualifying run and will start from the back of the pack on Saturday. Force’s Castrol GTX Ford Mustang was making a strong run when it drifted to the left and Force fought the 8,000 hp race car but it still swung the rear end across the centerline.

Force’s first qualifying session run of 6.120 seconds was the 17th quickest run of the day and he will have to step up to get a top sixteen time tomorrow.

In the Top Fuel ranks the Castrol EDGE dragster made two representative runs and going into Saturday rookie Brittany Force will have two chances to race into her second national event. On her second run of the day her dragster began pulling to the centerline and the rookie driver smartly lifted to slow the dragster down and avoid serious engine damage.

“This Castrol Edge dragster is leaving the starting line a little harder. You can really feel it pulling. The conditions here are really good. On the second run I was getting close to the centerline so I lifted. I didn’t want to take the chance and blow up this BOSS 500 motor or cross the centerline and not get a time. I am trying to do the smart thing out there. I am looking forward to my two runs tomorrow. I know Guido and Eric will give me a great race car,” said rookie Brittany Force.

THE DRIVERS

JOHN FORCE, 63, Castrol GTX Ford Mustang
Qualifying: 17th quickest at 6.120 seconds, 109.40 mph
Bonus Qualifying Points: 0

ROBERT HIGHT, 43, Auto Club of Southern California Ford Mustang
Qualifying: 9th at 4.321 at 219.58 mph

COURTNEY FORCE, 24, Traxxas Ford Mustang
Qualifying: 3rd at 4.064 seconds, 315.71 mph
Bonus Qualifying Points: +1 (third quickest of Q2)

BRITTANY FORCE, 26, Castrol EDGE Top Fuel Dragster
Qualifying: 14th quickest at 4.069, 223.54 mph

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back