JFR Finally Puts out a Release (1 Viewer)

Did I miss it in a post or is no one curious about how his hired staff is faring? Are they free to work elsewhere for the rest of the season? Are they SOL for pay?
I don’t see a big demand for crew/crewchiefs between now and the end of the year, which could be as soon as next weekend.

The one crew chief I would want in my organization from that group would be Jimmy Prock. I would imagine John would have some arrangement with his key people to make sure they don't leave.

I hate to spill grape juice on this thread, but I don't believe Force is coming back. While he's still more than capable of driving, at age 71 he has to realize what the stress of running JFR is doing to him....he's tougher than a boot but he's still human and nobody wants to find him slumped over his desk, the victim of a stroke.....we're talking 50 employees, tens of millions in annual expenses, constant dealing with trying to keep current sponsors and acquire new ones, as they themselves have been badly beaten by this virus and race-team sponsorship will be one of the first expenses on the chopping block. And Force doesn't have Schumacher's money; at $3M+ per car per year, he can't operate out of his own pocket for more than a handful of races.

There aren't enough words to express what John Force has done for our sport. Maybe it's just time.
I agree everything you said. But sometimes it's the adrenalin and the drive that keeps a person going.

The one crew chief I would want in my organization from that group would be Jimmy Prock. I would imagine John would have some arrangement with his key people to make sure they don't leave.

Ok. What about Mike Green? What about Grubnic? Jimmy Prock, it seems as Cunningham has been his right hand man for a good 5 years now. What about Hood? Ashley, Courtney, then John, he knows how to run a hell of a race car. I would say everyone is the bait right now and for knows he cannot let the sharks go for it. Maybe Danny Hood is more technically family, but Grubnic and especially Jimmy have shown zero hesistance in going anywhere. Mike Green has made a career out of the shuffle.

I hate to spill grape juice on this thread, but I don't believe Force is coming back. While he's still more than capable of driving, at age 71 he has to realize what the stress of running JFR is doing to him....he's tougher than a boot but he's still human and nobody wants to find him slumped over his desk, the victim of a stroke.....we're talking 50 employees, tens of millions in annual expenses, constant dealing with trying to keep current sponsors and acquire new ones, as they themselves have been badly beaten by this virus and race-team sponsorship will be one of the first expenses on the chopping block. And Force doesn't have Schumacher's money; at $3M+ per car per year, he can't operate out of his own pocket for more than a handful of races.

There aren't enough words to express what John Force has done for our sport. Maybe it's just time.

With Robert being president, he is supposed to do things like providing strong leadership for the company by working with the board and other executives to establish short and long-term goals, plans and strategies. They are responsible for presiding over the entire workforce and they will manage budgets and make sure resources are allocated properly.

Seems like that would take a lot of the stress & responsibility you think is on John and put it on Robert <shrug>

With Robert being president, he is supposed to do things like providing strong leadership for the company by working with the board and other executives to establish short and long-term goals, plans and strategies. They are responsible for presiding over the entire workforce and they will manage budgets and make sure resources are allocated properly.

Seems like that would take a lot of the stress & responsibility you think is on John and put it on Robert <shrug>
How do we know it’s not? Even after JFR’s statement, people are still speculating about what’s happening with that team. Things will unfold over time.

It‘s more important that John’s team comes back, if John retires from driving he will still be around as an owner, he will be a part of Drag Racing the rest of his life, in way or another. Doesn’t have to drive, the fans won’t leave.

John will be back as long as the sport is back. Wishing his whole organization stays safe, economically sound and the fans will be back no problem.

In her article she alludes to something I have been thinking about. For the remaining races on the schedule after this weekend, I can't envision any of them allowing a normal full grandstand. (Nor would I want to attend a race with a full grandstand given the current Covid situation.) So if the local authorities are only going to allow 25% capacity or something like that, how is that financially feasible for the NHRA and local track owners? If they had to cut purses further, how can that work for race teams financially. Atlanta and the U.S. Nationals are coming up soon. NHRA is going to have to make a decision/announcement about seating at those events. It wouldn't surprise me if they convert seating to general admission, give everyone who already has purchased tickets a refund or credit and limit capacity. Unfortunately, there is no reason to think the Covid situation is going to improve over the next several months so it's possible that there could be several more races at Indy to at least have some semblance of a season and to keep the costs down for the Brownsburg based teams. Some announcement on Atlanta and U.S. Nationals seating has to come soon.

In her article she alludes to something I have been thinking about. For the remaining races on the schedule after this weekend, I can't envision any of them allowing a normal full grandstand. (Nor would I want to attend a race with a full grandstand given the current Covid situation.) So if the local authorities are only going to allow 25% capacity or something like that, how is that financially feasible for the NHRA and local track owners? If they had to cut purses further, how can that work for race teams financially. Atlanta and the U.S. Nationals are coming up soon. NHRA is going to have to make a decision/announcement about seating at those events. It wouldn't surprise me if they convert seating to general admission, give everyone who already has purchased tickets a refund or credit and limit capacity. Unfortunately, there is no reason to think the Covid situation is going to improve over the next several months so it's possible that there could be several more races at Indy to at least have some semblance of a season and to keep the costs down for the Brownsburg based teams. Some announcement on Atlanta and U.S. Nationals seating has to come soon.

It's possible...but why quit in teams point of view if you have sponsorship for the year and they have said nothing otherwise? They are going to race. The track owners are in a different box than any of these teams. If NHRA ran the final 15 races at Indy, the teams are still going to be spending per pass the same as before and any staying late on Sunday gives back some of it. Not a team owner in the sport is qualifying for a race, running rd. 1 to 4, with anything near to even breaking even, even if the purses are decreased I feel that downside is already determined. NHRA and NASCAR, even NFL (really all sports) do not care if 1 person is in the audience, they are going to get it done. I feel the only ones really being immensely hurt by this are the track staff/owners and the NHRA itself. I at least would like to think if this was something they couldn't manage, even if all 17 races are at indy for this return, they would not have put it together.

Or 10 if you're KISS!

I hated KISS when I was a kid....because there were teen magazines all over the newstands I frequented for my SS&DI and hot rodding magazines ...with photos of them with their faces covered with cloth because they were out with no makeup on. How opposite could you get from my drag racing heroes?

NHRA gives sponsors 4 seconds of exposure for maybe 4 rounds so 16 seconds to win. Nascar gets 3 hours win or lose. The big money is drying up, Schumacher, Kalitta, and Force are old, kids don't even care about cars. Grudge racing, No Prep are hot. As long as there are 2 cars people will see who is faster. But the 3 million a year per car teams are history. IMO of course....

NHRA gives sponsors 4 seconds of exposure for maybe 4 rounds so 16 seconds to win. Nascar gets 3 hours win or lose. The big money is drying up, Schumacher, Kalitta, and Force are old, kids don't even care about cars. Grudge racing, No Prep are hot. As long as there are 2 cars people will see who is faster. But the 3 million a year per car teams are history. IMO of course....
Bob, everyone makes the same comparison, but unless you're a top 15 car, charging to the front or unfortunately in a wreck, NASCAR sponsors do not get significant airtime. Case in point, yesterday they raced the Daytona road course...who sponsored Corey LaJoie? I could only tell you because he had an ontrack mishap...most of the other sub-20th place drivers got no TV time or were even mentioned.

Bob, everyone makes the same comparison, but unless you're a top 15 car, charging to the front or unfortunately in a wreck, NASCAR sponsors do not get significant airtime. Case in point, yesterday they raced the Daytona road course...who sponsored Corey LaJoie? I could only tell you because he had an ontrack mishap...most of the other sub-20th place drivers got no TV time or were even mentioned.
I was going to bring up the same point. There are small associate sponsors on NASCAR cars that you will hardly ever see at all, and they are paying more than a major sponsor for a fuel car. And, it's not just 4 seconds of airtime for an NHRA car...Having said that, the entire advertising model has changed dramatically for ALL motorsports, and teams really have to adapt.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back