Jess Van Deventer's B/M Roadster DO YOU KNOW WHERE IT IS TODAY (1 Viewer)

sd racing museum

Nitro Member
I'm looking for the car Jess Van Deventer owned & drove to the 1962 NHRA point championship #502 B/M Roadster
Last I have found the car was owned & raced by the Farley Brother out of Camp Hill Penn in the North East
Car was #128 B/C in 1964 & 1965

Also looking for photos of the car at any point in it life that began in 1955 as a Blown A/M roadster till the at Paradise Mesa Drag Strip in San Diego

I can be contacted at [email protected]

tmp5C7D - Copy.jpg

Farley3.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, cool photos. That car was a looker. In the Lions footage, I recognize the red roadster in the far lane (who looks like he's winning) from old photos, but don't know who it was. The flagman is Joe Guiterrez, who was the NHRA starter. I think he did the Nationals in 1955, etc. Wonder whatever happened to him? I remember flag starters at San Fernando in 1961. Lotsa stories about how the drivers learned to "read" the flag starter, and how the starter was always trying to one-up the drivers. heh

In speaking with Jess, one year at the Gators, he told me the car was in Atlanta.

Mark , Thanks for the info.... will work that Atlanta angle ,who knows where it ended up,
I'm about 2008 to 2010 I talked to jess at a car show in San Diego , He said " It is was rotting in a field in Pennsylvania & the people that have it do not want to sell it,,

There is so much misinformation about this car , Jess claimed he personally built the car & I can prove that is not true,, This car was built by my father in 1955 , it was built for Jack McLenachen ( a Bean Bandit Member) . It was first raced with a straight 6 GMC motor at Paradise Mesa Drag Strip in San Diego , by 57 it had a Blown v8 chevy & was raced at Paradise Mesa , Santa Anna , Chandler AZ , Yuma & many other Sothern California & AZ tracks. Jess got the car in 1959 without a motor , Jess traded a light blue ford 5 window coupe for the #502 roadster , That 5 window Coupe became my moms daily driver ,, when McClenachen went into Army,,,

Not trying to take anything away for Jess , he busted his ass & drove the shit out of that car, But he did not build it.
The Farley Brothers got the car in 1963/64 when Jess got word his father was ill & he sold the car I rushed home ,,

BOB Thanks for sharing ,, I have seen the Lions video , photos # 1 3 4 , I have never seen before , Very Cool .
I have contacted the NITRO REVIVAL folks to get the article you shared edited . Its like so many other that claim Jess Personally built the car, That is not true , Jess built the engine that went into the car the car my father Terry Chenowth built in 1955 for Jack McClenichen ( a Bean Bandit ) , It first has a straight 6 GMC in it & then a Blown V8 Chevy raced as a A/M Roadster at paradise Mesa. McClenachen & Van deventer did some horse trading for the car without the blow Chevy v8 in it. At that time the car was 4 years old ,, Jess put his motor into the car & campaigned it as a B/M Roadster with NHRA for 3 years. Then sold it to the Farley Brother out of Camp Hill Pennsylvania

The Mooneyes car was the Creighton Hunter red car racing Jess in the video. So we know that car still exists.
I’m glad some of the pics were new for you. I just put stuff up and see what people remember.

Last edited:
The Mooneyes car was the Creighton Hunter red car racing Jess in the video. So we know that car still exists.
I’m glad some of the pics were new for you. I just put stuff up and see what people remember.

VERY KOOL , My interest being the Van Deventer car, I never looked close at the other car,, thanks

Is Jeff Arnett the son of Jauquin Arnett? Trivia: Emery Cook (Cook & Bedwell) married the sister of Jauquin, probably in 1950's.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back