J.R. Todd Seatle PreRace (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
J.R. TODD RACING

NEWEST TOP FUEL WINNER TODD LOOKING FORWARD TO SEATTLE

Rookie Top Fuel driver, J.R. Todd, has had a whirlwind week since winning the National Hot Rod Association NHRA MOPAR Mile-High Nationals last weekend in Denver. In only the ninth start of his rookie season, Todd won his first NHRA National Event driving Dexter Tuttle's Skull Shine sponsored entry. He also made some history, becoming the first African-American to win in Top Fuel competition.

"I never imagined in a million years that we'd be able to get a victory this soon," Todd said. "This is very gratifying for me, Dexter, crew chief Jimmy Walsh and the entire crew. And we’ve got to thank Evan (Knoll) for coming onboard, because the Torco/Skull Shine sponsorship has definitely helped make us more competitive. To be able to beat the World Champion (Tony Schumacher) in the final round was the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me. This gives both me and the team a lot of confidence and momentum going into this weekend's Schucks Auto Parts Nationals in Seattle."

For the 24 year-old, the media attention that came with the win has been quite an experience. "I really wasn't ready for all the attention this win has generated," Todd added. "Man, I've had to do literally dozens of interviews with local and national media and I've been wide-open since Sunday night. It was pretty cool to have one of my friends call to tell me he just saw me on CNN talking about being the first African-American to win a major motorsports event. I don't think of myself as a minority, I'm just a driver. I know that Melanie (Troxel) and Hillary (Will) have received a lot of attention being females in a male-dominated sport and the diversity aspect seems to come into play, but again, I'm just a 24 year-old kid who is living the dream."

Todd is looking forward to getting back to business at Seattle.
"Racing is what I do. The media is something I'll just have to learn to handle. But my real focus is on racing. My full concentration this weekend will be trying to conquer the tricky Seattle track and the high temperatures and hopefully we'll be able to do just that. If I have any hope of being named “Rookie of the Year”, I know that I’m going to have to win quite a few more rounds to have a chance at that title.”

TELEVISION:

Saturday, July 22, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise two hours of qualifying highlights at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, July 23, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise three hours of eliminations at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, July 23, ESPN2 and ESPN2 HD will televise NHRA 2Day, a 30-minute magazine show at 11:30 a.m. (ET).

Menards

What happened to Menards?

It dsoen't even look like it's an accociate any longer.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back