Interview with 2-Time Championship Crew Chief Todd Smith from 2012 (he would go on to win it with Beckman that year) (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Rat

Nitro Member
The following is from my out-of-print book. I own all rights. Enjoy.

Todd Smith has made quite a name for himself as a crew chief throughout his career and stays relevant for jobs for one reason; he knows how to run a competitive team. He not only knows how to run a successful program, he can do it if his employer runs a Top-Fuel Dragster or a Funny Car. Since 2000, he has played a huge hand in helping to keep teams contending for race wins, and not only for a top ten points finish, but for a top five points finish as we saw with teams such as Darrell Gwynn Racing and Kenny Bernstein Racing. 2012 he was given an opportunity that I would think honored him and scared that crap out of him; fill the shoes of Rahn Tobler and tune Jack Beckman to championship-contending performances. It only took him 5 races to win and the Funny Car is more than just competitive, it’s a championship contender; like most of Dragsters or Funny Cars that Todd Smith has tuned.

PK: What does it take to be a successful crew chief in this class?

TS: Good mechanical abilities, knowledge and understanding of all aspects of your car and how they relate to each other, attention to detail, lots of experience, good at math, common sense, and the one I like the most, the ability to make crucial decisions, on short notice, under extreme pressure and look for successful results.

PK: Do you race the track or the opponent?

TS: I do both. I look at what the track condition will allow us to run, then I look at how the other guys are running and I come up with a number and go with it. We got a target number we’ll just shoot for it.

PK: You certainly have proven you can make Jack Beckman a championship and race win contender in such a short time. Was it at all intimidating when Don Schumacher gave you the offer the fill Rahn’s void?

TS: Uh no, not intimidating, felt fortune for the opportunity.

PK: Can you take me through what you do as a crew chief prior to a run?

TS: I have a checklist of all the parts of the car that require tuning adjustments, I monitor weather and track conditions, and then continually build scenarios in my mind while adhering to my checklist. I communicate these final changes to my assistant and he in turn relays those to the crew. We watch the other cars in the session and decide on any last minute changes.

PK: Over the course of a weekend the goal is to make 8 passes down the strip. Outside of explosions and any major after run engine damage, what is the maximum expectancy of the parts you have to replace due to wear and what and when do you replace?

TS: We have stuff we call consumables that you’re gonna change either every run or every 4-6 runs depending on what it is. After the run these are all the things that come out of the car and go back in:

Blower belt – one run

Blower wear strips – 2-4 runs

Head gaskets – 2-3 runs

Pistons – 2-3 runs

Piston Rings – 1 run

Connecting rod – 4-8 runs

Connecting rod bearing – 1 run

Cylinder sleeves – 2-4 runs

Engine main bearings – 1 run

Crank shaft – 6-10 runs

Cylinder head service every run

Intake valves – 8-12 runs

Exhaust valves – 6-10 runs

Intake valve springs – 6-10 runs

Exhaust valve springs – 6 – 10 runs

Valve springs retainers – 10-15 runs

Spark plugs – 1 run

Engine oil change – every run

Clutch discs – 2 runs

Clutch floater plates – 1 run

Clutch pressure plates – flywheel facings – 10 runs

Rear differential gears and bearings – 3- 50 runs

Rear tires – 1-6 runs

Nitro – 20 gallons per run w/ warm-up

PK: What is the cost of 1 pass and what parts are needed?

TS: 8 to $12,000 a run and refer to the last question for detail.

PK: The price to race in the sport's top class keeps rising and has almost kept the independent team out of racing completely. What do you see for the reason the costs have skyrocketed and what would you do to put a cap on or decrease the costs making it friendlier to small budget teams?

TS: Raw materials for building parts and pieces have seen significant price increases in recent years along with time and effort to make all the parts. The overall cost of doing business has gone up in every aspect, stuff that we can’t control like insurance, fuel cost, and travel expenses. I just think it’s the evolution of our class, it’s a competitive class, and it just continually evolves. Everything gets more intense and you work harder at it and it costs more money to do.

PK: I have to say that I do admire how you race heads up all the time against your teammates with no funny business. Is there ever any influence on how you tune based on how your car is running?

TS: Every piece of consideration is up especially when you’re running one of your teammates, but ultimately I try and run as hard as the track will let me.

PK: Your talent puts you in a very elite class with only a handful of tuners who have been capable of running successful championship contending programs in Top-Fuel and Funny Car. Your career best in Funny Car is 4.065/318.62 in a 1000ft., and in Top-Fuel your best is a 4.463/332.10 mph in a quarter mile and a 3.784/321.27. What class do you personally feel you understand and/or enjoy more?

TS: As far as understanding I would have to say the Dragster simply from time and experience, but right now I’m enjoying the Funny Car more because of the challenges and a new situation. I first worked with Dragsters in 1987, but I really like the Funny Car right now. It’s nice to mix it up and do something different, you still apply the same process to tuning and stuff, but the numbers are different and the application is all different; but fun.

PK: Will you ever transition back to Top-Fuel and how much of a learning curve is it for you when you decide to switch classes?

TS: You never know what to expect in this business, each opportunity provides a set of circumstances and challenges of their own. I try to look at those opportunities as a learning experience and an avenue for more knowledge. As far as a learning curve between the classes, it really takes a couple races to get acclimated. If someone offers you a job you just look at it, the nice thing is if you can do both then you can be selective.

PK: How different is the frame of mind for a crew chief when you have a slow start that turns into almost overnight success in comparison to when you have a hard charging season from start to finish and what type of season do you find more welcoming to your habits?

TS: Having a good season from start to finish builds confidence as you go, usually means your off season was really productive; I prefer that type of season. However, if your season starts off slow and you are not achieving results you hope for, it can start to bother you if you let it. The key for me is I just always try to stay focused, focused and dedicated, whatever problem you have your gonna work through it, but ultimately you can’t ever give up.

PK: Do you feel that the sport is on a good path for the future ahead?

TS: I have my concerns. Generally I think, it’s seems as though America’s younger generation have become less interested in their cars. If we can spark and interest with cars, hot rodding, and ultimately drag racing, I think the sport will make it. I think it will continue to progress. My generation didn’t have so many things to get distracted and interested in. Now it’s like yea, cars are cool, but cell phones and computers and whatever else young people could get into.

PK: What are your feelings on the sport’s decision to move to 1000 feet?

TS: I believe it was a good decision. We have outrun some of the facilities on our circuit and something needed to be done in regards to that, it was the best and most economical solution at the time.

PK: If the sport was to return to 1320 feet, what steps would you take in slowing these cars down to make sure that a quarter mile return was a safe return?

TS: It’s such a tough question; the whole topic is so sensitive. It’s difficult to find a way to figure it out that’s gonna pass with everybody. No matter what we do, if we do something, because we’re going too fast somebody, somewhere is not gonna be on the right end of the stick.

PK: The move to 1000 feet turned back the clock on the incremental performance in Top-Fuel for a short time, but the E.T. record in 1000 feet is the quickest a dragster has been to 1000 feet in the history of the sport. Spencer Massey ran a 3.728 and could add up to being the first ever 4.3 second run. Saying that we will eventually hit 3.6 and 335 MPH in 1000 feet, is there any need for the NHRA to be concerned?

TS: Absolutely, they should always be concerned about safety and addressing those concerns at all facilities. Safety stuff should always take precedence with them and it does.

PK: The move to 1000 feet gave the sport an extra 320 foot window to slow down. If we stay the course with 1000 feet could the time ever come where the increase in performance for these cars ends up that they can begin to greatly diminish the extra 320 feet, thus drivers facing the same possibility of danger that they faced when it was 1320 feet?

TS: Yes I believe it is possible, but not likely. I believe our classes have been safer than they ever been and if the time came that we ever got to switch back I think our safety would be better than it is now. It’s always improving and getting better. Racing’s dangerous, accidents are always gonna happen, but we try to minimize them and we try to do that; drag racing has always done that always trying to make thing better and safer. If we had to go back, or if we progress where the last 320 feet don’t even matter anymore and we used up that buffer zone, I think some of the facilities are gonna have to improve and we’re just gonna have to improve safety.

PK: Have you had any aspirations to drive?

TS: Yes, when I first got into the business I really wanted to drive. My father (2-Time Competition Eliminator Champion Craig Smith) was a good driver and I just wanted to follow in his footsteps. The right situation just never came along and at that time I became more interested in what made the fuel cars run. I’m not built as a driver, not exactly 150 pounds.

PK: What programs do you run in-house?

TS: None at this time. I would like to run in-house any area, there all interesting to me. All the crew chiefs here have some area that they oversee, I’m sure something at some point will come up for me or when they need another hand. I’m just waiting to do it, I’ll go into any area, they all interest me.

PK: What is your favorite race track?

TS: Pomona. A lot of history there with my dad racing and when I first started tuning I was working for a guy on the west coast and we would always make the Pomona race. It was always a special race to me; my dad had won there years ago and I just kinda fell in love with the place. Now, I just like going there, luckily we go there twice a year.

PK: What is your favorite track in each nitro class?

TS: Pomona, both classes.

PK: What win and single run mean more to you than all the others?

TS: Atlanta 2004 Top-Fuel, it was with an independent team (Carrier Boyz and Cory McClenathan) and we won and that’s always hard to do when your lower funded or no funded to win a race. That’s the win that sticks out in my mind. The single run that means most to me is semifinals, 2009 Top-Fuel at the world finals. (There win over Larry Dixon gave Tony Schumacher the Championship)

PK: What are your private rides?

TS: 2011 Chevy Silverado pickup.

PK: You have worked as a Crew Chief and an Assistant Crew Chief in your career. What is the difference between the jobs of a Crew Chief and an Assistant Crew Chief?

TS: The crew chief thinks mostly about his car and tuning that car. He has to shoulder all the final decisions that pertain to his car and his operation. He talks directly with the assistant on all the projects to be completed. The assistant basically carries out all the duties of day to day operations with the crew as well of ordering a large majority of the parts needed. He also communicates with the crew chief about race car set up.

TS: Why can’t an Assistant Crew Chief hold a formal Co-Crew Chief Title? (Some teams such as DSR, makes a clear distinction that most Assistant Crew Chief’s, are never labeled a Co-Crew Chief)

TS: Some teams don’t have co-crew chiefs; like here you’re either an assistant or you’re a crew chief. Like Antron’s team are co-crew chiefs, and I don’t know the answer to that, Don might. When you got a crew chief and then an assistant and a crew it’s really easier because you can follow a chain of command; everything is delegated down. It’s easier when things go wrong, there’s only one person to blame. In some situations when two guys work together as co-crew chief’s, they thinking process my accentuate each other; one guy might be aggressive, one might be conservative one might be conservative and they meet somewhere in the middle.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back