Interesting Facebook Post from Tulsa Raceway Park (1 Viewer)

glofria

Nitro Member
The post is, "We would like to hear from our racers regarding TRP leaving NHRA and going to another Sanctioning body."

Tulsa Raceway Park
We worked over 2 years w NHRA to get a National event, no help from them or the State of Okla. They only wanted to make sure they had no chance to loose money. It was not a team effort. The fees for us to be NHRA are very high.
The Div race does not make money!!!! We need a double for it to make money.
We had to remove alcohol funny car and dragsters even get it close to making money. The safety and Tech is the best thing about Nhra other than that there’s no support from anyone in NHRA. No divisional meetings anymore no divisional banquets no education or help from corporate all they do is take.

Geez. I'm not in the racing industry, just a fan. So my opinions and thoughts don't mean much and I don't know anything about the backend of these deals from an NHRA standpoint.

But between this and VMP, from the outside looking in, it would seem NHRA needs to reevaluate some things. What those things are I have no idea. Just doesn't feel right or look good.

Everyone is flocking to the brand new WDRA group that seems to have grown out of the ownership change at the IHRA. In just a month or so, I think they have signed nearly 50 tracks. That is BIG, not a fluke deal. Something is going on with the IHRA and NHRA for them to hemorrhage tracks like that.

World Drag Racing Alliance

I know the NHRA has its faults, but unless I'm missing something, I don't see how a switch would help with the specific things they're complaining about. It's not like they'd be getting a national event with IHRA or WDRA, neither of which operates a national touring series. And how many more cars would a double pull in that it would turn an unprofitable event into a profitable one, especially since Tulsa isn't the biggest of facilities? Topeka can handle the crowds coming in from all over because its pit area is massive, but I don't see that being the case for Tulsa. I wonder what kind of car counts and how close to capacity they get for the single divisional.

Now seems like a risky time to make a move. Tracks have left IHRA in droves for the new WDRA, which is an upstart and carries all the uncertainty that comes with that. It's interesting to me that they haven't pulled in NHRA tracks yet, though.

A double divisional would double the entry fees coming to the track. At a double divisional, the car counts will be slightly higher because it cuts on travel expenses for most racers and get 2 grade points in one weekend. I heard in the past from a former track owner that there was not much money to be made at a divisional because of the fees you had to pay to have one. He said that he was lucky to break even or make a little money. Also what helped him out was that he had one of the most fan attended div. race.

The NHRA split with drag strips is the main reason that E'Town is no longer around, they make more money parking cars than hosting a NHRA National event.

It's time for NHRA to start offering something between a national event and a divisional that includes one or both nitro classes. Don't worry about PS, PSM or PM.
A track like Tulsa could be packed by simply offering Top Fuel or Funny Car. Qualifying one day, eliminations the next. Track and NHRA both come away with huge ticket sales, with reduced event cost. What am I missing?

Luke,

I think you're missing the garantee that enough spectators would show up to make profitable. For the last two years TRP has had an Heritage Series race for the nitro cars there, but the track just might not be getting a return on their investment. Granted, most of the race teams for the Heritage Series come form far away.

I know the NHRA has its faults, but unless I'm missing something, I don't see how a switch would help with the specific things they're complaining about. It's not like they'd be getting a national event with IHRA or WDRA, neither of which operates a national touring series. And how many more cars would a double pull in that it would turn an unprofitable event into a profitable one, especially since Tulsa isn't the biggest of facilities? Topeka can handle the crowds coming in from all over because its pit area is massive, but I don't see that being the case for Tulsa. I wonder what kind of car counts and how close to capacity they get for the single divisional.

Now seems like a risky time to make a move. Tracks have left IHRA in droves for the new WDRA, which is an upstart and carries all the uncertainty that comes with that. It's interesting to me that they haven't pulled in NHRA tracks yet, though.
Based on Tulsa's comments, I would guess NHRA's take from allowing those races to happen a their track is too large

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back