Indy Testing (1 Viewer)

Huge

Nitro Member
It looks like the track is pretty stout from the numbers they are running at the Indy test session. We could see some mph records fall in the Friday night qualifying session. Cory Mac runs 3.790 at 324.28 mph in his dragster, and Bob Tasca runs 4.077 at 309.84 mph in his funny car. They were low for the nitro cars.

Last edited:
Kurt Johnson...(no..the other Kurt Johnson);) and his staff at ORP really did a great job with track prep. It would be cool if NHRA let his group do the same for the first race of the countdown...

How about that Cory Mac.... runs a .79 at a BOOMING speed of 324 and change!!! Wow.... what do they have in that thing? ;) Todd O and Phil super powers...that's WHAT!

As far as the sub-4 second FC pass....conditions are going to have to be Candy-Land for that to happen... Not sure Indy Labor Day weekend is going to yield those numbers

As far as the sub-4 second FC pass....conditions are going to have to be Candy-Land for that to happen... Not sure Indy Labor Day weekend is going to yield those numbers

Mid 80's predicted for Indy next weekend, which should cool into the low-mid 70's during evening qualifying. That part will work. But I don't think anyone will push for a sub-4. Setting a national record is a good thing, and 20 points, but it's not as crucial at this point as it might become four races from now.

The main thing is to come away from Indy with a win or at least a good showing. I don't look for anyone to blow a night session trying to rotate the earth - especially at this race. A plain ol' 4.05 will probably suffice. :)

Mid 80's predicted for Indy next weekend, which should cool into the low-mid 70's during evening qualifying. That part will work. But I don't think anyone will push for a sub-4. Setting a national record is a good thing, and 20 points, but it's not as crucial at this point as it might become four races from now.

why? Are the 20 points more valuable 4 races from now? 20 points are 20 points no matter when the race.

I don't look for anyone to blow a night session trying to rotate the earth - especially at this race. A plain ol' 4.05 will probably suffice.

For the first time ever, we are going to have two night sessions at Indy. The crew chiefs will go for what they think the track will hold.....and if they think that number is a 3.99 then you may see one.....

For the first time ever, we are going to have two night sessions at Indy. The crew chiefs will go for what they think the track will hold.....and if they think that number is a 3.99 then you may see one.....

Wasn't aware of that; yep, they might and that would be unreal. I still say, don't hold your breath. They're concentrating on consistency, qualifying position and winning the event, not national records (although one would be nice), unlike when they get to Vegas or Pomona and should a Schumacher/Kalitta (or Force/Hight) scenario unfold, that record will have a lot more significance. If Hight were to set the record at Indy, then bomb the rest of the season, the record means little. If he's 15 points behind going into one of the last two races, the record could mean the difference between Champion and First Loser.

Which is what I was trying to say. I understand the difference between 20 and....20. :)

Last edited:
once again - nhra purses are negligible and although IRP is a beautiful facility,
it is not on par with brutons stuff.
how can nhra make indy still appear as 'the race'?
- great track prep and evening sessions to allow for great e.t.'s is certainly
cheaper than capital improvements to the facility.
- give these guys a great track and evening temps & they will swing for
the fence - guaranteed

how can nhra make indy still appear as 'the race'?

50 years of tradition - it IS the Big Go - and the Countdown Kickoff event. Other than that, it's just a track.

A 3-second FC pass would be the buzz for awhile but it won't do anything for making Indy 'the race', anymore than Topeka is 'the race' because it was the site of the first 4 second, 300mph FC pass back in 1993. Cory Mac ran the quickest ET in 1000 foot history and a year from now 9 out of ten people won't remember where he did it.

I'll agree completely that if cars capable of dipping in the 3's are deeply qualified after the first night session and conditions are perfect for night #2, look out.

Wasn't aware of that; yep, they might and that would be unreal. I still say, don't hold your breath. They're concentrating on consistency, qualifying position and winning the event, not national records (although one would be nice), unlike when they get to Vegas or Pomona and should a Schumacher/Kalitta (or Force/Hight) scenario unfold, that record will have a lot more significance. If Hight were to set the record at Indy, then bomb the rest of the season, the record means little. If he's 15 points behind going into one of the last two races, the record could mean the difference between Champion and First Loser.

Which is what I was trying to say. I understand the difference between 20 and....20. :)

Carl, these guys tune their cars to what they think the track will hold or in our case, what we think is within reason of our knowledge and parts.

If the track capable of holding a national record run, then it might happen. It would be tough to play the points game in that situation, because there are more than a couple cars capable of doing it. Who's to say the conditions later in the year will be condusive to record runs?

The main thing is to come away from Indy with a win or at least a good showing. I don't look for anyone to blow a night session trying to rotate the earth - especially at this race. A plain ol' 4.05 will probably suffice. :)

Carl I've been to Indy 17 times for the U.S. Natl's! I couldn't count the number of Mid 80's Forcasts that ended up in the 90's! I'll believe it when I see it!

Opinions from the sidelines aren't the same as facts from those who are out there doing it every day....so thanks. I hope you guys do well, Tony...:)

17 times, Joe? You must know the location of every outhouse and hot dog stand on the property by now :D

i guess i must still be on the sidelines

You know Mike I was thinking the same thing...? I dont know Mr. Lowell but I tend to think he knows all to well about speaking from the sidelines. Sorry I aint with you guys next weekend But Scoots has a plan cookin for next year.

50 years of tradition - it IS the Big Go - and the Countdown Kickoff event. Other than that, it's just a track.........

next year is 30 years of tradition at brainerd - it IS the big Zoo - and the
regular season finale was held there this year. other than that, it's just
a track :rolleyes:

whatever - until indy goes back to something resembling special big money races, double points and/or double money for winners.........sorry, will watch
the race with equal enthusiasm as the other 22; 21 next year.

You know Mike I was thinking the same thing...? I dont know Mr. Lowell but I tend to think he knows all to well about speaking from the sidelines.

I'm pretty sure that's an insult, Barnes, so I'll ask you guys to reread my post. "Opinions from the sidelines (me) aren't the same as facts from someone out there doing it every day (Tony Smith of Zizzo Racing)...and I thanked him for giving me what I considered a respectful correction.

I'm depressed. Started racing around the same time Eddie Hill did, and in the same town - and I still don't get no respect. :(

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's an insult, Barnes, so I'll ask you guys to reread my post.
"Opinions from the sidelines (me) aren't the same as facts from someone out there doing it every day (Tony Smith of Zizzo Racing)...and I thanked him for giving me what I considered a respectful correction.
I'm depressed. Started racing around the same time Eddie Hill did, and in the same town - and I still don't get no respect. :(

NO Insult intended

Tony this is not ment to disrespect you or TJ.

Just a rebuttal to the above commit:

TJ Zizzo Racing 2010 3 National Events

Commercial Metal Fabricators Racing 2010 7 National Events

I think that qualifies.

NO Insult intended

Tony this is not ment to disrespect you or TJ.

Just a rebuttal to the above commit:

TJ Zizzo Racing 2010 3 National Events

Commercial Metal Fabricators Racing 2010 7 National Events

I think that qualifies.

Well damn Sean!!!...lol.:D

I was gonna stick up for my buddy Mike, but I had to take the kids to Portillos...anybody from the Chicago area will understand.:cool:

I was gonna stick up for my buddy Mike, but I had to take the kids to Portillos...anybody from the Chicago area will understand.:cool:

Sorry Tony I am just a fly in guy from the west coast But I work with that gang

Last edited:

did ya bring me back an Italian Beef w/mozzarella and a piece of chocolate cake?

see ya next tomorrow.....maybe even on the track next weekend if they let me off the sidelines....just some good natured ribbing on my part Carl.....all in good fun

Sean, I'm confused. I don't want to continue an off-topic conversation here, but I need to take one post and set things straight.

Mike and Mike,
If I torqued off you guys, neither of whom I know one thing about, my apologies to the two of you. I took minor issue with the 20-point deal and if you were John Force himself, I would have said the same thing. I absolutely didn't intend disrespect and I don't consider what I said disrespectful, either. If that's how you interpreted it, please forgive.

Tony Smith:
I know of your involvement with the TJ Zizzo Top Fuel Dragster and of course I'm going to respect what you have to say about setting national records. That's why I replied to you "opinions from the sidelines" (ME) aren't the same as facts from those out there doing it every day (YOU) and said, "thanks". I'd call that respectful, wouldn't you? Because it was certainly meant as such...

Once again, I'm the guy on the sidelines. You guys are the ones out doing it every day. I'll certainly choose my words more carefully in the future and offer apologies to all. In return, please stop bashing me over this as by now it should be perfectly clear what I was trying to convey.

Not sure what else I'm supposed to say, other than I wish I'd gone fishing today instead of posting in this thread.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back