Indy sponsor (1 Viewer)

None. Ran TA/FC some years back but run a blown altered that is not NHRA legal to run Top Dragster because I run a clutch. Huh??
You can't run a clutch in T/D? Learn something new everyday.

You can't run a clutch in T/D? Learn something new everyday.
Long story and I have fought it for years but the short version is there is a rule that states if you have a supercharged "dragster" you must run a torque converter. No divisional director even knew the rule was in there. All I learned was the rules were probably cut and pasted from IHRA. Like running a clutch against converter driven dragsters with electronics is an advantage. Right. Even though an altered is not a dragster I still got booted. "It means all cars" is what I was told. No desire to run NHRA anymore even if they did deem it legal.

if nhra has shipping containers for temporary tower, toyota should place a static (tied to ground) hot air balloon directly behind.
like the ubiquitous blow-up advertising signs the nhra always uses, but on steroids. inflate when winds allow.

As much as I hope they have a plan in place, there is an opportunity to implement some good ol' rock & roll touring technology to build a temporary tower structure in a few days before the event that could be epic.

A lot of the mega stages that are built for Taylor, Garth, Metallica, etc. have an amazing amount of technology integrated into them, as well as creature comforts (Madonna has a mini-suite built under her stage, complete with plumbing and power).

Hey NHRA- do you need a design? 😉

We are two races from the "Grand Daddy of them all" and we finally procured a title sponsor (Toyota) for Indy. Keep telling us how great the economy is...
Kind of odd that Toyota would be the sponsor of the biggest race of the year at "Lucas Oil Indianapolis Raceway Park". Wouldn't it seem reasonable that Lucas would be the sponsor?

Kind of odd that Toyota would be the sponsor of the biggest race of the year at "Lucas Oil Indianapolis Raceway Park". Wouldn't it seem reasonable that Lucas would be the sponsor?
no. we are fortunate lucas has the naming rights to the venue, plus sponsors pomona and brainerd, not to mention their other sponsorships, such as the stadium in indianapolis,
which recently hosted the USA olympic swimming trials.
the real sad state of affairs is how toyota was a last minute sign-up for indy, and 4 of 6 'playoff' races are yet to sign a sponsor.

Why would they? What would the additional sponsorship money bring Lucas that it is not already getting?

Sponsorships are about the return to the sponsor. When an event can't get a sponsor, it generally means the cost of the sponsorship exceeds the potential return.

no. we are fortunate lucas has the naming rights to the venue, plus sponsors pomona and brainerd, not to mention their other sponsorships, such as the stadium in indianapolis,
which recently hosted the USA olympic swimming trials.
the real sad state of affairs is how toyota was a last minute sign-up for indy, and 4 of 6 'playoff' races are yet to sign a sponsor.

This may also speak to the fragile state of the economy, especially with so much uncertainty about who will win the election in November.

This may also speak to the fragile state of the economy, especially with so much uncertainty about who will win the election in November.
More likely, it speaks to the poor return sponsors get for their money, particularly compared to other marketing expenditures.

This is where the Red Writer would be great for a realistic answer: How much, on average, does it cost for NHRA to put on a weekend race?

Seeing that they load-in on Wednesday and are gone by Monday morning, it's not just 2-3 days; I know how much it costs to put on an arena-level concert, so I imagine doing ANY sort of sporting event has got to require monster amounts of capitol (read: event title sponsors).

not to mention way less car counts (quotas) than in previous years. less take, more expense.

I believe the ROI for sponsoring a national event is probably pretty strong, especially I don't believe it's a gigantic number. Remember, the whole ad space has changed drastically, so it takes more work and creativity to lock in those deals. It seems like most on this board take a glass half empty point of view, I'm guessing because most here have been around the sport for awhile and long for "the good old days". There are certainly many aspects of the sport that I miss from years gone by, but I believe there is an awful lot to enjoy now as well. This sport is over 70 years old, there aren't many things in the world that stay the same for 70 years. All things considered, I'm enjoying what the sport has to offer today, and not stress over car counts and sponsors or whatever. With all that's happening in the world right now, I'm happy that there's still an Indy to attend on Labor Day weekend, with a huge variety of the baddest hot rods on the planet.

I believe the ROI for sponsoring a national event is probably pretty strong, especially I don't believe it's a gigantic number.
I wonder what sales increase comes from sponsoring an event. I doubt there is much. I think it is a case where when they look at the money, it does not make a lot of sense unless NHRA offers them a really good deal. In the case of Toyota, sponsoring Indy could be a move to help NHRA avoid looking bad.

I look at Mars and its decision to cancel its NASCAR sponsorship last year after more than 20 years. That says something. There are so many other ways to spend sponsorship dollars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back