Indy Memories, 32 cars, Modified Protest -- etc ... (1 Viewer)

I was at Indy during this race and saw the protest. It was done very orderly and respectful of the event, but got it's message across - even though it fell on deaf ears.

Like I said earlier.....if ME eliminator was more popular NHRA would have never ended the class!

I think Modified Eliminator's greatest popularity was among the racers themselves. They were "real racer" classes with a lot of high-revving, wheelstanding, gear-jamming hot rods. Of course that was back when NHRA was about race cars and competition; before the "show" and TV package became their primary focus.

joe, did you ever see modified run ? 4 speed cars w/4links. where do you think alot of this technology came from. ever heard of tony christian rehr morrison, coonce and clark,kopp lingafelter, mike edwards. i guess i could go on and on but you get the idea. most all the good p/s teams came from modified. i was at indy the year they protested. i think there was about 150 cars for a 48 car field. bring back modified and see good racing again.

This isn't Indy but it was my first NHRA race 1976 Winternationals. Modified Eliminator was going strong, Tony Christinson White Corvette pulling wheels in every gear and to my memory the stands were full and the people loved it. Also the first time I saw Alcohol Funny Cars run, I believe it was a Vega and it was late in qualifying the car made a pass and then drove car back down return road in front of crowd and got back in staging lanes before shutting car off. I think everybody in stand were on their feet cheering. It was a great time well worth the 3000 mile trip. Also went to Orange County, Irwindale as well.

Lots of things have changed, and will never be the same. We're not likely to see a 32 car Indy TF field, although I think if NHRA promoted it, it could happen. We're not going to see Pro Comp or twin engine dragsters, etc. But, there's an awful lot to enjoy right now. Healthy fuel fields given the economy, Pro Mod, and the new supercars from Detroit, to name a few. I had lunch with my buddy Chuck Comella, he and his son Steve run one of the faster Hemi Shootout cars, and he told me there are 28 SS/AH cars entered, which may be a record. So there's a lot to take in. Remember, these are the good old days...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back